Future for IBAUK

wully

Brit Butt Tour Admin. Retired.
Over the last weekend we had our cherry on the cake event the Brit Butt Rally.

Following a discussion with EL President Phil, he asked me how we can go forward and build on successes like the RBLR, Ride to Eats and alike to build numbers of those who enter our rallies and tour events also increase the numbers who do certified rides and attend Ride To Eats.

I am going to speak with some contacts in the motorcycle industry and attempt to get some ideas, but what I am asking YOU is for your input and ideas.

When I first entered the BBR over 40 competed, now that is less then 30, it doses go up and down for many reasons costs, holidays and time. I myself could not participate this time due to not getting the time off from work.

I do not want complaint's about scoring or the rules, every sport needs rules otherwise chaos would rule.

what i want is ideas to increase our profile not just with motorcyclists but main stream motoring publications.
If you are fiends with a motoring journalist or a personality who rides a motorcycle encourage them to enter one our events or rides.

Remember at the start of '000 motorcycling was in a sick state, then 2 actors decided to travel around the world and look what they've done for all off us, the GS riders amongst us will understand.

We as individuals need to think how we explain to none IBA members what we do, most associate Rallies with consuming large volume of alcohol.

So lets be positive and and build a future.

One last thing, if you want your suggestions private email me [email protected]

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Some of the more popular Endurance Rallies in the US followed a simple format. 24 hour, (sometimes with a 12 Hour version as well), time length with a 'basic route' that would guarantee a rider with a SS1K cert if followed, then additional optional, more challenging routes or bonuses to mix things up. Many newer riders that wanted to try an endurance rally saw this appealing, knowing that if they followed the main or basic route, then they would have covered the distance to qualify for a IBA entry certificate, but also, if they were feeling good, they could choose to add more difficulty and score better overall. Cost was generally $100-200 USD and that got you some swag and a banquet dinner. There would be a event hotel, but there was no requirement to stay there, often with lower cost options close by for those with tighter budgets.

This format was appealing because you could ride to the start location on Friday, do the rally on Saturday, then ride home on Sunday, (or Monday). Some would take a 1/2 day off on Friday to get there and/or some time on Monday to get home, but it was easier for riders with regular jobs to attend and didn't break the budget.

Typically the 12 Hr and 24 Hr riders started at the same time, letting the rally staff score the 12 Hr riders and have plenty of time before the 24 Hr riders arrived. All were welcome at the same banquet Sunday evening, giving riders time to socialize and share stories from their rides.

Riders would be required to do an Odometer check ride as part of their check in process. This was a ~20 mile route pre-mapped and measured by GPS to give the Rally Master a known distance. Riders would give their start and finish odo, verified by a staff member, and this gave the rally staff a known correction factor for that bike. When riders departed at the start, their odo was verified by staff and recorded on their individual score sheet. Upon return, again the odo was verified and recorded on the score sheet. This allowed the RM to calculate the actual miles the rider traveled, both aiding in spotting a fibber, but also allowing them to confirm the rider had covered over 1000 miles and was eligible for a IBA SS1K ride. This meant that if the rider wanted an IBA certificate for the ride, all they had to do was turn it in and note that they had done this ride during the XXXXXX Rally. The IBA only had to easily verify with the RM that it was so, and would issue the certificate.

With the space in the US, it was common for these rallies to give the rider an "In State" SS1K or BBG certificate opportunity. This helped the rally draw riders in some cases as a rider could do different events and collect multiple In State certs while having fun doing the rally.

Also, for those riders that found cranking out the miles for a cert boring or more challenging, the focus of the bonus hunting often made the miles go easier as they were always focused on getting to the next bonus, not just the finish. Plus the route was easy to follow and while riders had many choices and additional bonuses to choose from, the main or basic route could just be followed and give them the necessary miles w/o additional planning if they chose.

edit; While the 12 hour rally didn't offer an IBA certificate, it was an excellent stepping stone or gateway drug to allow riders to see if the endurance rally format was something they enjoyed. A lot of fun w/o the stress of night riding. It commonly drew vets as well as new riders. The experience, as well as the stories from seasoned riders/rally vets created an excellent camaraderie and often lasting friendships.

