Tablet Use instead of Notebook or PC for trip planning

TdLpps

Premier Member
I've almost completely abandoned my desktop except for trip planning and sending routes to my 595 and won't likely rebuild it again. Since the Ipad and Garmin don't talk to each other, and I am not aware of an App that would allow for the Apple Basecamp to be run, I am considering giving my wife my nearly new Ipad and investing in a Windows Surface Pro tablet.

It appears to have the processing power and memory to run Garmin Express and the Windows Basecamp version and should work with the drivers to recognize the 595. My question is, is anyone using one of these new tablets for in the field trip planning instead of a notebook? They seem like they would be a lot more versatile and being fully solid state, less likely to die while being transported in a top case. A search on the site came up with no meaningful results.

If you have, any pros and cons to consider? Thanks.

R

Roy Kjendal

I've almost completely abandoned my desktop except for trip planning and sending routes to my 595 and won't likely rebuild it again. Since the Ipad and Garmin don't talk to each other, and I am not aware of an App that would allow for the Apple Basecamp to be run, I am considering giving my wife my nearly new Ipad and investing in a Windows Surface Pro tablet.

It appears to have the processing power and memory to run Garmin Express and the Windows Basecamp version and should work with the drivers to recognize the 595. My question is, is anyone using one of these new tablets for in the field trip planning instead of a notebook? They seem like they would be a lot more versatile and being fully solid state, less likely to die while being transported in a top case. A search on the site came up with no meaningful results.

If you have, any pros and cons to consider? Thanks.
I have a dell Venue Pro that is windows based. It's not as fast as I'd like but it does run BC and Express, etc. I plan on using it as a backup to my PC>