Future for IBAUK

bmbob

IBA Member
Well this thread has turned out very interesting, lots of different thoughts around the main point of attracting new members.
Lets see if we can think of any more ideas tomorrow at Johns RTE.
Ride safe
Regards Bob

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
A couple more ideas:

IT is mostly a mystery to me but it seems more and more advertisers are pointing their QR codes at us for us to scan. What about an IBA UK sticker for our top boxes/panniers promoting 'safe long distance riding' with a QR code.
Also similar to an IBA UK sticker an A6 pocket flash card for interested folk we meet on our travels to scan.

When I did my first RBLR 1000 there were 2 certification options:
1000 miles in 24 hours for IBA Certification;
1000 miles in 36 hours for British Legion Certification.
May be an idea for the British Legion to re-instate their 36 hour Certification

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Interesting thread.

Most people I talk to in the biking community think we are mad. Ride 1,000 miles for a badge and certificate. The cost would be about £200.00 the offer appears daft, as said if you have to explain you would not understand.

I spent a big part of my life in advertising and educating people to the benefits of what we offer, which would be expensive with very little return.

The best advocates to get new members are us. We need to engage with bikers when we can and show our bikes and what we do to them. The most powerful marketing tool is third-party referrals.

So when you do a ride crow about it to anyone who will listen. Get yourself in magazines. Write on Social Media. Send out positive waves.

I'm also an advocate of RoadPeace which again is a tough sell. Nowadays people want instant gratification. What's in it for me? is the question.

My focus on riding now is "Bang for my Buck" so doing a certified ride alone does not offer me value for money but I do like riding so big miles are still for me but I need more than just one outcome.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Dogpoope

Premier Member
This was definitely an interesting topic to follow. Not near any of you lads on here with just a few rides under my belt but we have a bit of the same problem where I live. Two years ago me and a friend tried to change that by doing a group ride and attempt an SS1600K. Not the best way to do it, not the worst. Of that first group we have two MEA Silver and one MEA today. Rest of them is looking at their rides in the garage I guess. No, that was hard but still some truth in it so won't take it back entirely.

On the other hand there were more trouble than gains and I admit freely that I rather do a BBG1500 with a passenger than doing such group ride again. Regarding getting more people in... SS1000 isn't for everyone. Longer rides for even less. A Gold or even Insanity is something that really demands everything saphena said when it comes to planning, knowing yourself and so on. For us doing these long distance it's not crazy to hop on with some preparation and ride a known or at least planned route but when "Regular Joe" who usually rides like 300 miles per season hears about 1000 in less than 24h... that IS crazy then. Talked to a group about my first rides and I spent more time trying to explain the word safe instead of talking about the actual ride. There is a reason you are MEA already after two rides because so many does one and no more.

RTE can be a solution, but I still think we have to admit that it takes a certain mentality, a certain mindset to do a 1000 and then do it again and again and then even longer rides.