Those ezpass,ktag boxes

Someone from the area that uses these things please tell us if they need to send us a different box or transponder for a motorcycle.
The sweet little lady that I talked to didn't seem to know what the hell was going and I certainly didn't either.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Generally no, although some state such as NY have an extra discount on certain roads for motorcycles if you have a MC transponder

igneouss

Premier Member
I have a couple of easy passes. They are supposed to be linked to a specific vehicle. They have a motorcycle specific unit. But if you used a car unit on your bike I am pretty sure no one cares. However, if you get caught using the motorcycle unit in a car then they get upset. Also, when I went to get my motorcycle unit they wanted to see me and the motorcycle registration in person. (Why it matters example: The DC beltway hot lanes will charge you like a car if you use the car pass on your bike. If you have a bike specific unit it's less or free.) Car units you can get through the mail.

Not the simple answer but I hope this helps.

For other readers that might be curious:
Easy Pass covers just about everything east of the Mississippi not including Florida. It is the most widely used pass. If you only get one get this one.
Sun Pass covers Florida. It's a pain to travel in Fl without one.
K-pass works in Kansas. Not too many roads but a few. K-Pass and Pike Pass are interchangeable I believe.
Pike Pass covers Colorado.
Texas and California have plate read systems. Maybe someone else can chime in on how these work?

David Yanke

Premier Member
My ipass is linked to all my vehicles. At least in my state, Illinois, I do not even need the ipass with me as they scan the license plate as you go through. I am told it works in other states, however since I have it with me anyway, have never "tested" that theory. I know the ipass works at least any place that ezpass works, which currently is Illinois, Delaware, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia and West Virginia. Having said that, the tolls vary greatly, which for those of us that live in Illinois are used too since it can vary here from toll to toll on same road. Almost every one of these states, maybe all, offer significant discounts for using the ipass/ezpass. There is no cost for the ipass transponder although it needs to be linked to a credit card or bank account to keep it "filled". Transponders are same for all vehicles. ipas is about the size of a cigarette pack (a little thinner.

Last edited:

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I was told the motorcycle ones are waterproof but the ones that are to be mounted on the car windshield are not. With that said, I ran a regular car unit on my bike for years with no issues. I had no issue getting my two bike ezpass units.

Also, as stated above some roads have different toll rates for bikes

I just got a replacement EZ Pass transponder unit for my bike ... they have asked me to return the 'car' unit I had been using. EZ Pass works for me from IL all the way to NJ ... easily saves an hour each way on I-80 not having to stop, wait, dig for toll money! IL gives you 1/2 off when you use it!

David Yanke

Premier Member
In almost every , as long as the plate is registered to the device, you do not have to carry the actual device. They do this to allow for transponder not being picked up properly, dead batteries, etc.

I often do not have them in my other vehicles, for years, and they are all registered to same device. As such, where you put it in the bike really does not matter.

Having just switched to VA ezpass( i have had Massachusetts units because VA use to charge a monthly maintenance fee) I can shed some light on this. Went to the DMV to grab 3 units: my truck, wifes car, and the bike. All 3 units were the same, the one for the bike had to be taken into the back room and reprogrammed to read as a motorcycle/change the reference code to 136(motorcycle). Nothing special about the unit in any other way.

https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/reference_codes.pdf