Pointless 1000

Jonnyp

IBA Member
Just an additional note on the rules.. any one buying a bike, please get some form of receipt to show how much you paid for it when you buy it and the same again when you sell it... thanks.

Well, as I set this up... I suppose I’d better go first... this arrived yesterday.. 1985 XBR500.. 4000 miles (yes... 4000 miles), it came with a powerbronze full fairing, a set of period Krausers and an LSL bar conversion kit... all for £1750. This means I’m + 500 points....

ABB5562E-0208-4997-B173-901D8E80C6F0.jpeg

There you go!

Just do me a favor, would you? For the love of God, please don't put stupid pod air filters on it. ;)

Trust me, just use the stock air filter. Those carbs Will. Not. Work. Properly. if you use pod filters.

When you're cleaning the carbs, take a 10-gauge high-E electric guitar string and push it through the idle circuit. It's about the only way to make sure that the circuits are actually clean, shy of cleaning them with an old-fashioned chem-dip. You can get individual strings at any music instrument store that sells guitars, and they'll only cost a couple of quid if you get the individual string and not a whole set.

Last edited:

JON12A

IBAUK's new Shop Keeper
IBA Member
Here is the announcement of a new arrival. Born 1st Feb 1981,
£1500, Ten months mot. Carbs need a good clean. Would also benefit from some oil
in the forks to hopefully create some damping. Apart from that, ready to go.
Looks a nice bike !. Are the Forks not the Air Suspension units Martin ?

Martex

Yes, the front is air. They just seem too bouncy. If there is oil in them, I'm putting thicker stuff in them.
Taken the carbs off and one of the throttle slides is stuck up, so it's probably the diaphragm gone, but
I haven't stripped them yet. They are then in for a soak in the ultrasonic bath.

Yes, the front is air. They just seem too bouncy. If there is oil in them, I'm putting thicker stuff in them.
Taken the carbs off and one of the throttle slides is stuck up, so it's probably the diaphragm gone, but
I haven't stripped them yet. They are then in for a soak in the ultrasonic bath.
No diaphragms. Aluminum pucks. This is why I said to not use pod filters.