Dual GPS Setup

EddyC

IBA Member
One CAN use 10+ waypoints in Google Maps:

Insert your 10 waypoints in Google Maps...
Go to the "Https://....." at the top of the page....
Find the @-sign somewhere at the end of the address...
insert a "+/" just before the @-sign (without the " " of course...)
Press Enter/Return...
Now you have the opportunity to insert waypoint #11...
Repeat for #12 etc...

Good luck!
Ed.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
One CAN use 10+ waypoints in Google Maps:

Insert your 10 waypoints in Google Maps...
Go to the "Https://....." at the top of the page....
Find the @-sign somewhere at the end of the address...
insert a "+/" just before the @-sign (without the " " of course...)
Press Enter/Return...
Now you have the opportunity to insert waypoint #11...
Repeat for #12 etc...

Good luck!
Ed.
That assumes one is using the web access option for Google Maps. Cannot do that using the GM App on a "smart" device.

RobG4

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
What I wish is that Google would allow more than 10 waypoints in Google Maps.

I rarely use Google Maps with a dedicated route. I use it point-to-point, so number of waypoints is no factor. If you have your route written down (and you should), and you know approximately where your bonuses are on the map (and you should), then selecting a pin drop on a map and sending that to Google Maps is easy. No need to set up a full route to follow.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I rarely use Google Maps with a dedicated route. I use it point-to-point, so number of waypoints is no factor. If you have your route written down (and you should), and you know approximately where your bonuses are on the map (and you should), then selecting a pin drop on a map and sending that to Google Maps is easy. No need to set up a full route to follow.
Yes, this... I got burned pretty bad on a Cog rally because I was routing "Full Route" rather than point-to-point using a 376c. Problem was I placed the waypoint on the highway instead of off to the side and the GPS silently took me right to and through it without saying a thing. It was way too late when I finally realized I missed the bonus. From that experience I modified my rally technique to have a written list of sequential bonuses in the map pouch of the tank bag and to only navigate point-to-point based upon that list, loading the next waypoint leaving the last. Occasionally I will load the entire route to see ETA to the finish/checkpoint, but 99.5% of the time I have only the next waypoint loaded.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Similar to many ... but my old formula for multi-day events my 2nd GPS would contain my full planned route so I had a decent picture of actual arrival ETA while my primary would be for point to point, so I could easily tell if I had time to add in or had to remove something. All backed up by handwriten index cards in my tankbag window of course.

I finally added in a phone and 1st used it in LDX, so that became my point to point, using POI Viewer and my secondary GPS held my actual route. For me, this worked great, I found routing on the fly was easier with my phone than the GPS so that is the system I use now, and how I was set up for the last IBR. I have the BMW Nav for GPS so I usually have that on the bikes telemetry data screen until I'm in a city.

As far as redundancy, for long events, I carry a spare Nav with my routes already loaded. It only takes a few minutes more to load into 2 units so if mine bricks up or wonks out, I can simply swap it out roadside and move on.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I run two nav units; a Garmin 396 and a Garmin Zumo XT... I prefer to not run the 396 if possible because the lower memory and slower processor make the 396 less responsive, especially with a large multi-stop rally plan being run.
I had the opposite experience. I ran an XT and 396 in a CG rally in 2022 and again in the '23 IBR. I found the 396 always booted faster and recalculated more quickly and reliably. The XT frequently got confused and stuck in "do a U turn" loops while the 396 was totally reliable. Sometimes the XT just gave up and I had to restart routing. Running them side by side with the same route it was clear how much better the 396 performed. I've since replaced the XT with a 2nd 396.

I set up the dual 396 displays so each one shows different data. One shows time and distance to the next waypoint, the other show time and distance to final destination. It lets me see more data at a glance while keeping each display relatively clean.

Last edited: