Gas Receipts

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks cb650f, I keep my I phone7s plugged into a USB port but still I am having problems. I just bought new cords and new charger. My 2nd phone is I phone 6. It is turned off and left on a external battery to charge. I switch phones during the last of the ride. The last ride I was tracked the entire ride.
The phone issue has been since using SWconnect. My concern is when I go outside the 24 hour window for example a SS2K. I may add my wife’s phone next!
I will use the new spotwalla on the next ride. TY. G.

CB650F

Premier Member
It's plugged in, charging, and still going dead? You might not have enough amperage available from your USB outlet. I know nothing about your setup, so is it a factory installed option on your bike, or an aftermarket one like mine? The one I have is a 5 amp charger, so its got more than enough power to keep everything charged. I've done rides with both an iPhone 6 and iPhone 8. No problems keeping either charged. Try upgrading the USB ports.

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
2017, 2019 fjr 1300 es’s factory outlet. I am changing the charger before the next ride. If that doesn’t work I will hard wire a 5 amp usb outlet. It has happened on both bikes. G.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
2017, 2019 fjr 1300 es’s factory outlet. I am changing the charger before the next ride. If that doesn’t work I will hard wire a 5 amp usb outlet. It has happened on both bikes. G.
I suspect this is a large part of your problem. Most factory cig style outlets suck at retaining a charging device. Vibration over time backs the charger out just enough to lose connection and your phone isn't being charged. Either hard wire a USB charger, or use a charger that you can retain with zip ties to stay secure, and more importantly, one with an indicator light so you know you have a good connection and can easily verify that you still have a good connection at any point during your ride with a quick glance.

You said:
All rides are documented by find me spot to sw connect to spotwalla.
Why are you doing this three way dance? If you're not using a Spot device, you have no reason to use find me spot. You can use SWConnect direct with Spotwalla.

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
I think you are right. I will hard wire a USB port with an indication light for connectivity. Do you have a suggestion about who makes the USB port?
I started with cell phone based with service and Sw connect. I added find me spot and use that device for the tracking. Do you just use find me spot alone?
Thank you so much. Although I have done a lot of IBA rides, I am really a neophyte learning all the time and I haven’t had the opportunity to meet others,
G.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I think you are right. I will hard wire a USB port with an indication light for connectivity. Do you have a suggestion about who makes the USB port?
I'm sure there is a device that will mechanically fit where you want it to and be adequate to keep a cell phone charged (not familiar with the FJR's port orientation)

On my Goldwing, I procured thru eBay a small +12V to +5V USB port converter that provides up to 3A of 5V at a USB port. My charging cable is then attached to the USB port, and tucked away in the bowels of the faring. The cable then reaches the handlebar phone holder without issue.

I've been very pleased with this setup.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I started with cell phone based with service and Sw connect. I added find me spot and use that device for the tracking. Do you just use find me spot alone?
Thank you so much. Although I have done a lot of IBA rides, I am really a neophyte learning all the time and I haven’t had the opportunity to meet others,
G.
There seems to be some confusion about terms. Find me Spot is https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/ This is a stand alone satellite tracking device. Commonly referred to as 'Spot', though they offer several different devices and service contracts, they are all 'Spot'.

Tracking on the findmespot web site does not stay around forever. Because of this, Spotwalla was created. Now a new version is out,
new.spotwalla.com that is a different web site with new functions that was created, is owned by and run by the same person.

Both new and old Spotwalla versions keep your tracks forever. This is very nice if you turned in a cert ride with track link from Spotwalla and it takes months to get your ride verified.

Unlike FindmeSpot, Spotwalla allows the use of several different platform devices. Spot, InReach, cellular varieties and likely more options as time goes on.

If you have a satellite tracking device, you should set up an account at new.spotwalla.com and link your Spot device there, create a trip and ignore FindmeSpot forever after for tracking. I have one 10 year trip and create specific other trips for events I want tracking for. The 10 year trip covers all my travel. The shorter trips can be made w/in that 10 year trip for things like rallies or a cert ride I want to have a link to send to someone and not give them my entire tracking history.

If you have a satellite tracking device, you do not need, nor should you really bother with, a cellular tracking set up, imho. You're just muddying the waters, so to speak. Cellular is not good for tracking, but it works most of the time.

Spot or InReach trump cellular every time. They have far fewer gaps and don't require cellular connectivity to function. I'm not saying toss your cell phone away, it's great for many other things. it's just redundant for tracking purposes. The satellite system is far superior and the only tracking set up you need. Linked with new.spotwalla.com it is an accepted form of supporting evidence for IBA rides. So it findmespot, but who knows how long your trip tracks will last there?

As far as a hardwired USB set up, that depends on your bike and what you are comfortable doing. The design shown by KWThom works fine. I generally go strait to the connector on my phone w/o anything between that and the bike, but don't use an iPhone. This might work, but I don't know if the iPhone can take 12v - LINK I prefer a panel mount design with a weather cap on some bikes. On others I like to run power into the tank bag and have the phone there to charge. Others prefer a battery pack and keeping the phone inside their jacket. You could just buy a USB adapter that has an indicator light you can easily see. A little careful zip tie or tape around the plug is sometimes all that is needed to keep the cig plug from working loose.

Another option is to swap the factory power port to either a dual USB one or a Powerlet design. The Powerlet design, also used by BMW and John Deere, is much more secure and retains the plug in the port securely. then you would just use a Powerlet to USB adapter to plug in your phone.

I don't feel the phone is a routing tool and don't place or receive phone calls while riding. I don't use music from my phone either. My needs are not the same as many others. When I need cellular tracking, the phone still stays in my jacket, tankbag or a storage cubby on the bike that has power if I need the phone charging.

ibafran

Its not an exact science. It took me some time to figure out how I was going to do things to optimize clarity and efficiency. Remember, the ride checkers are going to do everything possible to ascertain your ride because they want to be able to see you succeed. Your job is to lay out your submission to make it as easy as possible for them to see what you did.
fran

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I installed one of these on the K16GTL just to the right of the Nav opening seven years ago. Zero problems through all kinds of weather (snow, rain, heat, cold (16°F-115°F)) and roughly 85k miles. Originally installed to power my GoPro camera and Sena SM-10. Now it powers the SM-10 and a Galaxy Tab A.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0082CXEI8/