Last edited:

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Around May I post details and links for the RBLR 1000 on some motorcycle forums (London Bikers, CBF1000, Africa Twin) during the past three years this has attracted 6 entrants to the RBLR 1000 (4 new IBA members, 2 DNF's). As far as I know none of them have taken to RTE's, BB Rallys, BB Tours or a second RBLR 1000, I don't know why that is but it needs to be given some thought.

Better advertising to better explain what the IBA UK and it's events are about, making the IBA UK more appealing and dispelling the myth that everything IBA UK is an endurance exercise which many potential entrants will see as unpleasant.

A good point that Wully makes

... most associate Rallies with consuming large volume of alcohol.
So why not change the names? No need to reinvent the wheel just tell it how it is, I'll chip in with...

'IBA UK Navigational Scatter Rally'

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Better advertising to better explain what the IBA UK and it's events are about, making the IBA UK more appealing and dispelling the myth that everything IBA UK is an endurance exercise which many potential entrants will see as unpleasant.
I find this comment interesting. The IBA is about long distance endurance riding. Does the IBA UK wish to be about something else?

So why not change the names? No need to reinvent the wheel just tell it how it is, I'll chip in with...

'IBA UK Navigational Scatter Rally'
JohnR may be on to something. I might offer to even cut the "rally" off as well, since "rally" is what many associate with the rabble rousing, drinking events. Destigmatize the event by moving away from the "rally" nomenclature. It's not a rally, it's not a race, it's an event/scatter/nav challenge/or??

Following JohnR's thought further, what about labeling the non endurance, (i.e. social), events in some distinguishable way or honestly, STOP labeling them as IBA UK events? In the US there are many RTE events. Not one is an IBA event. Some are put on and presented by endurance riding groups, but the IBA is not in the business of hosting RTEs.

Even events like the Texas event coming up offers and promotes endurance riding. And the IBA only has two large events which are more or less annual events within the community.

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That's not all it's about. It's also about planning, preparation, understanding your own body, how to dress and a bunch of other things. The endurance part is and should be trivial. When I ride, I don't "endure" it, I enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, you're doing it wrong.
You missed the point. Endurance, contrary to Merriam-Webster isn't just about overcoming hardship and adversity. I agree with your statements, but this is about getting new riders interested in the sport of endurance rally riding. What that means in this context is learning about the things you mention, but unless the IBA UK plans on opening a school for the instruction of this knowledge and offering courses, etc, then you need to focus on what it is you actually are going to do.

If the IBA UK has no interest in endurance riding, that's all well and good. State your focus and good fortune to you.

On the other hand, if indeed the IBA UK is focused on continuing the legacy of the IBA in safe long distance riding and promoting this sport in the UK/EU, (and beyond), a large part of that is about our specific type of rally. Hunting down bonus locations, route planning, reading comprehension, developing the skills and knowledge to do so effectively and safely during extended periods of riding a motorcycle.

RTEs don't fit that category. They are a social endeavor where riders quite literally Ride To Eat, socialize, partake of some food and beverages, then ride away. They may or may not be like minded individuals, in terms of long distance riding, but long distance riding is not the focus of a RTE and it has no real business being an IBA UK sponsored event, imho. You're not getting new riders interested in Long Distance Rallies at a RTE. It's like offering free pizza and handing your guests a paint brush when they arrive, then asking them to pick a seat for the sermon.

The gateway drug for Long Distance rallies is 8-12 hour events that don't really fit the definition of Long Distance events, but do allow riders to experience the platform and format of a scavenger hunt style motorcycle rally. It's non-threatening and allows riders to get a taste and see if they enjoy it. Then, the hope is, they might be interested in 24 Hr or longer versions once they have discovered they enjoy the format.

If you are putting on a 24+ Hr rally, you have already done the work. Adding a shorter version within the longer rally is easy. Everything is done the same, just the scores are lower and there is no penalty for riding less miles/kms.

You advertise these events just like you would any other. Physical flyers with a basic outline and web URL for more info or a contact email, online posts and threads in various forums, and any other places where riders go. That may be as basic as a favored cafe on a twisty road or as simple as this very forum, bike specific forums, etc.

wully

Brit Butt Tour Admin. Retired.
Firstly those of you who replied thank you.
The the point of this exercise is not to change IBAUk, but to encourage it's growth.
We need more people to to do rides, participate in rallies, ride to eats and get involved.
When I wrote this thread, I knew it would ruffle feathers, I do not want in change the basis of IBAUK I want it to grow and flourish.

