Auxiliary fuel add on

I am planning on doing 50 CC and BBG 3months from now. For me to decrease the amount of wasted time for refueling, I bought a 2 gallon fuel container (epa approved). Am I allowed to have it? Thanks for the input .

I am planning on doing 50 CC and BBG 3months from now. For me to decrease the amount of wasted time for refueling, I bought a 2 gallon fuel container (epa approved). Am I allowed to have it? Thanks for the input .
There are two rules that do get confused. Rules for the IBR and rules for Certificate rides. Certificate rides such as the 50CC require gas receipts at no more than 350 miles. IBR rally limits total gas on the bike to 11.5 gallons. For the 50CC, ask yourself is the mounting of the tank and gas line arrangement safe?

-Mark

There are two rules that do get confused. Rules for the IBR and rules for Certificate rides. Certificate rides such as the 50CC require gas receipts at no more than 350 miles. IBR rally limits total gas on the bike to 11.5 gallons. For the 50CC, ask yourself is the mounting of the tank and gas line arrangement safe?

-Mark
The location of the auxiliary container is, I consider very safe. I will only use the two gallon container as a back up in case I get into a sketchy area or my gas tank indicator malfunction or inaccurate reading. Thanks!

igneouss

Premier Member
One take on this issue, for me, is that you are likely required to stop at a max of 350 miles. This is a common rule for lots of things we do... Most rallies limit you to 11.5 gallon. That should get one 350 miles under most circumstances, so that's how I set up my bike. Works for certificates and for rallies. All bases covered.

One take on this issue, for me, is that you are likely required to stop at a max of 350 miles. This is a common rule for lots of things we do... Most rallies limit you to 11.5 gallon. That should get one 350 miles under most circumstances, so that's how I set up my bike. Works for certificates and for rallies. All bases covered.
Thanks!

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Are you talking about an Aux Fuel System or just a two gallon gas can? It makes a difference an Aux fuel system doesn't require a stop to use and the extra capacity results in fewer fuel stops as long as your biological needs are met it's a time saver. Just a spare can I think is a time sink you still have to stop to use it so looking a a CC50 Jax to San Diego assuming an MPG of 40 is gonna take about 60 gallons of fuel, with a 6 gallon that's 10 stops one of which is the end so it's 9 stops on the clock. If you use a the extra 2 gallons each time it's 8 goes into 60 7.5 times. We'll round in down to seven for simplicity. It takes 2 stops to use the 8 gallons so that is 14 minus the one at the end leaves you with 13 stops on the clock. Not worth it to my way of thinking. An Aux fuel system however would result in 6 stops on the clock which would also meet the 350 mile requirement.

FWIW I ran the IBR last year 2 up on a Wing without Aux fuel it wasn't my original plan, but in the end it came down to biological needs. The extra range didn't fit with what my pilon's biological range so in most cases a bio break was the determining factor for a stop. Now I'm not one of the big dogs doing the Big Miles but the lack of aux fuel did not affect my point total. There where a couple times it would have been comforting to have a little more and maybe a time or two I stopped for fuel just to make sure. But in the end it was other constraints that drove my Rally not fuel.

Are you talking about an Aux Fuel System or just a two gallon gas can? It makes a difference an Aux fuel system doesn't require a stop to use and the extra capacity results in fewer fuel stops as long as your biological needs are met it's a time saver. Just a spare can I think is a time sink you still have to stop to use it so looking a a CC50 Jax to San Diego assuming an MPG of 40 is gonna take about 60 gallons of fuel, with a 6 gallon that's 10 stops one of which is the end so it's 9 stops on the clock. If you use a the extra 2 gallons each time it's 8 goes into 60 7.5 times. We'll round in down to seven for simplicity. It takes 2 stops to use the 8 gallons so that is 14 minus the one at the end leaves you with 13 stops on the clock. Not worth it to my way of thinking. An Aux fuel system however would result in 6 stops on the clock which would also meet the 350 mile requirement.

FWIW I ran the IBR last year 2 up on a Wing without Aux fuel it wasn't my original plan, but in the end it came down to biological needs. The extra range didn't fit with what my pilon's biological range so in most cases a bio break was the determining factor for a stop. Now I'm not one of the big dogs doing the Big Miles but the lack of aux fuel did not affect my point total. There where a couple times it would have been comforting to have a little more and maybe a time or two I stopped for fuel just to make sure. But in the end it was other constraints that drove my Rally not fuel.
Thanks! A wealth of knowledge shared to a rookie like me makes me think and rethink the things I could have overlooked.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
If I may...

I recently did a 50CC (one of these days, I may even submit the paperwork for it), and I did it without carrying any auxiliary fuel at all.

