Newbie trip report: California In-State SS1000

paj

Premier Member
I started motorcycle riding in the fall of 2013, thanks to a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. I think I may have dreamed of big rides as I browsed through motorcycle forums looking for what motorcycle to purchase. My guess is that's how the Iron Butt Association came on my radar back then. I learned to ride on a DR200SE as I thought it safe to start small (realize I'm 6'6"). Then a year or so later I moved up to a used 2011 Vstrom 650 ABS that was all set up for dual sport. After that, life happened ... And lately we were thinking about selling our motorcycles (my wife got somewhat into it too).
A few weeks ago, the idea of completing an Iron Butt ride before selling our bikes seemed like the right thing to do, coming 360. So I came back here, read the rules/FAQs/Tips, watched YouTube videos of ride reports, put the bike into maintenance, and planned a route. Being in San Francisco Bay, going all the way South to Fenner and back tallied up to just over 1,000 miles, mostly on interstate highways (5, 40).
On the days leading to the start (a Saturday), I was mentally preparing myself to be uncomfortable, tired, etc. I had plans to stop every hour for 10 minutes or so, to get the helmet off, hands and feet off the bike, drink, snack, etc. I had never ridden for so long and had no idea what to expect. There was one concern coming out of maintenance that the chain was at the end of its life. I was looking to purchase one in case I'd have to replace it (I don't do much wrenching so it would have involved towing, finding a shop, etc), but work happened and I forgot about it. I did install highway pegs, which came in handy!
The day I left, I fueled up and started the process of getting receipts/and taking pictures. An hour or so later I stopped for a quick break. Riding at 5 AM, I was cold and my helmet was fogging regularly. I was anxious for the sun to rise. I left and stopped one hour again later. But you know what, it didn't feel like I needed to stop so I decided to carry on and mostly stop at gas stations. The sun came up, the temperature started rising and I was more comfortable. Ultimately, as noon approached it was getting too hot! So a layer came off.
I hit my turn around at 12:30 pm at "Najah's Desert Oasis", which proved to be not much of an oasis anymore (following COVID, food services had been eliminated). So it was chips, a packaged sandwich, Twix, and off again an hour or so later. The bad news was that as I pulled to a stop there, the chain started making that sound that tells me it was loose again. So now I had this chip on my shoulder for the whole trip back. I slowed down a bit but the idea of a chain breaking on the highway was making me nervous for the whole trip back. I suspect this helped me stay focused.
On the return leg, I did stop and laid down at a rest stop off I-5 to relax and close my eyes because there was a good amount of wind, which was more tiring than on the way down. I got home at 10:30 pm.
All in all, it was a great experience, my helmet wasn't trouble, my boots were fine, and the bike handled great. My right hand got tired towards the end, and my left shoulder was sore but the only thing that was a real problem was my left ear. A day later, a bit of liquid came out of it, which a few drops should be fixing (according to the doctor).
I'm getting the chain/sprockets replaced today, and thinking about another ride.
I can see how people can get "addicted" to this ...

IMG_20170403_111508.jpg

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congratulations on finishing the ride! :)

Just curious, were you wearing ear plugs? And have you considered taking the tools with you to adjust the chain during a ride? It's not that bad, just a couple of short wrenches and a breaker bar/socket to loosen the axle. You don't need to fully loosen the axle to just tighten the chain, just enough to allow movement.

Good luck with the BB you're planning next. :cool:

paj

Premier Member
@EricV Yes I was wearing ear plugs and I think my left ear didn't like the prolonged pressure. Also, the chain had already been adjusted to the max: I had been forewarned that I only had 500-1000 miles left. Admittedly I took a risk there. Great suggestion on the tools.
@CVO James I'm not sure yet. I am now interested in a BB ride. So part of me is now looking for a bigger bike, part of me is like "why, this one fits your 6'6", is cheap to maintain, supposedly bulletproof, etc.". One small step at a time ...

Last edited:

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congratulations on finishing the ride! :)

Just curious, were you wearing ear plugs? And have you considered taking the tools with you to adjust the chain during a ride? It's not that bad, just a couple of short wrenches and a breaker bar/socket to loosen the axle. You don't need to fully loosen the axle to just tighten the chain, just enough to allow movement.

Good luck with the BB you're planning next. :cool:
Agreed. On my bike I need just two tools to adjust the chain. During the 2021 IBR I only needed to adjust it twice, once at a rest stop and once during the final checkpoint. Took all of five minutes to adjust and lube each time.

Baxter

Congrats!

You mentioned that your chain was at the end of its life. My having an automatic chain oiler providing constant lubrication may be why I've never needed to adjust a chain while traveling. (But I've never undertaken an IBR. That's a whole 'nuther level of stress and wear.) I've found that the oiler also seems to prolong chain life.

Mine is a Scottoiler e-system (there's other models and brands, and there's also a thread discussing chain oilers somewhere on this site). It's easy to use and keeps the chain oiled at a constant rate on longer trips like an IBA certified ride or just a cross-country vacation. Ya still gotta clean the chain occasionally. But I've gone a couple of thousand miles between cleaning & relubing with the oiler.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congrats!

You mentioned that your chain was at the end of its life. My having an automatic chain oiler providing constant lubrication may be why I've never needed to adjust a chain while traveling. (But I've never undertaken an IBR. That's a whole 'nuther level of stress and wear.) I've found that the oiler also seems to prolong chain life.

