It's Time to Start Talking, Muster, Certifications.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
#21
You're both on the money. We do need to start talking, it's been too bloody quiet here. Musters and certifications are the 2 topics I proposed. There are topics as Bazz has listed.
 

Skidoo

Administrator
Premier Member
#22
Things are starting to settle down again, but for how long?

The real challenge is borders have been closing at relatively short notice and riders may have to quarantine when they get back home.

We have attempted to re-schedule the ‘Muster’ a few times unsuccessfully. Regrettably the only logical thing to do this year is cancel this Muster.

We feel the key at this stage is arrange localised, GTR meets relatively close to a couple of borders. This would enable a quick skip back to the home state if needed.

To start the ball rolling, I’m going to attempt a ‘Power to the People’ (PTTP) ride on the 06/02/2021 and will be staying at Adaminaby. A PTTP is not mandatory and the GTR is open to anyone wishing to ride, catch up for dinner, have a few drinks or have a good old yarn!

TJ is arranging a GTR at Stanthorpe on the Easter weekend on the 03/04/2021.
Keep an eye on the GTR sub forum for further details as we firm these up.

if other States have ideas, let’s work on those as well.

As far as local certification, still awaiting a reply from Mike.
 

ACTCapo

Well-Known Member
#23
Check the required roads for the PTTP ride have reopened. Link Rd, Tooma Rd, Elliot Way were closed last time I checked (post Xmas).

And you’ll need a permit to enter Vic I heard on the radio this morning.
 

Skidoo

Administrator
Premier Member
#26
Check the required roads for the PTTP ride have reopened. Link Rd, Tooma Rd, Elliot Way were closed last time I checked (post Xmas).

And you’ll need a permit to enter Vic I heard on the radio this morning.
It’s easy to stay within NSW to complete the PTTP ride.
Road to Cabramurra closed (fire damage and asbestus issues) earlier this week when I checked it out but open to Khancoban. T2 not accessible due to fire damage. Reasonable adjustments will be applied for and I’ll contact Howard next week regarding same as I feel it may be years until things get back to normal.
I’ll keep you updated.
 

Chris Wiltshire

Premier Member
IBA Member
#29
Hi everyone, I've seen various comments in this thread about NZ, and some assumptions about what we can do here for ourselves, some of these assumptions are not accurate.

So, to set the record straight about NZ...:
* There is no 'IBA NZ' - if there is, then it's a loose term which might refer (currently) to me, since I do a fair bit of work to help to coordinate things, applications, bulk submissions etc, but there is no formal NZ IBA.
* I / we do not independently verify our own rides. All of our ride verifications are done in conjunction with the IBA USA.
* I / we do not independently make our own certificates, these are all done in conjunction with the IBA USA.
* I / we do not hold any IP in any of the rides which you might have seen drafted, all of that is gifted, without reservation to the IBA USA.
* All of the funds for all NZ Rides go directly through to the main IBA USA paypal account. - Riders pay the IBA directly, as you all do.

What may have caused some confusion is that in preparation for some of the bulk-submission work which we had been planning to facilitate in October 2020, for our NZ Distance Riders, NI1600 ride (ask OX-34 about this, it's the simplest verification he has ever had - he said so); I had arranged for some certificate paper (and basic 1600K supplies) to be sent over, so that we could literally just print and post the certificates which were provided by the verification team to us by email, for our bulk event riders. This was to save them being caught up with the COVID-19 impacts on international postage, this was all arranged well in advance (~4 months). (Printing was done under strict quality control - I assure you, I even bought a new printer at my own expense for this in order for it to be good enough).

The natural up-shot of that was that we had paper locally here which meant that when COVID was impacting postal delivery to AUS, too, I had offered to Howard that, if it made sense, he could use me to print and post those outstanding certificates for you guys too. - He took me up on that offer and posted the other thread asking who was still waiting on certificates... I think there's been about 12 or so sets posted by me personally, out to you, to help to try to fill the gap which COVID had made worse.

Just a suggestion then: how about, rather than saying ' NZ can do it, so why can't we ?', why isn't the question: ' What can we collectively do to make the experience of 'our' members, who are riding, certifying and contributing, as good as it can possibly be? '.

Have that conversation with Mike and Howard and see if there's a middle ground, like 'we' in NZ have found. As a suggestion, perhaps you can actively channel verifications, pre-vet them, make sure they're clean and have everything in a verifiable state (work on creating missing GoogleMap links etc), then perhaps you can present your submissions, already cleaned up and part checked perhaps, via Howard (Premier). Perhaps at that point he'll return them back through you (once he's drafted and done his own internal checking with Mike), for you to print and post?

I'm running a simple 'at-cost' accounting sheet to get my IBA postage costs (for you guys and others) reimbursed... And I'm putting in a fair amount of (welcomed, and balanced) work in order to work in with their already existing processes, I'm trying as hard as I can not to create any extra work for them by doing this (apart from the recent 'Ride Development' overhead, which will come to a natural end now)...