Assuming that you're going to do the Jacksonville > San Diego route as many people do and that you can comfortably cruise 200 miles per tank, the only areas where you really need to pay attention are from Kerrville, TX to El Paso, TX and again from Las Cruces, NM to Deming, NM.

The issue with those two areas is not that there's no gas, it's that the gas stations are spaced in such a way that you could pass one station at 140 miles, think to yourself "I still have 60 miles of gas left, so I'll get gas at the next stop", only to find that the next gas stop is 80 miles away.

You'll quickly learn the meaning of the phrase "range anxiety". Ask me how I know. Twice.

Fuel up in Kerrville, then in Ozona, then in Fort Stockton, again in Van Horn, and then in Las Cruces. That will help you avoid the oddly spaced dead zones in western Texas. You'll feel like you're stopping too soon, but trust me, you'll be glad that you did.

It's entirely possible to do a 50CC and even get a good night's sleep. The key will be to keep rolling (obviously), and keep your fuel stops short. If you want to take 30-45 minutes at each stop, you'll come to regret it.

Auxiliary fuel is nice, but not necessary for a 50CC unless you have a pitifully small gas tank or woefully short range at speed.

Last edited:

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
+1 this. I ran a 50cc "the hard way" NY to SFO and the 2021 IBR on a stock fuel tank and neither were on a GSA with a huge tank. It can be done without issue if you get gas when you can and not when you need it. A bit of planning will help that.

As said, aux fuel is nice, but even with aux fuel, if you wait until you're near empty and then start looking for fuel you'll have two empty tanks instead of one.

Planning is the key to success, not more fuel.

I'd also argue that stopping to unpack spare fuel, add to your tank, repack, etc would "waste" more time then just getting off the road and filling your tank. Smart fuel stops can be very efficient and if done well can be used as an all in one stop for food, fuel, beverage or bathroom breaks which actually reduce your number if needed stops.

Again planning planning planning.

Last edited:
If I may...

I recently did a 50CC (one of these days, I may even submit the paperwork for it), and I did it without carrying any auxiliary fuel at all.

Assuming that you're going to do the Jacksonville > San Diego route as many people do and that you can comfortably cruise 200 miles per tank, the only areas where you really need to pay attention are from Kerrville, TX to El Paso, TX and again from Las Cruces,, NM to Deming, NM.

The issue with those two areas is not that there's no gas, it's that the gas stations are spaced in such a way that you could pass one station at 140 miles, think to yourself "I still have 60 miles of gas left, so I'll get gas at the next stop", only to find that the next gas stop is 80 miles away.

You'll quickly learn the meaning of the phrase "range anxiety". Ask me how I know. Twice.

Fuel up in Kerrville, then in Ozona, then in Fort Stockton, again in Van Horn, and then in Las Cruces. That will help you avoid the oddly spaced dead zones in western Texas. You'll feel like you're stopping to soon, but trust me, you'll be glad that you did.

It's entirely possible to do a 50CC and even get a good night's sleep. The key will be to keep rolling (obviously), and keep your fuel stops short. If you want to take 30-45 minutes at each stop, you'll come to regret it.

Auxiliary fuel is nice, but not necessary for a 50CC unless you have a pitifully small gas tank or woefully short range at speed.
Thanks! Excellent reminder on my part. Very grateful and humbling to see these advices and guidances pointing me in the right way.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If you do decide to use a fuel can and refill from it, be sure to document it so our mpg calculations don't go haywire. You should include a note with your submission mentioning you took a fuel can and indicate at what points you used it. Be sure to refill it any time you do use it to account for the fuel on your receipts.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Russ Black

Premier Member
A friend and I are planning to do the Jax => San Diego 50CC in a few months as well. I usually plan my routes fuel stop to fuel stop. This and having a "just in case" fuel source takes alot of the anxiety away. Especially if your traveling solo. You have plenty of time the plan your route.

My first IBA certified ride was the National Parks Master Travelers Award. I traveled all around the US on a little 650 with a 4.7 gallon fuel tank. I also took along a .9 gallon fuel can that was made to fit in saddlebags for peace of mind. I was on the road for four months and I only had to use it twice. Both times because I left the fuel selector switch on reserve.

The fuel rules for the 11 day 11,000 mile Iron Butt Rally (IBR) and some others are different than certified rides. For the IBR you can not carry more than 11.5 gallons of fuel nor fuel that is not plumbed into the fuel system of the bike unless you are rescuing someone that ran out of fuel. As Ira points out, if you use the fuel in the can, you need to annotate it on your fuel log etc. LeMaitre and others mention the 350 miles max between stops and Shawn K is correct about the two segments in Texas and New Mexico. I traveled across both of those segments two weeks ago. The Texas section is 80 MPH and the New Mexico section is 75 MPH. Both have strong gusty winds. Both of those will decrease your fuel mileage. Fuel up where he suggests except I'd add Anthony, Tx (Mile Marker 0) as fuel in Texas is cheaper than in New Mexico.

