50cc itinerary

On March 3rd, I plan to depart from San Diego, CA towards Florida to do my first 50cc (I only have 3 SS1000k), My motorcycle is a K1600B with 7 gallons but I don't like to travel nervously because of gasoline, I have planned stops close to 200 miles, what do you think?
Thanks in advance.

1.- San Diego, CA
2.- Yuma, AZ (173 mi)
3.- Eloy, AZ (184 mi)
4.- Roadforks, New Mexico (190 mi)
5.- El Paso, TX (180 mi)
6.- Balmorhea, TX (180 mi)
7.- Sonora, TX (200 mi)
Sleep Juction, TX - 5 Hours
8.- San Antonio, TX (170 mi)
9.- Houston, TX (200 mi)
10.- Scott, Louisiana (212 mi)
11.- Gulfport, MS, USA ( 195 mi)
12.- Defuniak Springs, Florida (200 mi)
13.- Live Oak, Florida, USA (198 mi)
14.- Jacksonville, FL (104 mi)

kyspyder

Premier Member
I have been planning my East to West 50CC and have planned to stop short a few times to not worry about the fuel mileage. Plan your ride and then ride the plan even if you get better MPG than planned.

On March 3rd, I plan to depart from San Diego, CA towards Florida to do my first 50cc (I only have 3 SS1000k), My motorcycle is a K1600B with 7 gallons but I don't like to travel nervously because of gasoline, I have planned stops close to 200 miles, what do you think?
Thanks in advance.

1.- San Diego, CA
2.- Yuma, AZ (173 mi)
3.- Eloy, AZ (184 mi)
5.- El Paso, TX (180 mi)
7.- Sonora, TX (200 mi)
9.- Houston, TX (200 mi)
You might have better luck with fuel in Lordsburg, NM than Roadforks, depending upon the time of day. IIRC there are a couple of large stations right off of I-10 there.

yon

Premier Member
I like to fill up when I'm at a half a tank, which for me, is around 130 miles. So I plan my stops in the 120-140 mile range. How far does ~3.5 gallons get you?

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
Personally I hate stopping every 190~200 miles. My 1200GS has a ~200 mile range at moderate highway speeds (65~70mph), a little less if I am running 75+mph. I have pushed just over 240 miles with long sustained 55~60mph runs in Ontario with lower speed limits on the 17 and 61 but was nervous and on fumes when I got to the next ESSO.

I am contemplating an aux fuel cell for mine so I can have a comfortable 300~350 mile range and plan my stops around 300 miles. I could get pretty close to that with a 3~4 gallon cell. I don't love the complication and plumbing of an aux fuel cell but there are many times I am just getting settled comfortably on the bike and in the groove at 150~200 miles.

Dave28117

Premier Member
what total time are you planning? I have a plan worked out for my trip east to west in April. I am planning 8 hours in Van Horn at the 1500 mile mark. my stops are in the 215 to 250 range. I'm using my 2000 GW with a 5 gallon aux tank. My plan has me making the trip in 46 hours.

what total time are you planning? I have a plan worked out for my trip east to west in April. I am planning 8 hours in Van Horn at the 1500 mile mark. my stops are in the 215 to 250 range. I'm using my 2000 GW with a 5 gallon aux tank. My plan has me making the trip in 46 hours.

I hope to do 48 hours, I like to sleep lol

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You’ve already done more planning than me, I plan on stopping every 200 miles or so, I don’t generally preplan fuel stops, my MO is at about 125-150 miles on a tank a start a PS search for fuel along my current/active route and pick something that is about where I want to stop. I try to make it so I have a backup within range, many time that just mean picking an exit with more than on station. Sometimes I stop a little sooner with another in range farther one. In rural areas where they can be few and far apart (think West Texas) I have Bluetooth in my helmet and will sometimes call ahead to confirm (a) it’s still there, b) it’s open, & (c) they have gas. I am getting more comfortable using google maps to search and verify hours.
This also works for me in a Rally where you don’t really have time to plan fuel stops, I’ve also found that my range can vary depending on speeds and wind sometimes to the point where a 200 mile planed leg could get if not undoable very uncomfortable.
Just my 2 pennies YMMV

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yup, same here as Shawn K... got a hotel in JAX, stayed the night, rolled out to get my start DBR at JAX Beach at 0500 and headed west with my planned RON in Junction TX. Loaded the GPS with two routes, one with 150mi fuel stops and one with 170 mi fuel stops and glad I did. On day two west of Junction, headwinds crushed my fuel mileage. Completed the ride in 42 hours and even picked up some TeamStrange Grand Tour bonuses along the way. All the best and have fun!

