This summer - 1,000 mile or 1,500 mile ride - Consider a part of IBA long-distance riding history

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Know I'm not a paid spokesperson... just a passionate rider who loves history so want to share this! And my 33YO daughter reminds me "Dad, don't be TLDR" She educated me... means Too Long Didn't Read... but ask you read this...

This past weekend 9 riders were IBA certified as Wyman Day-Ride finishers riding along a segment of George Wyman's historic 1903 route from Ogallala, Nebraska to Perrysburg, Ohio, in all around 1,050 miles, yup, me being one of them. What's pretty darn cool about this ride is continually riding within an earshot of the train whistles clicking along the same general railroad route that George rode back in 1903.

And then I thought how Tim Masterson follows you along your Wyman ride and your ride can be certified within hours of completion, whether as a Premier Member, Non-Premier Member, or not yet an IBA member (your first IBA ride). What a great experience for first-time riders gaining entry into the IBA as well as seasoned IBA riders riding a part of history!

Weather was absolutely perfect on Thursday on a planned BBG with fellow IBA rider Gene Cofer, from Memphis to Las Vegas, New Mexico to Ogallala, Nebraska where we'd start our Wyman SS1000 Day-Ride. But had a slight delay staying an unplanned day in Pueblo, Colorado ... drive belt lost some teeth north of Trinidad Thursday night. An SUV pulled up as we were making calls and he offered to go get his trailer and give a tow to the next town-up 20 miles north. We accepted. Come to find out, he and his wife run an RV resort that tailors to TAT riders... Spanish Peaks ... Making a point to visit them in the future!

Parts were shuttled down from Colorado Springs Friday night and Outpost H-Ds service manager in Pueblo started on my bike at 5am Saturday morning and I was back on the road at 9:30am. Talk about awesome service! Gene and I finished our Wyman Day-Ride SS1000 without incident and so did the other 7 riders the day before.

So, all this aside.... Looking for rides to do this summer? Suggest a Wyman Memorial Challenge ride.

The window to ride Wyman Memorial Challenge rides each year is 16 May to 6 July and a 'first' this year is the Wyman Memorial Challenge Day-Rides; SS1000s and BBGs. Further, your ride can be certified within hours of completion, whether as a Premier Member, Non-Premier Member, or not yet an IBA member (your first IBA ride).

Pick your day and route. Sign-up is Easy-Peasy here at Ride Master: https://rides.jasonjonas.com/

- A Wyman ride closely traces George Wyman's 1903 trek across America; his was the first on a motorized bicycle.
- The route generally follows I-80, west to east. Create your own, most convenient, 'Wyman Day-Ride' 1000 mile or 1500 mile route in under 24 hours.
- Most westerly start is Lotta's Fountain in San Francisco, most easterly ending point is New York City.
- Your ride start and end locations for Wyman Day-Rides must be at RONs (George's Remain Over Night) locations along his historic route.

Gist of all this ... if interested, suggest take some time and pick out a 1000 or 1500 mile segment along George's route, riding a Wyman Day-Ride and enjoy taking-in a part of LD riding history.

For more on Wyman rides, click here:
https://ironbutt.com/themerides/wyman/

Hope this helps as you explore Long-Distance riding options.

Attachments