Anyway, it's about approach, and trying to fit in, as part of the solution - that's how you'll make your best progress here. It's perhaps not about demanding independence. - These are my thoughts and my words, they're my opinions, I am not speaking for anyone else here...

All the best, and if you would like to keep up your NZ based printing and delivery service in the near future, before you achieve your own approach, then remember to be nice when you comment / reply to this. :) - Thanks.

Chris.
 
Last edited:

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
#30
Thanks for the Update Chris.

A link to the CURRENT Green border zones of Victoria. This may change if NSW lets the cat out of the bag again.
It seems we have no restrictions on any of the required destinations. Adaminaby looks good, from a Victorian point of view.

Skidoo, can you start a new thread please.
 

tj189

Administrator
#31
Thanks for the Update Chris.

A link to the CURRENT Green border zones of Victoria. This may change if NSW lets the cat out of the bag again.
It seems we have no restrictions on any of the required destinations. Adaminaby looks good, from a Victorian point of view.

Skidoo, can you start a new thread please.
G'day all,
Could we all please move all our comments regarding the upcoming GTR's to the GTR sub forum - thanks.

thanks for the suggestion Ron
 

Skidoo

Administrator
Premier Member
#32

Biggles

Premier Member
#33
I've thought for quite a while that it would be most expeditious if riders' certificates could be sent by IBA USA digitally to an Australian IBA official to print off on IBA-supplied quality watermarked paper. I'm sure someone would have access to, or own, a colour laser printer. Apart from a big time-saving, there may be a cost saving.
Regarding "proof-reading" submissions locally, that may be necessary and appropriate for those uncertain about the rules or protocols, and maybe the service could be available for anyone wanting it and mandatory for newbies. For those with a track record, a direct submission to IBA USA would seem reasonable.
 

Chris Wiltshire

Premier Member
IBA Member
#34
I've thought for quite a while that it would be most expeditious if riders' certificates could be sent by IBA USA digitally to an Australian IBA official to print off on IBA-supplied quality watermarked paper. I'm sure someone would have access to, or own, a colour laser printer. Apart from a big time-saving, there may be a cost saving.
Regarding "proof-reading" submissions locally, that may be necessary and appropriate for those uncertain about the rules or protocols, and maybe the service could be available for anyone wanting it and mandatory for newbies. For those with a track record, a direct submission to IBA USA would seem reasonable.
By 'pre-proofing' all which get submitted through IBA AUS, it may be more reasonable to then be able to access 'Premier' level checking and issuance on behalf of all of your members. --- But, bear in mind that other members DO pay for that degree of expedited service (Premier membership), so it could be questioned if that is indeed fair on those paying members...

If you don't proof them all before they get channeled, then it would be fairer on all other members if the certs simply get added into the general queues... - Which, as you can see from various sources, is still taking months.

I agree that (all and any) AUS certificates (however they are queued and issued) being printed (more) locally saves both time and money, which is why I had offered the NZ->AUS postings given the opportunity. - It does make sense to me for someone there to attempt to pick this up and replace my role in this. - I'd certainly welcome it when the time is right - I don't mind doing it in the interim... :)

I'm going to drop off this thread now. Feel free to call me back into it, if I can offer any specific help.

Cheers, all the best.
 

tj189

Administrator
#35
By 'pre-proofing' all which get submitted through IBA AUS, it may be more reasonable to then be able to access 'Premier' level checking and issuance on behalf of all of your members. --- But, bear in mind that other members DO pay for that degree of expedited service (Premier membership), so it could be questioned if that is indeed fair on those paying members...

If you don't proof them all before they get channeled, then it would be fairer on all other members if the certs simply get added into the general queues... - Which, as you can see from various sources, is still taking months.

I agree that (all and any) AUS certificates (however they are queued and issued) being printed (more) locally saves both time and money, which is why I had offered the NZ->AUS postings given the opportunity. - It does make sense to me for someone there to attempt to pick this up and replace my role in this. - I'd certainly welcome it when the time is right - I don't mind doing it in the interim... :)

I'm going to drop off this thread now. Feel free to call me back into it, if I can offer any specific help.

Cheers, all the best.
Thank you for your comments Chris.
Please be aware that we have not been idle here in Australia and in essence we have been, for specific IBA ride ins, over a number of year now, been functioning in the manner that you have just started in NZ. We continue to work with Mike and Howard in our journey to assisting in the verification process and as you have alluded to in your last couple of posts, there are very specific requirements and guidelines that are mandatory in the verification of rides.
Best wishes for your endeavours in NZ.
 

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
#38
Hi all

Unfortunately we have once again had to cancel this year's MUSTER :(
However in saying that if you want to get on ya bike and have a ride and catch up check out this link.

https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/gtr-cooma-06-02-2021.4412/

It's a start for everyone to get out there and blow off some cobwebs and catch up
What are the Muster problems that cannot be overcome?
I feel having possible border closures is just a something we accept and plan around, if we need to.