Mine is a Scottoiler e-system (there's other models and brands, and there's also a thread discussing chain oilers somewhere on this site). It's easy to use and keeps the chain oiled at a constant rate on longer trips like an IBA certified ride or just a cross-country vacation. Ya still gotta clean the chain occasionally. But I've gone a couple of thousand miles between cleaning & relubing with the oiler.
Scottoilers are fantastic for extending chain life! Messy but they work. I've never gotten less than 30k miles from my chains using an oiler.

paj

Premier Member
Thank you for the suggestion. I think I remember looking at automatic oilers a while ago and preferring to keep things simple.
I do think this is the original chain, which would mean it got 35,500 miles, which seems reasonable. This tickled me and I put my service/wear items (tire, battery) in a spdsht and discovered that my Vstrom costs me about $155/1k miles (over a period of 14,500 miles/8 years). There has been a significant increase in labor cost (at least here in the Bay Area, rates increased and time to perform services increased too, leading to visits having almost doubled in cost).

Last edited:

Baxter

Thank you for the suggestion. I think I remember looking at automatic oilers a while ago and preferring to keep things simple.
I do think this is the original chain, which would mean it got 35,500 miles, which seems reasonable. This tickled me and I put my service/wear items (tire, battery) in a spdsht and discovered that my Vstrom costs me about $155/1k miles (over a period of 14,500 miles/8 years). There has been a significant increase in labor cost (at least here in the Bay Area, rates increased and time to perform services increased too, leading to visits having almost doubled in cost).
That's a good life for a chain! And you're right, a chain oiler is a bit of a Rube Goldberg solution.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That's a good life for a chain! And you're right, a chain oiler is a bit of a Rube Goldberg solution.
Not sure I agree with that. When riding for days or weeks on end, having a set it and forget it nice flow of oil cleaning and lubing your chain is far better than the occasional spray lube, let alone the need to pack and carry cans of lube, rags and gloves.

Even the best lube is flung or washed off shortly after application leaving you with a dry chain, a chain oiler keeps the chain lubricated always.

Also automatic chain oilers can be rather simple devices and once installed and set nothing can be simpler they just work without thought.

Last edited:

Baxter

Not sure I agree with that. When riding for days or weeks on end, having a set it and forget it nice flow of oil cleaning and lubing your chain is far better than the occasional spray lube, let alone the need to pack and carry cans of lube, rags and gloves.

Even the best lube is flung or washed off shortly after application leaving you with a dry chain, a chain oiler keeps the chain lubricated always.

Also automatic chain oilers can be rather simple devices and once installed and set nothing can be simpler they just work without thought.
Exactly, that's why I've had one on my last two bikes. They're the best thing for keeping a chain maintained and extending it's life.

But they aren't quite foolproof. I've had the emitter tip plug up while on a trip, coincidentally my first IBA certified ride. And once I tried a dual-sided emitter that was attached by double-sided tape instead of a screw, and the emitter detached on a ride. And on another trip my unit reset itself a couple of times on starting the bike, which turned out to be the first sign that my battery was in need of replacing. So I now check the oiler's functioning daily on any longer ride. And if I'm riding cross-country, I still end up bringing a squeeze bottle of oil to refill the unit.

It's a much better to have an automatic oiler with a chain driven bike. But it's not quite the same as a belt or shaft drive when it comes down to convenience and worry-free long distance rides.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Exactly, that's why I've had one on my last two bikes. They're the best thing for keeping a chain maintained and extending it's life.

But they aren't quite foolproof. I've had the emitter tip plug up while on a trip, coincidentally my first IBA certified ride. And once I tried a dual-sided emitter that was attached by double-sided tape instead of a screw, and the emitter detached on a ride. And on another trip my unit reset itself a couple of times on starting the bike, which turned out to be the first sign that my battery was in need of replacing. So I now check the oiler's functioning on any ride of more than a day. And if I'm riding cross-country, I still end up bringing a squeeze bottle of oil to refill the unit.

It's a much better to have an automatic oiler with a chain driven bike. But it's not quite the same as a belt or shaft drive when it comes down to convenience and worry-free long distance rides.
Well after owning three shaft driven bikes with the drive shaft failing on two of them and I suspect the third was about to have an issue before I bailed and sold it, one leaving me stranded and costing many hundreds of dollars and one costing me a rally start, I'm a bit jaded after having the shaft give me the proverbial....at least with a chain you can easily inspect it before each ride and replacement is an easy side of the rode affair with common tools and easily obtained universal parts. Not ideal of course but sometimes old school is just better for some of us...there is no nirvana.

Now belts, I sure wish more bikes came with belt drive for sure.

@EricV Yes I was wearing earplugs and I think my left ear didn't like the prolonged pressure. ...
IMHO going to an audiologist (hearing aid company) and having some custom musician earplugs made is well worth the money and comfort. I use a little hearing-aid lube to ensure they stay comfortable all day. I did a hearing test (my wife says I'm deaf) at the same time, which never hurts for general health baselining; the test confirmed I am just subconsciously deaf to certain topics. :-D

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Man, it's almost as if machines need maintenance and will wear out!
Or you have no idea what you're talking about and making arrogant assumptions.

When you have riden the miles I have, are the mechanic I am and know everything about my bikes and the situations around my failures you can speak, until then, please don't make snide comments about me or my posts.

You don't know me, don't assume you do.