48-in-10 Planning Minutiae

Just got back on Monday completing a 49/10 (8,400 on the clock and 11,000 total miles). I would highly recommend building a cushion in your ride itinerary for the unexpected. I encountered everything from severe weather, unannounced road closures/construction to just plain crazy traffic. I arrived in Hyder 8 days and 17 hours after departure. If possible - I would also recommend having an experienced LD rider function as your road captain/mission control to feed you information upcoming on the route and provide advice when you hit the wall physically/mentally. We too often place our spouse in this position which is not really fair since they are also dealing with worry and anxiety of us being on the road. Conversations with spouses needs to be all puppy dogs and rainbows on the ride so they do not worry while we can whine to a fellow LD rider who will help us focus on the next mile; and then the next etc.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Fantastic on-clock time on your ride...even with all the 'gloom and doom' you've described. :)

Nicely done!

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Fantastic on-clock time on your ride...even with all the 'gloom and doom' you've described. :)

Nicely done!
I have learned to delay writing the ride report because directly afterward we generally recall/describe the most challenging aspects where a little time provides more perspective and we appreciate the little things like a thumbs up from a passing motorist that keep us going. I hope some of my comments have not made it sound like doom and gloom. It really was one of the best rides I have ever completed. Obviously it had challenges - the reason why I embarked on the ride was because I wasn't sure I could do it. :)

wavid

Dave Long
Premier Member
I have learned to delay writing the ride report because directly afterward we generally recall/describe the most challenging aspects where a little time provides more perspective and we appreciate the little things like a thumbs up from a passing motorist that keep us going. I hope some of my comments have not made it sound like doom and gloom. It really was one of the best rides I have ever completed. Obviously it had challenges - the reason why I embarked on the ride was because I wasn't sure I could do it. :)

Congratulations, Scott. Well done!

Dave Long

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Yeah, uh-huh. :)

I thought I'd seen on a IBA page somewhere not long ago (searched my browser history to no avail...) that had given some small amount of history specifically about the 48-state ride. When one looks at the esteemed members who were certified first, the following names appear (emphasis added):

Maurice Donini 07/25/99 BMW K75RT 7,800
Glenn K. Pancoast 09/09/98 BMW K1100LT 7,700
Ron Ayres 06/09/98 BMW K1100LT
Bill Newton 09/01/96 Honda ST1100
Rick Morrison WA 09/01/96 BMW R100RT 8,456
Mary Johnson IN 09/01/96 BMW R1100R
Gary Johnson NY 09/01/96 Honda GL1500 8,641
Ron Major CA 09/01/96 Honda ST1100 8,886
Eric Faires TN 09/01/96 BMW R1100RS 8,994
Mike Kneebone IL 05/31/88 BMW K100LT
Fran Crane CA 05/31/88 BMW K100

Any ideas where I saw that?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
A 48-in-10 Attempt? Yup!

My biggest LD ride starts early Tuesday morning from outside Kingman, AZ. I've been thinking about it since soon after completing the 50cc I did nearly two years ago.

Pre ride details documented on my blog for others to see and maybe learn how to do this better...

https://kwthom.blogspot.com/

Tracking link for Spotwalla on the blog.

Thanks for all of the enabling... :)

A 48-in-10 Attempt? Yup!

My biggest LD ride starts early Tuesday morning from outside Kingman, AZ. I've been thinking about it since soon after completing the 50cc I did nearly two years ago.

Pre ride details documented on my blog for others to see and maybe learn how to do this better...

Ken - Great entries leading up to departure. I will certainly be following. Looks like a good plan; now all you have to do is the easy part..ride it. :)

Let me state - right now - that it'll be not quite as good as Scott's. :D

That was epic! Tough to match that one!

EDIT: I have one final pre-ride blog entry tomorrow afternoon.
Ken,

You have the experience and planning to complete the ride successfully. There are not many people that cans survive with as little sleep as Scott had for 8 days straight. Instead of expecting you to sleep 4 or less each night we will give you permission to get at least 6 hours. :D

Ride Safe,

Mark

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A 48-in-10 Attempt? Yup!

Ride safe and good luck!

"My route as it is now is approx. 2100 miles to the end, along with 500 more to get home. It was originally planned to be a 3+day trip toward the barn. I've had a real quick, back-of-the-envelope look at my time, and I am actually still within about two hours (to the good!) of my timeline as of end of day 6. This was intentional; I just had an inkling as I studied the route that today would be as bad as those 1000+ mile days. Yep, I was right."

The end is within reach. Get some good rest and good food.

-Mark

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Looks like Ken will hit a little weather while going through Atlanta during commute hours if he stays on this pace. It is a great feeling once you make the turn and are heading back west.