Winter Clothing, what are you wearing.

Lanval

IBA Member
Well it is getting that time of year for some of us, while others have already started up the snow blower. With my new AeroStich riding gear slowly being broken in, my attention is turning to heated gear, weather proof riding gloves and boots, and all the little things that extend the riding season.

So what heated garments are you using, which company did you choose, what do you like and dislike?

What waterproof gloves and boots do you use, or winter boots and gloves, again what do you like and dislike?

And finally, what little extra things have you found to enhance, or extend your riding season, comfort, or safety?

Last edited:

JJ Jackson

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hotwire Vest: bought it on sale from Cycle Gear. Has worked well for the past 3 years. I like the fit of the vest. Can't say anything bad about it yet. I will buy a First Gear when the time comes for another vest/jacket. I dont use heated pants as I have long johns that work extremely well.
Klim Vangaurd GTX: Warm and dry. I have had "waterproof" gloves in the past and after about 3 hours they were soaked. Can't say enough about them. A little pricey but worth it if my hands are dry.
Welton FXRG from Harley Davidson: Fit my feet better than other waterproof riding boots I tried on. I can wear them even when not riding. no cons at this time.
I have found that wearing a long sleeve LD Comfort shirt with the vest and Klim jacket have kept me warm so far in mid 30 degree weather.

HACKLE

As far as I'm concerned I couldn't help but recommend Warm and Safe Heated Clothing [socks, pants. jacket and gloves]. Easy to fit the connecting lead to the battery and have it come out between tank and seat for very easy plug in. Fully adjustable controls for top and bottom [socks and pants, jacket and gloves] or you can move the connections to say socks, pants and jacket on one control and the gloves on the other. Doesn't matter what the air temperature is it's always Warm and Safe on the inside. Sorry, couldn't help myself. Seriously good gear.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm a big fan and user of Warm n Safe jacket, gloves, socks and pants. Other than that I use various thermal base layers, an Oxford baclava and just installed a set of Hippo Hands which "hands" down are the best winter item ever.

Otherwise I use my standard sidi gortex boots, my Aerostich jacket and First Gear Jaunt overpants.

In temps well below 20 and single digits where I'll be riding for hours I'll use my Firstgear Thermal suit, super warm, wind and rain proof.

Lanval

IBA Member
I'm still roaming through the options, but being drawn to the Gerbing, Warm and Safe solutions. This will be in addition to my LD Comfort Riding Shorts, and Long sleeve mock Turtle neck, underneath the Darien Jacket and AD1 pants.

Lanval

IBA Member
Everything is pointing towards this combination. Generation WaterProof 65W Men's Heated Liner, Single Portable Legacy Heat-troller and Pouch with 180 deg swivel clip from Warm and Safe, with an 18% discount for using IBA as a code, I have a grand total of $193.48.

I could have gone with the 90W Water Proof Jacket, but this 65W was reduced from $229.95 to $159.95, and then another 18% off that bringing the price to $127.96 before shipping. Everything I looked at, even the Gerbing Vest was more expensive, or did not have the features. I think this will be a good introduction to heated clothing, it also allows me to add gloves, and pants in the future I think.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Soooo...

What I do (or did; going through a divorce so maybe won't be keeping the bike):

Base layer: Russell moisture wicking pants and long-sleeve shirt (I wear these year 'round).

Upper body: Warm n Safe heated base layer shirt, Tourmaster Transition 5 jacket (I would wear the quilted jacket liner if the temps were close to zero).

Lower body: Warm n Safe heated pant and sock liners, Tourmaster Caliper 2.0 pants (I would wear the quilted pants liner if the temps were going to be in the 40 or below range). Merino wool socks over the heated sock liners.

Hands: I gave up trying to wear heated glove liners or finding a set of "winter" gloves that actually worked. Instead, I use the Wunderlich bar muffs (about $180 for the hi-viz version) and a set of insulated bicycling gloves that are easy on and off, the finger tips are touch-screen friendly, and are a unique design in that the thumb, index, and middle fingers, are in their own thing, and the ring and pinkie fingers are in the same pocket which keeps them nice and warm. I've ridden when the bike was telling me that the temp was zero and with the grip heat at only 2, my hands were always warm and dry.

Butt: I kept the seat heat at max because it just takes a long time for the heat to get through everything.

Face and Head: I bought a full-face ski mask/balaclava from the BMW dealer (but not a BMW product) for about $30. It has a good-sized opening for my eyes but will also cover half of my nose, and it has a good length to tuck into my jacket. What's really nice is that this allows me to keep my visor opened one notch and that keeps my face shield absolutely clear and my face warm in any weather conditions. This means I was able to eliminate that piece-of-shit Shoei anti-fog liner (which really screws up the optics, especially at night).

Misc: I wear the Tourmaster jacket and pants all year 'round, even when it's hot as fuck, because they are water-proof. I can vent the jacket well-enough when needed. Still, I don't like the bulk but it's not too bad. The pants have two waterproof pockets on the upper thighs which are easy to use; I keep my key fob in the left pocket and my wallet in the right.

Soooo...

What I do (or did; going through a divorce so maybe won't be keeping the bike):

Base layer: Russell moisture wicking pants and long-sleeve shirt (I wear these year 'round).

Upper body: Warm n Safe heated base layer shirt, Tourmaster Transition 5 jacket (I would wear the quilted jacket liner if the temps were close to zero).

Lower body: Warm n Safe heated pant and sock liners, Tourmaster Caliper 2.0 pants (I would wear the quilted pants liner if the temps were going to be in the 40 or below range). Merino wool socks over the heated sock liners.