EddyC

IBA Member
I am not in a position to "tell you what to do", and that is certainly not my intention,
but as a member of IBA (BeNeLux) I would like to offer my thoughts about the matter.

In the back of my mind I have always wanted to ride a long distance run.
Stumbling over the fact that there existed an organisation like the IBA, I finally saw the light and started to devour information.
As far as I was concerned, the decision was made and I reached the point of no return!

My ride took preparation, planning, performance and organisation and I finally got the certificate.
I did it. I did it alone. It is *my* personal archievement and I'm proud of it.
I felt my bike and I were perfectly balanced whilst riding and that experience transcended the hardship and endurance I had to undergo.
I 'll do it again!

Trying to convince the fellow members of my touring motorcycle club to join those experiences,
they declared me insane : "whats the point" they asked?
Well, as the saying goes: "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand."

I guess LD riders need some sort of motivation. An RTE or a rally might help, so might a noble cause.
For me, I didn't need a motivation. I am not interested in an RTE or a multiple day rally.
That is not why I "joined" the IBA.
Riding is expensive. Maybe that is what is holding some riders back too.

I 'd start by looking for ways to get the organisation known by the general biking community.
That way one might find a similar insane mind to join without great effort or cost.
Convincing people to do something what they didn't want to do in the first place, is imho not always a good idea.

I do not speak for the IBA, nor IBA BeNeLux. These are my reflections and mine alone.
Hope I have not offended anyone but just in case I did: I apologize.

Welcome to insanity!
Ed.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
I'm not suggesting we change what the IBA UK is about or what the IBA Uk does. I believe the way forward in attracting new members is to promote the more relaxing things we do before leading into the more endurance oriented things we do. I’m suggesting a progression of:

RTE’s promoted as an opportunity to sit down and talk about all things IBA in a relaxed atmosphere;
Brit Butt Tour promoted as a leisurely introduction to IBA Navigational Scatter Rallys;
RBLR 1000 promoted as the pre-verified just add go go juice SS1000;
SROTY promoted as more leisurely than an SS1000 and good practice for riding in wintry conditions.

The rides and events need to be re-named to better reflect just what they are. For example:

RBLR 1000 – IBA Summer Solstice 1000 mile Ride (incorporating the RBLR 1000 in support of the Poppy Appeal).;
Brit Butt Tour - IBA January to October Navigational Scatter Rally;
SROTY – Winter Soltice Sunrise to Sunset Ride.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@EddyC - Well stated.

I always rode long distances, nearly always alone, long before I encountered the IBA. Pre-internet, I didn't buy a bike to hang out at shops, I bought it to enjoy riding. Mostly alone. My first invitation to an 'event' was to ride to a RTE. It went something like this:

A fellow I had recently met on a local online rider listserv that also met semi regularly for lunch or dinner and conversation, (which had multiple IBR finishers at the time along with very casual riders too), called or emailed me and asked "do you want to go get a hot dog?" I said "sure, where?"

He said "LA". My only response was when do you want to leave. We met a bit after midnight on a dark January night just off I-5, just south of Salem, OR. (I lived in Oregon City, OR at the time.) We rode South over the mountains, in winter, encountering snow before dropping down into CA and meeting another rider that was waiting for us on the side of the Interstate. We didn't stop, he just picked up and dropped in behind us as pre-arranged around Truckee, CA. After a tad over 1000 miles we arrived in North Hollywood, CA in the late evening and found a cheap motel room, showered and got some sleep for a few hours before riding to the RTE that kicked off around 11pm. A famous hot dog stand called Pinks. We spent a few hours there, had some food, talked to a lot of LD riders, most already IBA members and quite a few rally riders and IBR finishers.

I meet new people, put faces to names I had interacted with online or just heard about, and got more interested in the endurance rally events, as many interesting stories were told from these events.

After the RTE we rode back to the same hotel room, it was maybe 3 am. Got a few more hours of sleep and rode home. No receipts were saved, no paperwork was filled out, just a couple of guys going for a ride. Had we bothered to do the paperwork, it would have been an SS2K ride. I ended up riding several rallies, single and multi-day, with that rider that asked if I wanted to go for a hot dog.

