First ss1000

I'm planning on doing my first ss1000 this month. I plan to ride 510 miles one way and ride back. Take a 15 mins break every 120 miles or so. 30 mins break at turn around point and repeat.

What I gather is it's imp to collect gas receipt at start, turn around and end. I'll make sure I get receipts at each stop too and take a pic alongside odometer. Will not eat a heavy meal, but plan to snack on protein bars and lots of water mixed with Pedialyte. Salad at turn around point.

I'm hoping to finish the run in 18 to 20 Hrs. Leave at 5 AM, this way I have no more than 2 to 3 hrs riding in the dark.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@ironman - It sounds like you are planning to use the digital method with photos of your receipts. That's great!

SS1000 submission methods

If you haven't already, practice taking some photos of your receipt and odo in different light conditions before you do the ride. Some odometers are easier or harder to get good photos of. And double check your start location for a good receipt and the hours they are open before the day of the ride. I like 24 Hr stations just in case the printer is out of paper and I have to go inside for a receipt. Avoids throwing you off your game with the first receipt and having to find an alternate receipt.

If you normally enjoy protein bars, go with that. If it's not your normal go to, consider other things that you do normally enjoy. Jerky, beef sticks, something salty and/or sweet for during the ride munchies. Something tart or spicy, (lemon heads, Red Hots, etc), for when you need a little pick me up. These should be available while riding w/o a struggle.

I'm with Kerri on the numbering of receipts with the odo on them. It's just that much easier for the verification teams and gives you a back up odo if the pic is a little fuzzy.

I hope you have a great ride and enjoy it. But remember, if it's not going well, you can always do it another day. Listen to your body and call it if you need to.

Lastly, remember that you have 24 hours. No extra points for doing it in less time. You've got plenty of time, enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I usually get 240 miles per tank. But I thought it would be good idea to get off the bike every 120 miles to stretch.
Seems like a lot of stops to me but You should do what you need to do and you certainly know yourself better than I know you.

I stop for fuel and do what ever I need to at those stops. Just remember stopped time is time you can't get back. That said there is plenty of time to complete as SS1000 but every minute stopped adds on the finish time.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I usually get 240 miles per tank. But I thought it would be good idea to get off the bike every 120 miles to stretch.
Seems like a lot of stops to me but You should do what you need to do and you certainly know yourself better than I know you.
I agree with Russ ... but if that allows you enough time off to be 100% while on then go for it. I try to push stops farther apart in the beginning, as once you get more than halfway you may find you need more frequent and possibly longer stops.

Also - in regard to frequent stops - many here will agree, if there is anything that is causing discomfort or needs to be addressed, then stop and address it once noticed. Like sunglasses adjusted, or ear plugs slipped, or a bug went up your nose. Don't push on to the next gas. Little annoyances can really become energy sucks.

Good luck on your ride - sounds like you have a good plan!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Consider why that is, and are there things you can do to not need to get off the bike and stretch. Most LD riders go thru a process, slowly eliminating the things that cause discomfort or irritation until the bike is the most comfortable spot to be. Some of this is ergonomic changes to the bike, other is changes to the body process and what we do while riding.

It's not really "sit there and twist that". It's a dance of movement, a leg out on the highway peg, or back in, and arm and shoulder rotated and shaken out, a short lift of the butt or standing, repeating with the other limbs so that no part of your body is just sitting there pooling blood and getting stiff. Keeping your circulation going in your extremities goes a long way toward avoiding getting stiff and prolongs your overall comfort, minimizes fatigue and helps keep you alert.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Also - in regard to frequent stops - many here will agree, if there is anything that is causing discomfort or needs to be addressed, then stop and address it once noticed. Like sunglasses adjusted, or ear plugs slipped, or a bug went up your nose. Don't push on to the next gas. Little annoyances can really become energy sucks.
It's like you're talking about _me_... I'm super stubborn and will put off stops until the annoyance has driven me absolutely bonkers. It's not a good choice on my part. Be better than me, @ironman

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Consider why that is, and are there things you can do to not need to get off the bike and stretch. Most LD riders go thru a process, slowly eliminating the things that cause discomfort or irritation until the bike is the most comfortable spot to be. Some of this is ergonomic changes to the bike, other is changes to the body process and what we do while riding.
I was at my local BMW dealer, waiting on a part to be found in the back room, when a customer said to me "Is that your GSA out there? It looks like you've got that ALL set up!" and I managed to just smile and say "you bet!" and not tell him the half-dozen little tweaks and annoyances I'm still ironing :)

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's like you're talking about _me_... I'm super stubborn and will put off stops until the annoyance has driven me absolutely bonkers. It's not a good choice on my part. Be better than me, @ironman
I so used to be that guy too. Wouldn't stop for anything unless I had to. It got worse when I got transitions lenses and aux fuel.

But I learned over time how little stressors really take away from our focus and if I just stopped when I noticed the issue, it was 5 minutes to deal with it, then I could return to zen mode and not constantly be annoyed by [insert flapping collar, closed or open vent, being cold because I didn't put the heated gear on, being thirsty because I forgot to fill the hydration jug when I got gas, being hot because I'm still wearing a layer I don't need or have my vents closed and the moment I came down off that mountain, it warmed *right* up, etc].

Never you mind that bonus I rode right past because I was thinking about getting to the next gas stop to change into my heated gear... Aww Sh**, no getting those points back by the time I stopped for gas.

Dave28117

Premier Member
FWIW, this being your first, you're probably over thinking it. That's ok. we've all been there. I suspect at the end you'll wonder why you worried about it so much. :)

in my case, I found that 200 mile was a good seat/bladder stopping routine for me. I also found that leaving later in the morning was better for me by the end of the ride. I like my sleep. :)

I also like the idea of going a bit longer early on and then reducing distance between stops. you might consider that, but again, don't over think it.

Please let us know you you do on your ride. I'm curious to hear how it went for you. Others DO learn from what's posted here.

good luck!!!

Ed.

Premier Member
I think the short(ish) answer is - as has been covered before - we all do what works best for us. I know that what works best for me has changed over the years with bike, experience, fuel range, gear, riding locations etc etc etc. I've certainly read and discussed lots and lots of ideas from other more experienced people over the years and tried as many as I could - some worked for me, some didn't. That's one of the great things about forums like this and about getting to places where we can meet and talk with other riders! Like anything to do with any kind of motorcycling; ride more and never stop trying to be a better rider!

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
FWIW, this being your first, you're probably over thinking it. That's ok. we've all been there. I suspect at the end you'll wonder why you worried about it so much. :)
Big time! Back in March I did a 50CC, and despite having nearly Gold status from my rides, got _very_ into my own head about it.. at the end, I couldn't understand what on earth I was so worried about :D