What exactly constitutes a "scooter"?

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
For IBA purposes, what is the definition of a "scooter"?

I'm not being obtuse. I see a differentiation for Gold scooter rides being on machines of 300cc or less, but I'm trying to find what the IBA classifies as a scooter.

Are we talking exclusively "step-through" designs like Vespas, Burgmans, and Ruckuses? Or does that also include "mini-motos" like the Grom and Super Cub? (The Super Cub is a real head-scratcher.)

I'm looking on the IBA website, but I don't see any written rules on it. If I'm overlooking it, I apologize.

danklyrides

Premier Member
Hi Shawn,

There was some discussion of this very topic in the following thread.

What is a scooter

If I read it right, the bottom line from Ira is that the IBA will not provide a firm definition and that any bike that isn't obviously a scooter will be considered on a case by case basis. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Alex

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There is no specific hard definition. Not to be impolite, but your question is moot until you pick something you want to do the ride on. :)

Pretty much any step thru design or semi step thru design is a scooter. Anything with the engine on the swing arm is a scooter. Splitting hairs with Super Cubs and Honda Trails is up to the IBA.

Groms, monkeys, trail cubs and super cubs are not scooters, (imho, NOT a statement of what the IBA will determine). Arguments have been made for Super cubs, but at the end of the day anything with foot pegs and frame mounted engine isn't really a scooter. The Honda Navi is really the only questionable one out there, to me, as it's styled like a mini moto, but has a swing arm mounted engine & CVT trans making it a scooter. If you want to try doing a SS1K on a 109cc carb'd scooter, good luck with that and I hope the wind is at your back all day on a flat or downhill route.

If you want a scooter SS1K cert, ride what's obviously a scooter. Not much of a challenge on a Bergman 650, but it is a scooter.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
They define a scooter for the Scooter Cannonball Run which is in line with what Eric posted

The scooter must satisfies at least three of the of the following five conditions: unit construction of engine, transmission and rear swing arm; wheels no larger than 10 inches; originally equipped with a step-through style frame; originally equipped with running boards or leg shield; a single cylinder engine design.

I'd start there and as Eric says if you want a scooter certificate ride something that is obviously a scooter