Ride Around the Big Paddock

Status
Not open for further replies.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Bam is about 700km from Heartbreak Hotel now (about 1300hr local). If he fills everything when he gets there, then it is 602km from Heartbreak Hotel to Borroloola to Heartbreak Hotel to Barkly Homestead.

Prepurchase fuel at Heartbreak Hotel is a good idea.

However, with everything full including the 6L bladder and the (hopefully) purchased 5/10L jerry can he should make it to Barkly.
He will be travelling slowly on the way south from Heartbreak to Barkly in the dark if he has any sense of self preservation.

Considering the circumstances I'm confident the IBA would allow him the extra 2km.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The fires? Well that is an independent issue. Current NT road map shows the section from Barkly Homestead east to Avon as closed. Witha rest at Barkly he has until 0600hr to find out "what next".

Best of luck and rain Bam.

p.s. 10mins ago a vehicle fire 'incident' at Barkly Homestead....

tj189

Premier Member
Bam is about 700km from Heartbreak Hotel now (about 1300hr local). If he fills everything when he gets there, then it is 602km from Heartbreak Hotel to Borroloola to Heartbreak Hotel to Barkly Homestead.

Prepurchase fuel at Heartbreak Hotel is a good idea.

However, with everything full including the 6L bladder and the (hopefully) purchased 5/10L jerry can he should make it to Barkly.
He will be travelling slowly on the way south from Heartbreak to Barkly in the dark if he has any sense of self preservation.

Considering the circumstances I'm confident the IBA would allow him the extra 2km.
Receipts at 500km (oops 563KM or 350M)

MIXR

I've been following the wind reports and it's all over the place. Nothing from a constant direction to blow the fire(s) one way or the other. Fingers crossed for the route to clear before he hits any hot spots. It should be ok, but then depends on the crews to remove the closed signs before he gets to them.

cjmckay

Premier Member
My reading (for what little it is worth) of the plan and his current timings is that he is that he will be pushing to get into McArthur (stop 45 on his plan) before they shut the pumps off @ 9pm. Even if he does, he'd need a jerry can (i'd say the full 20L - I think his Harley will have a 22.7L tank) to be stashed for his return trip. At Borroloola, I'd be looking at Spotwalla and Photographic (digital with time and position stamping, even just as meta-data) evidence to support his 'corner mark' in the absence of a DBR. His Garmin would probably show time and that with the ODO in view (showing coords) would/should be as good as any DBR.

The alternate (if he has 2 x 6L fuel sacks) AND can get to McArthur in time is to fill and stash those (being 12L). He should have just under 10L in his tank after the return trip to Borroloola which would give him close to a full tank. He'll need it and would be on fumes coming into Barkley but it is doable(just).

The above are just thoughts from a relative newbie sitting in the comfort of his home in Sydney... not out on the road after 5 days feeling like this is all slipping between your fingers like the red-bulldust he is currently surrounded by.

MIXR

CJ - You may have done this too, but I found the run down to Barkley was very wind dependent (not counting fires!). When we did it on R1200GS bikes, we just made it in on the fuel we had in the stock tanks.

Like Bam, we were loaded for our Gulf ride (not aerodynamic) and had to restrict our speed considerably due to headwinds to conserve fuel even though we both carried 2 US gallon Rotopax in reserve. We didn't use the reserve fuel, but it was a close thing on the main tank.

Going slow to conserve fuel is a luxury he doesn't have if he's getting tight on time and starts out limited on fuel. I think he might be ok given what the resident experts are saying and by reading the wind reports and the fire updates, but it will be a close thing.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just called the Heartbreak Hotel and bought Bam 20L of fuel in a jerry can which they will leave for him.

Michael or Martin can you let him know this?

If he fills everything at Daly Waters a couple of options are:
- Heartbreak by 2100hr fill up, Boroloola for docket or witness or photos and SPOT evidence, return to Heartbreak. 224km. Jerry can only 12 or so litres and down to Barkly.
- Heartbreak closed, splash in 12 litres or so from jerry, Boroloola, Hearbreak for the other 8L, Barkly. Thats 881km and will need some supporting evidence from Boroloola.

Fatman or KiwiMartin can you forward the intel that he has 20L waiting for him. Whether and how he uses it or not is up to Bam of course.

Attachments

cjmckay

Premier Member
CJ - You may have done this too, but I found the run down to Barkley was very wind dependent (not counting fires!). When we did it on R1200GS bikes, we just made it in on the fuel we had in the stock tanks.

Like Bam, we were loaded for our Gulf ride (not aerodynamic) and had to restrict our speed considerably due to headwinds to conserve fuel even though we both carried 2 US gallon Rotopax in reserve. We didn't use the reserve fuel, but it was a close thing on the main tank.

Going slow to conserve fuel is a luxury he doesn't have if he's getting tight on time and starts out limited on fuel. I think he might be ok given what the resident experts are saying and by reading the wind reports and the fire updates, but it will be a close thing.
@MIXR - I'm yet to do the 'big lap'. A happen to ride a similar bike and just earlier this week re-ran my fuel efficiency calcs. Average over a SS1600K is 17km/L. I out of interest, ran the numbers on BAM from yesterday on some of his legs and he was right on the money. As I said - he could be on fumes.

My concern is, if he doesn't successful negotiate the McArthuer issue - then I think he'll miss his window for Normanton tomorrow. But the game is not yet over and I think we are all telling 'the fat lady' (as she tries to clear her throat) to take a seat in the back row and be quiet.

cjmckay

Premier Member
I just called the Heartbreak Hotel and bought Bam 20L of fuel in a jerry can which they will leave for him.

- Heartbreak by 2100hr fill up, Boroloola for docket or witness or photos and SPOT evidence, return to Heartbreak. 224km. Jerry can only 12 or so litres and down to Barkly.
- Heartbreak closed, splash in 12 litres or so from jerry, Boroloola, Hearbreak for the other 8L, Barkly. Thats 881km and will need some supporting evidence from Boroloola.

Fatman or KiwiMartin can you forward the intel that he has 20L waiting for him. Whether and how he uses it or not is up to Bam of course.
@OX-34 - You are a deadset legend. I've been pondering this particular solution all day....

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Mataranka now. Sunset at Daly Waters is in 168km is 18:34hr, so he will be in daylight with the sun at his back for a while on the road to Heartbreak Hotel so can maintain decent speed.

I still don't know what his current full fuel capacity is (22L up front and a 6L bladder) but my worst case scenario of 881km above needs 51L at his current (thanks Cameron) 17km/L. Tonight he needs 18.5km/L or so.....which is more likely at the slower speeds he will be at.

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

Actioned, just texted him with this good intel.

Ox, you're a legend!

MIXR

Bam seems to be stationary short of Larrimah. Maybe Warloch Rest Area.

Been there a while so probably having a break and/or topping up fuel from a collection of containers.

Spot has no battery status. I don't use it, so don't know how it works. Does it shut down when the bike is off? Doesn't matter. I'll look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.