23 Iron Butt Rally Preparation

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
“Jeff, curious about your knee issue, was that a knee replacement?"

I had level 2 tears in my ACL, PCL and MCL from my incident in late March. Due to my age (60) it was suggested to avoid surgery and to keep my leg in a very expensive brace for 4/5 months, no work for 2 months and start physio after 3 months. Recovery was going well but had issues during and after my 8500 km ride in Augusta.
Recovery is back on track and feeling stronger as the weeks go by. Should be ready to do the 11 days in June.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am still trying to sort out which of my GPS's will be my main source of routing next June. I also wanted to see the how my rental property and future retirement house which is situated 100 metres from Murray River is coping with the rising river levels. I thought I would combine the two of these issues with a day and a half of no pressure riding.

I headed off yesterday morning an hour before sunrise and put in several locations along the way to see which of the GPS's did a better job of routing. Along the way I took several deviations to see how each recalculated the routes.

Our house in Kingston on Murray is secure and the quickly constructed levees seem to be doing their job. I followed the swollen river though Renmark and Wentworth before going north to Broken Hill. It was amazing to see Popiltah lake on the Silver City Highway full of water.
IMG20221229105551_resize_32.jpg
i always wanted to see Menindee lakes so after a quick fill of both tanks it was south east to Menindee to see such vast amounts of water and Birdlife.
IMG20221229130655_resize_7.jpg
I wanted to take the road that follows the Darling to Wilcania but both were closed due to the floods. Back to Broken Hill before heading east to Wilcania for the night. A beer or two at the golf course and some average takeaway before an early night.

A stop at the IBA Australia memorial sight as the sun was rising and it was back west along the Barrier Highway.
IMG20221230052701_resize_65.jpg
IMG20221230052645_resize_49.jpg

A brief couple of showers led to a great day of riding onto Burra and then onto the World's End Highway and back to the Adelaide Hills.
IMG20221230060311_resize_20.jpg
As far as the GPS issues, the new XT is so easy to use, has so many options and has a screen that is so good to see but as far as routing and recalculating the older 590 is hard to beat. I am still working on the 550 but think I found a job for that as well.

it was not an IBA ride (1900 km /34 hrs)but I had fun, saw some great sights and think I solved another piece of the IBR puzzle.

Tele

Premier Member
Another great outing Jeff. Best wishes for your continued efforts in refining your set-up.
I was out at Buronga/Wentworth (NSW) last week to visit my daughter. The Murray/Darling system is worth seeing at the moment for sure. Dinner at the Gol Gol hotel and the water is in their back-yard.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Good to see you are sorting your technical equipment out.
A lot of water about. I've seen water in Lake Popiltah twice in my lifetime, yet to visit there this time.
You could have use the Pooncarie Rd Dareton - Pooncarie - Menindee back then, but the Pooncaire Menindee section is now closed, as the road to Wilcannia.
Thanks for the RR and photos.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
With 12 weeks until I head to the states I am still in need of some practice gathering bonuses. Local IBA member Murphyau was kind enough to put together a rally pack for me.
I set out this morning and gathered 20 bonuses over an 1070km ride from Adelaide to Pinnaroo to Bordertown down to Beachport and up the coast along the Coorang. It was an educational ride and all seems to be in order.
My fuel cell along with other various parts are now in transit and hopefully will be waiting for me upon my arrival.
I will pick up my rally bike at the end of May and after setting it up I plan to take part in the Minnesota 1000/ 24 hour rally on June 9th before heading east to the IBR the following week.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yesterday I participated in the Lobo Loco mini rally. I managed in the allocated eight hours to grab 19 bonuses plus 10 town bonuses and just over the 350 km minimum requirements.
It was a good way to practice my bonus gathering procedure. I am still not 100% happy with my ZumoXT and it's rerouting ability and will use my 590 when I go off course.
With three weeks to go before I head off to the states I am hoping for one more outing to practice gathering night time bonuses with my rally camera and flag.