Wells-Next-The-Sea 2020-07-04 12 noon

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
When any of you lot come down from oop north you'll clearly be coming along the A17 to get to Norfolk. After going over the Sutton bridge to head towards Kings Lynn there's average speed cameras. But they're front facing so you'll be safe and able to overtake muppets poodling along at less than 60 mph. But when you go back home just stick to the average speed limit as they'll then see your number plates. ;)

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I would like to attend this but see there are currently 16 riders going. So unless the guidelines change between now and then I'll pass.

Hope it changes by then as I've now got the Brit Butt Tour Bug and done most of the local ones now so need overnights to open up and Norwich has a few along the coast.

I have an IAM test due and the regional examiner has contacted me for my briefing using Zoom, who'd of thought at 69 I'd be learning new stuff!

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
The rules currently, 18th June, make it an offence to attend a meeting of more than 6 people or to incite others to break the rules.

This RTE is being called on the basis that the rules will have changed on or before 4th July.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just had a e-mail from Phil reflecting saphena's post so this RTE is cancelled unless the rules change then we can resurrect it
ttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do
It may work but looking increasingly unlikely
At present I reckon it's best to go out alone for daytime rides and avoid crowded/popular places.
We can build up our riding endurance again ready for long rides.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
In this current situation, the BBT makes good sense. I did 360 miles on Tuesday bagging the three along the Coast of Cumbria. Took my Coffee and Tunnocks Tea Cake for a morning snack, Wrap, Crisps, Apple and Juice for lunch and Tea and Chunky Kit Kat for afternoon tea. I had one Fuel Stop using the Shell App using my own Nitrile one use gloves and my AntiBacterial hand gel.

Felt very safe from the deadly bug and my only change for next weeks two bonus locations (Four of Hearts and King of Hearts) is to take my JetBoil as my tea was cold!

Same here i am riding alone up to now. Maybe come july relaxing the rules may allow gatherings in open spaces
It may be a case of what an individual feels to be safe and to use common sense. if somewhere is to crowded i simply ride on. lots of open moor land
"lost track of what the current rules are now"

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This is the Gov.uk/covid advice as from 4th July
Quote:
You should not:
  • gather indoors in groups of more than two households (your support bubble counts as one household) - this includes when dining out or going to the pub
  • gather outdoors in a group of more than six people from different households; gatherings larger than 6 should only take place if everyone is from just two households
So ride to eats inside and/or outside will still be restricted to 6 people from different households

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
According to government "guidance" we should all be avoiding unnecessary contact outside our family or "bubble". That's a biologically sound argument but what exactly is "the law" and what's actually happening? It's not clear to me what the law is. If you wish to follow the nerdy legal path, start with The Health Protection (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020

The quotes below are from the Official guidance here and more here.
  • "when you are outside you can continue to meet in groups of up to six people from different households, following social distancing guidelines"
  • "It will be against the law to gather in groups larger than 30 people, except for a limited set of circumstances to be set out in law"
  • "gather outdoors in a group of more than six people from different households; gatherings larger than 6 should only take place if everyone is from just two households"
  • "Gatherings of more than 30 people will be prohibited, apart from some limited circumstances to be set out in law."
  • "From 4 July, you can continue to meet in a group of up to six people from multiple households, or in a group made up of two households (your support bubble counts as one household), even if this is more than six people."
  • "You are allowed to meet in groups of either: up to 6 people from different households outdoors or any number if everyone is a member of your own household or a member of your support bubble"
  • "You must not meet in a group of more than 6 with people you do not live with or who are not in your support bubble unless one of the other limited exceptions as set out in law apply. This is prohibited in law. The relevant authorities, including the police, have the powers to enforce the law – including through fines and dispersing gatherings."
  • "You can travel to outdoor open space irrespective of distance, as long as you can return the same night and do not put others at risk because of services you may need in the time you are away. You should continue to avoid using public transport and should cycle, walk or drive wherever possible."
There are some language issues affecting the internal consistency of this guidance but two numbers stand out as being significant: 6 and 30.

It is clear to me that gatherings up to 6 are fine by pretty much any reading. Gatherings larger than 30 might be illegal. (It's not clear whether there is such a law but the suggestion is that there might be)

Gatherings between 6 and 30. Fine if only two families involved, might be illegal otherwise.

Today I visited my local Tesco where, despite them having got the whole social distancing thing done properly right from the start, I came within 1 metre of considerably more than 6 people, from several different families, indoors. As far as I'm aware, neither I nor anyone else in the store was breaking the law and, if we were, there is precious little chance of any of us being prosecuted.

On 4th July most of the pubs will be open. Any pub not able to attract a group of 30 won't have much of a future.

I don't think we should be "organising a party" but if I go for fish and chips by the seafront and see others I know I'll probably condescend to talk to them, from 2 metres away.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Personally I will not be there.
To me it's not a legal issue.
I still prefer to stay socially distanced to reduce contacts, lowering risk of infection to protect members of my family. That doesn't mean I won't continue riding.