Cal 24 Rally history?

keithu

Does anyone know when the first Cal 24 Rally was held? I'm interested to know how it got started.

The first time I heard of the Cal 24 was in 1993 or '94, after reading about it in one of the California regional mags. I entered in 1995 when it had been reformatted slightly into the Cal 1+1. Peter Heesch was the rallymaster, and I think Gary Kunich was the route designer. I also rode the 1+1 in 1996, and the Cal 24 in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2016.

I considered asking in the Cal 24 forum, but it's not very active right now.

kwthom

Rider
Premier Member
IBA Member
Wow, that's quite a list! It'd be interesting to hear stories from anyone who participated in 1989 or other early years.
I want to think there's a lot of information that may have been part of the original version of the IBA forum. It's unfortunate that the information isn't readily available at this time for perusal, but I do recognize that the license for that software has expired (in favor of keeping this modern version of the forum alive...)

Some of those riders from those early rally versions could still be around - identifying them today would be the mystery.

This *does* bring up a very valid point. Many of those rallies on that list are relics of a long lost time. Did anyone out there bother to save that history? The IBR has quite the history, and that has been rather well recorded, but many of those other rallies (started in the 80's and '90's) also have some intriguing history as well.

keithu

Reports from the earliest rallies would have been in magazines if they were published at all. There used to be small regional motorcycle mags around the country, especially in California. That's where I first learned about endurance rallies. I read about the Cal 24 in Independent Biker or City Bike I think.

The internet came along and we suddenly had access to more event calendars and ride reports. But online information is far from permanent. People change platforms and servers, and info goes away. For example, in 1998 Jeff Earls and I ran the Timberbutt Rally. We had a website with photos, reports, etc. Where is all that data now? I was the organizer and I don't even know.

kwthom

Rider
Premier Member
IBA Member
Agreed on the non-permanence of on-line data. Even if those magazines had been saved/scanned from back in the day, as ephemeral objects, there was no sense in saving that.

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Does anyone know when the first Cal 24 Rally was held? I'm interested to know how it got started.
Greetings, Keith ...

First year for the rally was 1989. I rode that year, but was not involved in its administration. As I recall, the rally began in Fairfield, CA, and Lee Hughes was the Rally Master.
My certificate of completion for that year includes the following wording:
=====
1ST ANNUAL CALIFORNIA 24 HOUR RALLY
The motorcycle enthusiast challenge to benefit Alzheimer's Disease
SEPTEMBER 17, 1989

=====
The event was last held in 2016. In a personal email from Mark Crane in Jan-2019, he mentioned discussing the event with the current organizer, and wrote: "Hopefully, we'll be able to do it in 2020"

Regards ... Dave