Adding a taildragger to my GL1800 - Learning as I go

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Very nice. Looks great and I hope it works well as long as you have it. I see that the aux tank cap is different from the first pic in the raw to the final painted versions. Is the black fuel cap internally tethered?
No, but I'd like to find a solution to that end. It's a locking Stant (brand) cap, the original one was only a quarter-turn cap.

As long as I hear a double *click* on the cap, I know that it's sealed properly and it can't be spun off without force. But I'd like to have a tether on it so that I don't keep knocking it on the ground.

I was never a big fan of drilling a fuel tap into the Gold Wing's sending unit. I know it's been done many times, and if done correctly the chance of leakage is minimal. But since the sending unit is below the max level of the tank to begin with, I didn't want to run the risk of creating a problem.

I had spoken with @Auburn many times about this project (he's probably sick of discussing it by now... ;) ), and we had the idea to mount an NPT fitting into the top of the tank, way up at the front, and have the fuel spray in like a shower head. After I very bravely let Bryan be my test Guinea Pig, he reported that experiment worked just fine on his bike. Later, when he would sell that bike to buy his current one, I very bravely purchased his modified tank, moved the fitting a couple inches forward (owing to differences in hardware placement between different model years of Gold WIng), and transferred the pump and sending unit over from my tank.

View attachment 10657
Shawn- what parts did you use on the stock gas tank? How did you seal the fitting into the plastic? Thank you