Underware Suggestions ?

I am still working up my long distance riding ability. Currently located in hot humid Florida.

Any suggestions as to some of the better brands and model / part number of riding underwear?

(Already have adjusted, bars, risers, foot pegs, highway pegs and planning on trying out a Sargent seat

on my 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere ES.

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
+1 for LDComfort
socks - long tights - long T - helmet liner
All works great for the past 4 yrs on ALL weather conditions in 4 continents.
Casual/Certified/Rally riding...

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I have been impressed with the comfort and quality and price of base layers you can purchase at Target (big advantage is you can try them on first - to maximize performance; base layers should fit snug; but some can be so tight it makes me feel like a sausage). I recommend a full-length bottom and long sleeve top. It may not initially seem intuitive; but you will be much more comfortable than wearing thigh length bottoms and a short sleeved shirt, even on the hottest days. On longer rides; I like to carry an extra set of base layer clothing I can change after riding all day if I plan to ride through-out the night.

Scott

Mario's shorts are good even in hot weather. I really like the "roo" opening to take care of liquids. I haven't tried the long bottoms. But in hot weather (Texas) I don't care so much for the LD top. I had wetted it down and that is great for about an hour then after the water evaporates it is too hot. It doesn't seem to move my sweat away from my body. I don't like having to stop every hour to rewet it.

I have had good luck with Under Armor long sleeve, loose fitting tops and other brand of similar material. As for underwear, not shorts, for years I have worn Areostich Wickers. I don't think they have them anymore, or at least in black. I also liked the Aerostich original motorcycle shorts.

Also, I like Exofficio boxer briefs. Not too fond of the Under Armor boxer briefs.

None of this is cheap but my butt is worth the price. I have never had monkey butt even on hot & humid very long days.

Of course what works for me may not work for you. I had to experiment and I'm still trying new stuff.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
With a pumped hydration system, you don't have to stop to wet-down the shirt :D
Even with a gavity-fed hydration system (H2O bottle...), I've not really had the need to stop only for wetting a shirt.

Now, in conjunction with other reasons to stop, I will go and wet it down... :D

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If it's really hot, think Needles on July, when you fill your water system take about half a bag of ice and put it in your jacket. I close all vents but the left sleeve and snug the waist Velcro. As you ride stick your left a out in the wind as needed.
I can keep myself cool in high heat with this. I was not the originator of this idea but it'd a good one, for me anyway.

V

vikingolly

Mario will know that I own and use multiple editions of his excellent LD Comfort long-johns and shorts, plus the tops. I find them brilliant in cool to warm weather but not in very hot weather. Like another rider, I also use the long underpants from REI called "Exofficio". These were produced for the extreme marathon running or walking crowd. They are lighter and thinner and have one great advantage - they dry out over night when you stop at a hotel. I find that if I use LD Comforts, despite all the "towel rolling tricks" I Cannot get one pair fully dry in four hours, so have to carry multiple pairs. If you choose to use regular "shorts" type underwear, I suggest you try my long-ago experiment - go to a good department store and buy one pair of every brand they have - and try them out. This was a truly interesting experiment, as I purchased 16 pairs of which only two made it past the very initial test - Hugo Boss and Calvin Cline. To explain why would take a long time.....But start with "no seams in the crutch"!