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks in advance.

1.- San Diego, CA
2.- Yuma, AZ (173 mi)
3.- Eloy, AZ (184 mi)
5.- El Paso, TX (180 mi)
7.- Sonora, TX (200 mi)
9.- Houston, TX (200 mi)
Your experiences with longer trips and real MPG should dictate your stops. While 7 gallons should easily get you well over 200 miles, you say you don't want to ride 'nervously' so what did you experience on your SS rides?
Speed and wind may really eat into your comfort zone by reducing mpg. Speed you can control, but a headwind may cause an adjustment that could throw off the remainder of your planned stops.
When my computer tells me I'm out in 40 miles, I get gas. I don't push it. Because I don't want to have to walk.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I found over the years that planned gas stops don't always work out due to weather and road conditions. I have gotten as low as 25 MPG and as high as 52 MPG on coast to coast rides. The wind can play havoc on your MPG's. What I like to do is know the locations of possible gas stops and then monitor my fuel range during the ride.

I used to make a list of all of the gas stations on my route and then add them to my GPS, now we don't have to do that because most gas stations are POI's on most GPS's.

There are a couple stretches along I-10 that gas stations are more than 30 miles between like Ozona and Senora and if you have a strong head wind you may get surprised.

Many gas stations now leave the pumps on even if they are closed.

I carry a cheap siphon hose just for emergencies, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LN1T1W?th=1

Ani

I have done many rides (including the 50 CC Quest) on my K1600 GTL. I try to balance my "low range" anxiety with minimizing stops. I do not have aux fuel tank. 2 things I do:
1. Carry a 1 gallon fuel tank in the side panier (its fairly small and provides tremendous mental comfort.....just in case)
2. Start looking for gas stations about 10 miles AFTER the low fuel indicator comes on. By the time you actually find a gas station, it might be another 20-25 miles, but that's never been a problem for me. I have noticed that when I fill up the tank, I never have to fill 7 gallons (which means there's STILL some juice left). And then....you always have your 1 gallon tank in case that gas station is closed/out of gas/etc.

With the above strategy, I find myself stopping every ~190-200 miles. By then I've already been in the saddle for about 3 hours.....and need to stretch my legs anyways. Works out just fine for me.

I have done many rides (including the 50 CC Quest) on my K1600 GTL. I try to balance my "low range" anxiety with minimizing stops. I do not have aux fuel tank. 2 things I do:
1. Carry a 1 gallon fuel tank in the side panier (its fairly small and provides tremendous mental comfort.....just in case)
2. Start looking for gas stations about 10 miles AFTER the low fuel indicator comes on. By the time you actually find a gas station, it might be another 20-25 miles, but that's never been a problem for me. I have noticed that when I fill up the tank, I never have to fill 7 gallons (which means there's STILL some juice left). And then....you always have your 1 gallon tank in case that gas station is closed/out of gas/etc.

With the above strategy, I find myself stopping every ~190-200 miles. By then I've already been in the saddle for about 3 hours.....and need to stretch my legs anyways. Works out just fine for me.
Thanks, I have considered the extra gallon for peace of mind, congratulations on your travels. Do you hit 200 miles with the low fuel light on?

I'm not much on planning. I plan my route and then use Garmin to find "Fuel Along My Route" that is within the "Fuel Range" on the bike. (I know I've got a 10 buffer when the range drops from 1 miles to - - - Miles.) I normally start looking when the range is at 50 miles. Out west I look a little sooner. I also know that Pilot, Flying J, Love's, Travel America are open 24/7 and like to use those during the wee hours.