SS2000 – To the QLD Border to see what I can see!

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I aspire to keep myself “ride fit” and that means you gotta put in the miles. Friday 5 January looked good for a day ride and as I haven’t been to Queensland for a while I thought why not ride up to the Qld border to see what I can see?

IMG_2377.PNG
To the Qld border to see what I can see

Temperatures in the high 30’s were forecast, which was an added bonus for testing my hydration and fatigue management strategies. Out with the cool vest, the electrolyte drink and the esky was strapped to the pillion seat ready for departure.

IMG_2347.jpg
This esky should do the trick

Checking the temperature at midnight it was a balmy 21 degrees in Canberra, with mid to high 30’s forecast for later in the day. Perfect! My choice of riding gear for this was the usual Ruka airflow jacket over a full length sports top and the Cool Vest. (unwetted to start with). Collecting my receipt at the local ATM it was warm alright! I rode out of the local shops just before 1:00am and pointed the bike northwards to the border.

IMG_2348.jpg
Lets get this ride started

The moon and stars were out and I had the Federal Highway to Goulburn all to myself, other than a couple of juvenile roos who were playing on the highway near the Sutton turn off and wanted to keep me a company for a while before they ran out of puff. Otherwise there was nothing, just the quiet countryside washed in moon light, and me, myself and I.

That all changed once I got the Hume and joined the semi’s heading for Sydney, it was wall to wall semi’s, this would have to be busiest I’ve ever seen it. While it’s great for the avoidance of Roos’ on a dual lane carriage way like the Hume at 2:00am the motorcycle disappears into the sea of LED lights from the big rigs and I had more than once instance of a semi looking to overtake another as I was passing. The K1600 has great throttle response which was put to good use!
Rolling into Sydney around to Pennant Hills Road via the M7 I had a dream run, no traffic, with no roadworks and on Pennant Hills Road I had no red lights, straight through to the Newcastle motorway! Before I knew it I was out the other side of Sydney and settling in for the ride up the coast, where I arrived in Newcastle right on sunrise.

IMG_2349.jpg
Sunrise near Newcastle

On to The Bucketts Way, where I turned west and headed for Stroud and then Gloucester. The ride through the forests on The Bucketts Way was glorious, no traffic, early morning and cool. Gloucester was my first fuel stop at 550km. Topped up both tanks, followed by a coffee and Cornish Pastie from the bakery. All done very efficiently, before heading northwards on Thunderbolts Way to Walcha, then Uralla. The ride up Thunderbolts was awesome as always, rough but oh so good. Stopped briefly at the lookout for a photo and stopped again at Walcha to change gloves.

IMG_2358.jpg
A kindred Spirit on the Postie Bike

At Uralla, I turned right onto the New England Highway for the transit leg to the Queensland Border. And settled into watch the kilometres fall away, nothing to do but keep those wheels turning and listen to the cricket as the Australian batsman went about their work under a hot summer sun. My run of luck with the traffic continued with not a lot of cars/trucks or dreaded caravans on the road. Awesome and this really helped maintain a good ride pace through the towns of New England. The temperatures were up but not uncomfortably so, all in all not a bad day to be out riding.

IMG_2360.jpg
The New England Countryside looked great!

Arriving at Wallangarra I grab a couple of photos and the required receipt before adjourning to some shade to have a cold drink. It’s warm now. I’m half expecting Brooke Hornsby as I know he’s out riding also and hoping our schedules coincide. It’s not to be today and I start my return leg, this part of the ride is basic, follow the New England Highway all the way back to Newcastle and I’m hoping I have timed my ride to avoid the worst of the traffic.

IMG_2362.jpg
So this is Queensland

IMG_2365.jpg
Using my time in Queensland wisely...collecting a receipt

As I make my way southwards through the Tenterfield and then Glen Innes the temperatures jump into the mid 30’s and then start nudging 38 degrees. It’s warm alright, but I’ve ridden in worst.

IMG_2366.jpg
Lunch in Tenterfield looked tempting...maybe next time

IMG_2367.jpg
They like their rocks around here

At Uralla I take a scheduled rest and have a sandwich and iced coffee in the truck stop. The cool vest is wetted down along with the neck scarf, the camelback is topped up and I’m good to go again.

