Wanted: Aux Fuel Tank for 2014 Yamaha FJR

Hoping to find a Farkles by Maple aux tank for my 2014 FJR. I know they are few and far between. Would be open to other designs if someone has something else that works too. Would like to find a completed unit ready to install instead of buying all the parts myself. I'm not the mechanical type.

But hopefully someone had their fun and is ready to move on. Posted on some FJR forums but thought I would try here also.
Was hoping to get something before riding season starts. Late March/April

mdcarter89
Mike C

Auburn

Premier Member
For the cost of the marbles tanks, have thought about finding one you like and get the dimensions and approach a local fab shop? I would think you could get it made that way. Or consider trying to find one of the frankentanks that dirttracker30 on the FJRForum.com built.

It is an option and I have talked to a local fab shop. I just thought if I can find a "turn key" option of just buying one, that would be easier and quicker. We will see. Thanks

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If no one has one for sale, what style are you wanting? Flatbed, pillion seat area, tail dragger? Cheap and simple methods are available, but will require some effort. Figuring out how to mount a plate across your pillion seat and rear rack area isn't too hard. It's a good idea to keep the weight forward as much as possible to avoid subframe cracking.

Buy some foam craft boards at the Dollar Tree store and cut to the shape you like.
Decide if you're going to leave the pillion seat in place or remove it.
Figure out where you can bolt the plate up, what spacers you need to make it the angle you want or level.
How much size is available on the plate?

Spacers in all sizes can be found at ACE Hardware or any Farm Store like Wilco or Tractor Supply.

Now go look at fuel cells on ebay and other sources. Find one that will hold the fuel you want and fit the space you have. Buy it.

Place the fuel cell on your foam board that you've cut to the desired shape. Trim the foam board as required if the aux tank has a sump. Place your hose routing and make clearance cuts in the foam board as needed. Think about where your valve will be. Think about where your inline filter will be. Think about where your dry break fittings will be. (don't buy plastic drybreak fittings) Do by clear plastic fuel filters that don't come apart. Buy 3. One for the tank, one for the vent and one for a spare to keep on the bike. The vent one can be an emergency spare as well.

Once you're happy with the way the tank sits on the foam board, find a local shop that will cut that out in aluminum plate. I like 3/16" thickness, but sometimes you use what you can find. I've seen UHMW cutting boardsused instead of aluminum. A little thinner than I prefer, but with a flat fuel cell mounted to it, may be fine. Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

Buying a generic 5 gal fuel cell and having a modification to limit it to 4,8 gal can be done. Sometimes it's as simple as a sealed plastic container inserted into the fuel cell by removing the multi-bolt filler neck. One too large to pull out thru the neck, and large enough to offset the .2 gal, (25.6 oz). This handy and easily available device comes to mind - LINK Drink contents, fill with spray foam or other non-soluble material and maybe a weight so it doesn't float inside the tank.

Are you going to drill the tank for a bulkhead fitting, or use a siphon method?

This is a rough outline for a bolt together aux fuel system. If you have access to welders, there are options to keep the pieces to a minimum or have a more elegant mounting and securing method like the Tanji cells used.

Auburn

Premier Member
If you choose to mount to the grab bars on the FJR, I highly recommend you change the grab bar to a GIVI 357 which is a steel unit. Then you can make a flat plate on the back and bolt down a Pelican case. I did a mod to the stock top box mount to adapt it to work with the GIVI via an adapter plate that I made for my FJR.

Here are a few pictures of the mount shown with the modified Yamaha stock top case mount

The red plate is the adapter I made to move the top case back about 1.5 inches for my wife to have more room to sit up straight.

Here is a picture with the top case installed. Note, I have a Bushtec hitch installed which provides a tremendous amount of strength to the subframe. never had any issues with subframe cracking. Would recommend a hitch of some kind just to provide that additional support to the subframe and alleviate any cracking issues with the added loading.

Also, note the tank on this bike is the 2nd frankentank built. It is a 9.6 gallon tank. If you are not carrying a passenger, then ErivV's suggestion for the barrel type tanks is a great option. With the GIVE 357, you could weld tabs to it and use it as part of the mounting system. If you are carrying a passenger, the hitch system could provide a platform to weld supports to for a tail dragger system too.

As far as metal, I just went to a local steel supplier and bought what I wanted and used a saber saw with good Bosch metal cutting blades to cut it myself.

Auburn--I have that exact rack on the bike I bought a few weeks ago. And that would be the advantage of a smaller footprint for tank. (Instead of the Maples design) A person wouldn't have to take the rack off each time. Each design has its plus and minus for layout.

EricV--Thanks for those thoughts also. Going about it that way can take a little of the unknown out of the equation. And trusting the local fab shop to do their job also. We will see how things develop.

Appreciate the good advice. (And encouragement) from all.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just a tidbit about tanks. There are advantages to round tanks, but also to square ones. Some of the round tank sellers do a nice job of selling a complete package. I personally like the square ones because they sit flat against the mount and often have tabs already welded on to mount with. the strap over a round tank is still very secure. Different options on cap locations, etc. Be careful with round tanks for volume. They are notorious for being off, on both sides of the stated volume.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Auburn--I have that exact rack on the bike I bought a few weeks ago. And that would be the advantage of a smaller footprint for tank. (Instead of the Maples design) A person wouldn't have to take the rack off each time.
We're all different and use our bikes differently. But, once I installed my Tanji tank on my FJR, it never came off other than an odd maintenance job or the day I tore the bike down to stock to sell the bike. It's just too darn handy to have a big load platform there. Two cases of wine, no problem. Top box or hydration jug, sure! If you have a pillion to consider, just shake your head and tell them, "Well, I guess we need to find a bike for YOU to ride now. :)

The plastic Yamaha rack isn't worth using for a fuel cell. The Givi racks have been known to break too. There are stiffener brackets sold for the FJR to beef up the sub frame. Do that if you're going to hang a fuel cell off just the rack area. Or look at the hitch idea that Auburn mentions.

igneouss

Premier Member
I reached out to that fab shop in FL about a month ago. At that time the person told me they are not taking custom orders. Didn't sound like they intend to take them any time soon. The other thing I tried was Maple Farkles, but the proprietor seems to have vanished. I was about to send him money when all communication ceased. No idea about that...