I didn't bother to actually submit my paperwork for an IBA number until I did my first 5 day rally a couple years later. Mostly because some woman named Lisa gave me a hard time about not having an IBA number. At the completion of the 5 day rally I printed out the paperwork at the hotel business PC for a SS1K and a SS5K and got the RM and one of the staff, a very well known rider, to sign off on my paperwork.

Long Distance riding has been a part of my life and impacted it in many unforeseen ways. Great friendships aplenty. Odd sites seen, roads traveled to strange and beautiful places. I met my wife to be in Alaska at a RTE of sorts, Hyder-Seek, sponsored by Ron Ayres. A couple of years later I was married at an IBA International Meet in Denver, CO, on stage in a surprise wedding with 300+ people all interested and engaged in Long Distance riding.

While I have several IBA Certs, the endurance rallies were always my focus as I found that format more engaging and it also provided some social activity with like minded riders. We shared the rally experience, all offered the same bonuses, putting our route together and seeing if we could plan the route and ride the plan... and deal with the problems that occurred, from flat tires to delays and re-planning. There are rally riders and there are cert riders. There is overlap, but the two groups have different mindsets.

Long distance riding can be very empowering. It expands one's view of what's possible. It alters the concept of distance and riding all over changes your perspective. My wife was riding solo across the US on her way to a friend's wedding. We lived in Utah at the time. (I had to work, so flew to the wedding and back) At a gas stop she met a couple of women that chatted her up. She was in Grand Junction,CO at the time. The ladies were excited to see a woman on a large bike, riding solo. They asked her where she was heading and upon hearing Columbia, South Carolina, commented that that was such a long way away! Her response was "I'll be there in two days, I'm just taking it easy." You do the math. Perspective is a funny thing.

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@EddyC - Well stated.

I always rode long distances, nearly always alone, long before I encountered the IBA. Pre-internet, I didn't buy a bike to hang out at shops, I bought it to enjoy riding. Mostly alone. My first invitation to an 'event' was to ride to a RTE. It went something like this:

A fellow I had recently met on a local online rider listserv that also met semi regularly for lunch or dinner and conversation, (which had multiple IBR finishers at the time along with very casual riders too), called or emailed me and asked "do you want to go get a hot dog?" I said "sure, where?"

He said "LA". My only response was when do you want to leave. We met a bit after midnight on a dark January night just off I-5, just south of Salem, OR. (I lived in Oregon City, OR at the time.) We rode South over the mountains, in winter, encountering snow before dropping down into CA and meeting another rider that was waiting for us on the side of the Interstate. We didn't stop, he just picked up and dropped in behind us as pre-arranged around Truckee, CA. After a tad over 1000 miles we arrived in North Hollywood, CA in the late evening and found a cheap motel room, showered and got some sleep for a few hours before riding to the RTE that kicked off around 11pm. A famous hot dog stand called Pinks. We spent a few hours there, had some food, talked to a lot of LD riders, most already IBA members and quite a few rally riders and IBR finishers.

I meet new people, put faces to names I had interacted with online or just heard about, and got more interested in the endurance rally events, as many interesting stories were told from these events.

After the RTE we rode back to the same hotel room, it was maybe 3 am. Got a few more hours of sleep and rode home. No receipts were saved, no paperwork was filled out, just a couple of guys going for a ride. Had we bothered to do the paperwork, it would have been an SS2K ride. I ended up riding several rallies, single and multi-day, with that rider that asked if I wanted to go for a hot dog.

I didn't bother to actually submit my paperwork for an IBA number until I did my first 5 day rally a couple years later. Mostly because some woman named Lisa gave me a hard time about not having an IBA number. At the completion of the 5 day rally I printed out the paperwork at the hotel business PC for a SS1K and a SS5K and got the RM and one of the staff, a very well known rider, to sign off on my paperwork.

Long Distance riding has been a part of my life and impacted it in many unforeseen ways. Great friendships aplenty. Odd sites seen, roads traveled to strange and beautiful places. I met my wife to be in Alaska at a RTE of sorts, Hyder-Seek, sponsored by Ron Ayres. A couple of years later I was married at an IBA International Meet in Denver, CO, on stage in a surprise wedding with 300+ people all interested and engaged in Long Distance riding.

While I have several IBA Certs, the endurance rallies were always my focus as I found that format more engaging and it also provided some social activity with like minded riders. We shared the rally experience, all offered the same bonuses, putting our route together and seeing if we could plan the route and ride the plan... and deal with the problems that occurred, from flat tires to delays and re-planning. There are rally riders and there are cert riders. There is overlap, but the two groups have different mindsets.

Long distance riding can be very empowering. It expands one's view of what's possible. It alters the concept of distance and riding all over changes your perspective. My wife was riding solo across the US on her way to a friend's wedding. We lived in Utah at the time. (I had to work, so flew to the wedding and back) At a gas stop she met a couple of women that chatted her up. She was in Grand Junction,CO at the time. The ladies were excited to see a woman on a large bike, riding solo. They asked her where she was heading and upon hearing Columbia, South Carolina, commented that that was such a long way away! Her response was "I'll be there in two days, I'm just taking it easy." You do the math. Perspective is a funny thing.

Well said Eric Eddie

Some people buy bikes to ride them others buy bikes to be seen riding them.

We are definitely in the 1st category.

Capt Sisko

Lots of well said sensible comments made for many experienced riders, well here’s a couple from a relative newbie that could be used attract other newbies.

First off, 1,000mile in under 24hrs whilst we all know if perfectly doable, it sounds like a mega challenge to the average Joe. When I told people what I was doing, and most I had to explain what an SS1000 was, they thought I was mad. Okay, we joke, welcome to madness, but for most 1,000miles as a starter is just too far. I did the RBLR 500 for my first run and have since come back to do the 1,000 (twice now).

So, food for thought. How about a couple of 500s or a Metric K early on in the year as ‘tasters’ to draw in newbies? The rides don’t need to be organised from a central location, indeed having several region starting points would be advantageous and encouraging newbies to work together can foster camaraderie to settle the ‘gosh, isn’t that a long way’ concerns. The usual rule of proof of receipts etc would all still apply and the 500 could have a 12hour limit so it’s still something that is a challenge. People who complete these could be called Apprentice or Associate Members. The point is you’ve already got them on the hook.

RTE. I rather like these, a good opportunity to meet like minded folk. In a perfect world, one a month, on the 1st Saturday of the month (i.e. just after we’ve been paid) and some form of north, south, east, west rota would be ideal, but that will need some serious support from the members. To the organiser, maybe organise three RTE in a calendar year and here’s free entry into next years RBLR ride. To the participants, do all twelve in a calendar year and it’s member ship of a new category in the Roll of Honour section?

Last edited:

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
I have to agree with Capt Sisko about 500 milers and the metric K looks interesting 1000 K= 621.37119 miles round it up to 621.4 miles,
the first reaction i get to 1000 miles in 24 hours is 'sod that for a lark' i admit it was my first reaction, the trick is explaining that it's not as difficult as you think.
We have the 500 mile option in RBLR 1000 ride which IMO we do not promote enough to attract first time riders who are put off by the 1000 mile option which does not have to be done in 24 hours that also should be emphasized, when we go to an RTE you only have to look at the demographic to see we need to attract younger riders.

Ian M

I am not sure there is a lot more we can be doing to attract members.
We appear to have a good relationship with Bauer Media who are the main producers of motorcycle-based publications.
Several members and their bikes have featured in various publications.
A number of their staff have undertaken IBA challenges with what appear to be positive write ups.

It’s all advertising/exposure.

We have had exposure by motorcycle “influencers”.

We do appear to get more exposure for a niche club than other vaguely similar events such as NNR, WNRR and SNRR.

It appears to me that it is just one of those activities that certain people want to do and others do not.

Unfortunately, those that do not are more vocal in their reasons as to why which always centre around health and safety issues and “danger”.
We need to keep gently plugging away, foster our relationships with the media and other outlets and politely see off the detractors.

“Kill them with kindness” as a I keep being reminded when I have to deal with lower ranking civil servants.

We need to be seen and out there through facebook, twitter, blogs and podcasts as well as more typical media outlets.

SNNR last weekend with 132 entrants. There are many Facebook posts about the miles people covered. A ready supply of members?

The Facebook page is open – I cannot even find ours.

Capt Sisko

On a more basic level, what flyers or liturature do we have that members could either have for leaving a biker cafes or even maybe print out at home and give out to people we meet?