Hands: I gave up trying to wear heated glove liners or finding a set of "winter" gloves that actually worked. Instead, I use the Wunderlich bar muffs (about $180 for the hi-viz version) and a set of insulated bicycling gloves that are easy on and off, the finger tips are touch-screen friendly, and are a unique design in that the thumb, index, and middle fingers, are in their own thing, and the ring and pinkie fingers are in the same pocket which keeps them nice and warm. I've ridden when the bike was telling me that the temp was zero and with the grip heat at only 2, my hands were always warm and dry.

Butt: I kept the seat heat at max because it just takes a long time for the heat to get through everything.

Face and Head: I bought a full-face ski mask/balaclava from the BMW dealer (but not a BMW product) for about $30. It has a good-sized opening for my eyes but will also cover half of my nose, and it has a good length to tuck into my jacket. What's really nice is that this allows me to keep my visor opened one notch and that keeps my face shield absolutely clear and my face warm in any weather conditions. This means I was able to eliminate that piece-of-shit Shoei anti-fog liner (which really screws up the optics, especially at night).

Misc: I wear the Tourmaster jacket and pants all year 'round, even when it's hot as fuck, because they are water-proof. I can vent the jacket well-enough when needed. Still, I don't like the bulk but it's not too bad. The pants have two waterproof pockets on the upper thighs which are easy to use; I keep my key fob in the left pocket and my wallet in the right.
RT, I know divorce usually is very rough no matter which side you are on, that is a good spouse getting rid of a bad one or just can't get along. However, there is life after and if nothing else it will make you stronger. Don't lose sight of your passion, re group, and come out stronger.

A lot of clothes has been covered. Rule one for me is Gore Tex is your friend. I presently use the KLIM Badlands jacket and pants. My daughter is difficult to fit so I upped for her an Aerostich. I took her to Duluth to be measured so alterations were made before she received the outfit. My boots are the SIDI ADV/Touring that replaced my SIDI On Road Touring. I like the On Roads for comfort but the ADVs give me a little more protection. However, I found out for women the choices of good Gore Tex boots is very limited. I have not found a glove that will not eventually leak. However, once again Gore Tex is the closest I have found. If they are heated or you have heated grips it sure helps. A lot of choices in base layers but be sure they are made of material to wick the moisture away. I have limited experience with heated gear (gloves and Aerostich bib) but I am about to venture more into that area. I am tired of layers upon layers. Lesson learned the hard way: Do not go the cheap route if you ride more than weekends.

So far the past couple of years (my first in a cold(ish) climate) I've been adding layers. Top is a thermal top, tee shirt, wool sweater, quilted liner, leather jacket, Helite vest, wool scarf and full face helmet. Lower is thermal layer, kevlar jeans, leather chaps. Heavy riding gloves (my new 'Hippo Hands" should be here today). Wool socks and riding boots. Saturday it was 33-34 F for the first two hours and I was OK except my hands. I really need to get heated gear and from the comments above "Warm n Safe" seems a good bet; what about the Widder gear from the IBA store?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Man that's a lot of layers, would drive me nuts! I thought Widder went out of business years ago, left over stock maybe? Used to be good stuff back in the day, no idea how it compares to the modern microwire stuff today.

Man that's a lot of layers, would drive me nuts! I thought Widder went out of business years ago, left over stock maybe? Used to be good stuff back in the day, no idea how it compares to the modern microwire stuff today.
Yeah, I feel like the Michelin Man when I get off the bike! But on the positive side, if I come off the bike I'll bounce down the road like a ball.

Jim Craig

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I wear thin wool long underwear purchased at Sams. A First Gear heated jacket liner from RevZilla (love the heat on my arms that a heated jacket provides), CycleGear heated pants, CycleGear heated insoles, a nylon balaclava, and Olympia gloves. I also have heated glove liners, but rarely use them unless the temp drops into the teens. I cover everything with an Olympia Odyssey riding suit (which they don't make anymore) that I picked up on clearance. Total all in was less than $600 (everything I bought was on sale or closeout except for the CycleGear stuff). I've thought about upgrading to Klim, AeroStich, Gerbing gear but everything I've got works really well and provides excellent protection.

Last edited:

RickRussell

Premier Member
70 degrees
Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear.
People in Canada go swimming in the Lakes.
+60 degrees
North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.
People in Canada plant gardens.
+50 degrees
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Canada sunbathe.
+40 degrees
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Canada drive with the windows down.
+32 degrees
Distilled water freezes.
Lake Superior's water gets thicker.
+20 degrees
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats.
People in Canada throw on a flannel shirt.
+15 degrees
Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Canada have the last cookout before it gets cold.
0 degrees
People in Miami all die...
Canadians lick the flagpole.
20 below
Californians fly away to Mexico.
People in Canada get out their winter coats.
40 below
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Canada are selling cookies door to door.
60 below
Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic.
Canadian Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.
80 below
Mt. St. Helens freezes.
People in Canada rent some videos.
100 below
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadians get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.
297 below
Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Cows in Canada complain about farmers with cold hands.
460 below
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).
People in Canada start saying, "Eh, Cold 'nuff for ya?"
500 below
Hell freezes over.
The Leafs win the Stanley Cup

70 degrees
Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear.
People in Canada go swimming in the Lakes.
+60 degrees
North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.
People in Canada plant gardens.
+50 degrees
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Canada sunbathe.
+40 degrees
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Canada drive with the windows down.
+32 degrees
Distilled water freezes.
Lake Superior's water gets thicker.

297 below
Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Cows in Canada complain about farmers with cold hands.
460 below
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).
People in Canada start saying, "Eh, Cold 'nuff for ya?"
500 below
Hell freezes over.
The Leafs win the Stanley Cup
Very Funny, and having lived in Canada, I fully understand, especially the leafs.

What happens when the leafs win the cup? You turn off the XBox and go to bed.....