List of 2017 riders?

hsd10

Premier Member
Ira
I know the start and end dates. I wondering if and when the location of the start will be given out. I'm planning on being in Minneapolis for the start. I'm wondering if the whole hotel gets taken over or if there will be a room I can book their, or know where to look for a close by hotel.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Ira
I know the start and end dates. I wondering if and when the location of the start will be given out. I'm planning on being in Minneapolis for the start. I'm wondering if the whole hotel gets taken over or if there will be a room I can book their, or know where to look for a close by hotel.
At the moment, the riders have not yet been given the hotel information. They will get it and at some point after the riders have had a chance to book their rooms, the location will be publicly released. How many rooms will remain at that point is a function of the hotel size.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

hsd10

Premier Member
Just as I figured it would be handled, and as it should be. I'll just keep my eyes and ears open. I've booked my vacation time with work. Im also looking forward to a return to Aerostich and a visit up to Thunder Bay.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I understand not publishing the rider list prior to the Rally; but it would be nice if the IBA provided an introduction/biography and photo of each rider so fans could better identify with the participants.

Scott

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
No events in India ??
The Iron Butt Association itself sponsors virtually no events (the Iron Butt Rally is actually an event of the Iron Butt Rally, Inc.). Moreover, there are some significant issues we've run into regarding Indian rides (please see the post at http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/india-ride-certifications.10/). We are in the process of addressing the issues, but there is nothing currently in place.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

The Iron Butt Association itself sponsors virtually no events (the Iron Butt Rally is actually an event of the Iron Butt Rally, Inc.). Moreover, there are some significant issues we've run into regarding Indian rides (please see the post at http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/india-ride-certifications.10/). We are in the process of addressing the issues, but there is nothing currently in place.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Why they got certified when they forged. I'm a rider and i loved riding. Now a days there are lot of international Bike company comes in India for Business so i think this organization have to get some good riders from India. If there have some member in Indian i think no one forged. I have planed to visit Leh-Ladakh in Aug'17. and doing this Saddle Sore 1000 on same time. As Kolkata to Delhi road is good and 1000 Mile too. I also planed again Saddle Sore 1000 while return home (Delhi-Kolkata).

Can i share my trip details - tour of Ladakh hare..

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I will content myself with watching Spotwalla and the ride reports. :)
Please try to remember, the IBR is not a spectator sport. It's an event for the participants. Reading about it after the fact should be the expectation, not attempting to watch it in progress. Most riders limit who they give their Spot info to, and NO ONE should pass on a rider's Spot info with out the rider's express permission. Do not attempt to guess and then discuss who's public Spot equates to what rider. There are many reasons the riders need to remain anonymous, please respect that and don't attempt to sort out who is who, or worse claim to know Spot XX belongs to Rider XXX. This will only create more problems and cause the IBR staff to re-mix the display numbers.

During the 2nd leg of the 2013 IBR a good friend, (that I did not give my spot info to), called me at 0300 because he felt I was stopped too long in Cheyenne, WY. I was on pace and had intended to sleep until 0400, which would have been nice, had the phone not awakened me. He did not know my plan. He did not know when I was planning on getting up. He had no knowledge of my bonus list or plans and was not on the ride with me to assess my physical condition. He had no good reason to disturb me, but as a friend and IBR vet, he was concerned. His call did not help me, only lost me an hour of sleep I really wanted and could have used later in the day.

After the rally I discovered that someone else had given him my Spot info. Someone I had trusted to keep it private and had been told not to share it with others. They mistakenly believed that it was ok to share with people they knew I was friends with. That was not true. Very few people should have a rider's Spot info. Only the rider knows what's going on and how they are doing. Only the rider can make the judgement call, for better or worse, on choosing their actions. This is an individual sport, not a group activity.

As a further note to riders and observers, riders are not required to put their Spot on the public page. Riders can give their spot link to family and friends, but not share it outside the event for public display/use. In my opinion, no riders should put their Spot on the public page. It serves no positive purpose, only causes problems with people attempting to cross paths with riders during the event, which is seldom a good idea and often causes problems, and can cause riders to be delayed, even by spectators with the best of intentions. IBR staff members routinely shake their heads in wonder at riders that put their spot on the public page. It helps no one and certainly not the rider.

No bonus location should be posted or discussed until after it is no longer available for the riders. This includes in daily reports by the IBA. Ideally, no one will know where riders are going or what they are doing beyond those people working at bonuses where it becomes obvious and Staff at checkpoints. After the riders have moved on, it doesn't matter. This time delay avoids a lot of hassle for riders and should be more closely followed.

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
On some parts of your post, Eric, I respectfully disagree.

To say that the IBR is not a spectator sport seems to be an idea stuck in time. If this were 1999, then that would be true. However, we are in 2017 and the IBR, like everything else, must adapt in order to survive. Even as late as 6 years ago, the IBR was some sort of mystical, secret odyssey only a few oddballs undertook. With the advent of social media, the secret is out and the anticipation of the event is at an all-time high. Society demands real-time updates and the same is now true for the IBR.

Not participating on the public Spotwalla page comes across as tin-foil hat paranoia when anyone with your cell phone number can track your phone location with little effort. Yes, I can see why the IBR staff randomize the identifiers as to ward off any undo 'assistance' that could be provided. Who you give your individual Spot link is entirely under your control. There's no one to blame other than yourself if it gets further distributed.

Spectator interference ("people attempting to cross paths"), in my opinion, is somewhat overblown. You, the rider participant, are entirely in control of how much a cheering spectator 'interferes' with your ride. If a spectator asks for a picture, you can always say no and that you're on the clock. You can always turn down a cold bottle of water. It's up to you. the IBR needs to adapt to this new 'obstacle/challenge'.

As far as your friend calling you during the rally, yeah, that was bad form on his part. He should have known better.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Spectator interference ("people attempting to cross paths"), in my opinion, is somewhat overblown. You, the rider participant, are entirely in control of how much a cheering spectator 'interferes' with your ride. If a spectator asks for a picture, you can always say no and that you're on the clock. You can always turn down a cold bottle of water. It's up to you. the IBR needs to adapt to this new 'obstacle/challenge'.
That's your opinion. Now the facts.

In a past IBR, spectators gathered at one of the bonus locations - Dollywood. The riders needed to take a photo of their flag with the entrance sign. The crowd caught the interest of the Dollywood security folks. To make a long story short, a rider put his flag down to take the photo, the security guard grabbed it and took off, and the rider had to race after him to get it back.

Another time, a well-wisher saw the SPOT track of a rider and decided to catch up to ride along. The spectator ended up crashing.

There have been similar incidents (although not as extreme) in other IBR's. We simply do not want this to happen.

So spectator interference, as far as the IBR staff is concerned, is not overblown. And the rider is not in complete control of the situation.

If you want to see the riders, go to the start, checkpoints, and finish. But please leave them alone while they are on the clock. The riders and staff will very much appreciate it.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

igneouss

Premier Member
I was under the impression that the public Spotwalla page had a delay built in. What is shown is hours old info, not minutes old...
Ira?

igneouss

Premier Member
I also seem to recall some ride reports that mention positive interactions with spectators. As in getting a big smile and a congratulations just when the rider was in the dumps and needed something positive...

All that said, it's seems clear to me that anyone who follows this sport knows that you should stay out of the way at bonus locations.