Somewhere on the New England Highway

Riding through Tamworth it’s almost 40 degrees and the bike fan is working overtime with the temperature gauge slowly climbing upwards. Heading southwards through Scone and Muswellbrook I strike the late Friday afternoon commuter traffic, slow but it could be worse and I use the slower pace to just listen to the cricket and enjoy the heat of the afternoon. In Singleton I ride into the easterly sea breeze which is a welcome relief after the last 6 hours, I imagine I can even smell the sea!

Singleton on a Friday night

From Singleton it’s an easy gallop down to the Newcastle Express Way junction with the M1, where I am jolted back to reality, joining the madness of an early Friday evening M1 traffic made up of returning holiday makers desperate to be get back to Sydney. Sheesh! Plenty of time to just zen out and do my thing, quietly and efficiently working my way through this madness, while staying out of the way. As planned I arrive back at Pennant Hills Road about 7:00pmish, which is perfect, I’m through and out onto the M7 relatively easily where I settle in for the evening/night run down to Yass. The last fuel stop of the ride is at Sutton Forest and I take 10 minutes to have some food and a cool drink, clean the lights and ready myself for the last few hours in the dark.

Sunset on the Hume

Back out onto the Hume heading southwards and I’m sure I’m seeing the same semi’s I was riding with this morning as we motored northwards. It’s another beautiful evening, the stars are out and the traffic is not that heavy which is great. Goulburn passes by and before too long I roll into the Yass Service centre to collect my corner docket at kilometre 1964. The service centre resembles a scene from a Zombie movie, very tired and dazed people are wandering around unable to make decisions and I burn some time waiting to buy my Cherry Ripe and collect that receipt. The attendant looks so relieved when he sees I only want to purchase the one thing (and actually know what I want), he breaks into a smile.

Night time riding..."soon be home, only just a few miles down the road"

I’m glad to be out of there and back onto the Hume Highway northwards where I take the Barton Highway for Canberra. I take the long way around Scrivener Dam, this section has great corners and is a great way to wrap up a day out riding. At my local shopping centre, I collect my finishing receipt and then head home, job done!

A nice day ride

2049km for a SS2000 is a great way to start the New Year. Hettie is excited at the new smells on the bike and I have drag her out of the garage so I can close everything up and head for some quality sleep time.

Acknowledgement to Wombattle - yes I've copied his habit of celebrating completion of a ride with a Cherry Ripe

Last edited:

Tele

Premier Member
Another top effort Martin. A great day out with some valuable fitness kilometres under the belt. :)
I don't know what it is about Yass service centre .... on the few occasions I have been there late at night I have always been amazed by the "strange" people who inhabit the place ...... not sure where they come from or why they are there o_O
Great report as always mate!

Tele

Premier Member
Interesting .... the photos in this report did not load for me on my work computer (Internet Explorer) and tonight at home they still are not visible on the Apple (Safari) laptop. I can only assume that they are visible to others?

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hmmm, this is interesting re the Photos. They have loaded no problem on my PC but when I use either my phone or IPad they are not visible.
Any thoughts on this?

I'm using Google Chrome as my web browser and Google Photos as the photo hosting. I've tried a different method of posting a photo below. let me know if you can see it

IMG_2377.PNG

Last edited:

Brookester

Premier Member
Hmmm, this is interesting re the Photos. They have loaded no problem on my PC but when I use either my phone or IPad they are not visible.
Any thoughts on this?

I'm using Google Chrome as my web browser and Google Photos as the photo hosting. I've tried a different method of posting a photo below. let me know if you can see it

View attachment 1255
No problems with either on my Samsung Note4..

HACKLE

Great read and photos [up to "stonehenge"]. Warming up, or just another practice run. Terrific way to start the year.

Tele

Premier Member
I am back at work today Martin and I can see your Spot track and the first 10 photos (same as Rus, photos OK now up to the Celtic Country rock structure).

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Wonderful read and pics Martin.
We may have missed each other in Walcha by perhaps only e few minutes few minutes judging by the shadows on the ground.

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
Hey Martin - great ride in the heat. Congratulations!
Good work building the ride fitness.
That Tenterfield restaurant looks like the Addams Family mansion! :eek:

I can see ten photos, with the last five not visible.

You could have a look at imgur.com
Load from computer/phone/device, all can be linked, and with the click of a button you can alter the size of each posted photo as you go.
I'm very happy with it.