Good Luck and Travel Safe.

A friend and I are planning to do the Jax => San Diego 50CC in a few months as well. I usually plan my routes fuel stop to fuel stop. This and having a "just in case" fuel source takes alot of the anxiety away. Especially if your traveling solo. You have plenty of time the plan your route.

My first IBA certified ride was the National Parks Master Travelers Award. I traveled all around the US on a little 650 with a 4.7 gallon fuel tank. I also took along a .9 gallon fuel can that was made to fit in saddlebags for peace of mind. I was on the road for four months and I only had to use it twice. Both times because I left the fuel selector switch on reserve.

The fuel rules for the 11 day 11,000 mile Iron Butt Rally (IBR) and some others are different than certified rides. For the IBR you can not carry more than 11.5 gallons of fuel nor fuel that is not plumbed into the fuel system of the bike unless you are rescuing someone that ran out of fuel. As Ira points out, if you use the fuel in the can, you need to annotate it on your fuel log etc. LeMaitre and others mention the 350 miles max between stops and Shawn K is correct about the two segments in Texas and New Mexico. I traveled across both of those segments two weeks ago. The Texas section is 80 MPH and the New Mexico section is 75 MPH. Both have strong gusty winds. Both of those will decrease your fuel mileage. Fuel up where he suggests except I'd add Anthony, Tx (Mile Marker 0) as fuel in Texas is cheaper than in New Mexico.

Good Luck and Travel Safe.
Thanks for the valuable info!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi @renato pasion - For the cert rides, the extra gas can is fine. Secure it so you don't lose time pulling the can off to refuel. On your fuel log, you must account for all fuel used and still maintain a DBR every 350 miles or less.

When I did my SS1k ride on my 150cc scooter, my stock range was only 100-110 miles and the scooter only has a 2.1 gallon tank. I took a 2.25 Gal fuel jug with me. With some exceptions, every other fuel stop was on the road side with the jug. My fuel log states "on road fuel" for the times I used the jug. I still log the date, time, time zone and miles from last stop on the log. When I fill only the main tank at a gas station, I make a note of that. Otherwise I note that I filled both tanks or tank and jug. This helps document my mileage between gas stations and between all refueling stops. I added a note explaining this at the top of the fuel log page. When I filled at a gas station I filled both the main tank and the jug and my receipt accounts for all of my fuel as per IBA rules. In my case, even with the jug, I was in no danger of exceeding the 350 range between DBRs.

At one point in my ride I realized that by stopping earlier than planned, I would be able to fill only the main tank then, but would skip another fuel stop that was farther off my route, thus saving time. So I have that one stop that just says "main tank only" with time, miles, etc. My particular route had zero gas stations on the actual route.

Good luck and have fun. Document all your stops for fuel, by the road or at a station. You don't need a separate receipt for filling the jug, just fill the bike and the jug on one receipt. Note filling both on the fuel log for that stop. It makes it clearer to the verification team.

Hi @renato pasion - For the cert rides, the extra gas can is fine. Secure it so you don't lose time pulling the can off to refuel. On your fuel log, you must account for all fuel used and still maintain a DBR every 350 miles or less.

When I did my SS1k ride on my 150cc scooter, my stock range was only 100-110 miles and the scooter only has a 2.1 gallon tank. I took a 2.25 Gal fuel jug with me. With some exceptions, every other fuel stop was on the road side with the jug. My fuel log states "on road fuel" for the times I used the jug. I still log the date, time, time zone and miles from last stop on the log. When I fill only the main tank at a gas station, I make a note of that. Otherwise I note that I filled both tanks or tank and jug. This helps document my mileage between gas stations and between all refueling stops. I added a note explaining this at the top of the fuel log page. When I filled at a gas station I filled both the main tank and the jug and my receipt accounts for all of my fuel as per IBA rules. In my case, even with the jug, I was in no danger of exceeding the 350 range between DBRs.

At one point in my ride I realized that by stopping earlier than planned, I would be able to fill only the main tank then, but would skip another fuel stop that was farther off my route, thus saving time. So I have that one stop that just says "main tank only" with time, miles, etc. My particular route had zero gas stations on the actual route.

Good luck and have fun. Document all your stops for fuel, by the road or at a station. You don't need a separate receipt for filling the jug, just fill the bike and the jug on one receipt. Note filling both on the fuel log for that stop. It makes it clearer to the verification team.
Thank you!

Russ Black

Premier Member
I live very near the Bolivar/Galveston Ferry and cross it often... Hence the .9 gal can that fits into the saddle bag. Not the case an issue with a plumbed in Aux tank. As a FYI, they also divert about 10-20% of the vehicles to the inspection lane and open everything.

Last edited: