Container for food and protection?

chfnelson

Premier Member
I buy single slices of Spam that I keep in the trunk. I also carry individually wrapped Lifesavers in my tank bag. I have a one gallon water jug that I can strap to my passenger foot-board, with a plastic tube up to the handlebar.
I really don't want to take a gun into Canada, but with my CCW I can carry plenty of places in the States.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Some interesting methods and ideas. I have to wonder if some of you are wearing gloves.

IMHO, individually wrapped candy is not conducive to riding and eating. And waiting until you stop to hydrate is bad when you are long distance riding.

I use 1/2 cup Ziploc brand plastic containers. They have a tab on the lid that makes opening them with one hand easier. 2 of these will fit in the back of my tank bag, side by side. One has hard candy, the other cut up pieces of beef stick. Easy to find at gas stops, quick to cut up and dump into the container. Less of a flossing issue than jerky.

I never stop to eat during a rally. My preference is Arbys and roast beef Jr sandwiches. No sauce to make a mess, just beef & bin. 2nd choice is McDs and cheeseburgers. Both taste the same hours later. I usually get 5 early in a rally at a drive thru and that gets me thru the day. Not uncommon for me to eat the last one in a hotel room at the end of the day. (multi-day rallies.)

I carry a one gallon insulated jug for hydration. Its an old thermos brand version 13 that is short and squat instead of tall and narrow like most of the current offerings. Cost $5 on ebay and was like new. A 8" cake pan from Walmart, 7' of 1" webbing and a trip to the equine supply to visit the tack repair lady and I have a solid mount with quick release straps. This is mounted on the top of my flat bed fuel cell. I Dremel cut a couple of slots in the cake pan for the straps before going to the equine supply.

You need more water than a Camelbak system holds when covering ground in triple digit heat, especially in the west. Jugs are arguably quicker to fill, insulated and often cheaper too. With 11 gallons of fuel, the gallon of water lasts between fuel stops, usually.

Protection - I have not found the need for more than good situational awareness and a 3 D cell Maglight. It helps that I am 230lbs and a former Marine. The hassle of carrying a firearm on the road is not worth the security, for me.

Re: Canada Gun

My last crossing I was asked the usual questions including the weapons question. I wasn't carrying. Then the guard said, "Do you have a cancel carry permit?" I knew not to lie and said yes. Then he said, "I know how you Texans are about your guns, where are yours?" I replied the truth, "At home in Texas". He said, "Have a good day".

I am sure if I would have said I did not have cancel carry license it would have been search time.

ravenranger

22798 now 580
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This divided container and these little tubs (from the container store) work nicely for segregating food items in a tank bag but zip lock baggies work pretty well, too.

My go-to travel foods are sunflower seeds (in the hull - love them), soft jerky, string cheese, mixed nuts, raisins (or sometimes craisins), cherry tomatoes, and fresh spinach. I'll also throw in a couple of protein bars for good measure.

I also use a 3 liter hydration bag in my tank bag that I fill with 1/2 water / 1/2 gatoraid (or some type of electrolyte drink) and (in the summer) a second 3 liter hydration bag in the back of my jacket filled with ice that I swap out once it melts (saved me in Oklahoma during BL7). Being from Arizona, I often have another gallon stash of water in either my top box or pannier that's useful for emergencies or re-hydrating an evaporative vest.

nlefcourt

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For snacks I have a small size container food velcroed to the front of my tank (behind the fairing). It's protected from the wind so things don't fly away, easy to reach. It can easily go in the tank bag if need be but usually it's out. I don't bother with the container cover much.