Four more for 2024

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
In the words of Baldrick “I have a cunning plan….”

IanM, with The Great Escape Ride has reminded me that 2024 is the 80th Anniversary of several ‘Incidents’. The storming of Montecassino . The massacre of the occupants of Oradour-sur-Glane. The sinking of The Tirpitz.

In 2024 I intend to complete rides to remember those that lost their lives in each of these events. If anyone wishes to accompany me on the rides I will furnish routes and other information.

With The Great Escape ride, there are 4 IBA rides available. The Tirpitz ride will be more than 48 hours and qualify as an Advanced Level Ride (Extended) for MileEater purposes. I also intend to complete a 6 Nations Ride in 2024 to Celebrate the Rugby Tournament. This will also be more than 48 hours and qualify at the Advanced Level (Extended) for MileEater purposes.

That will give the opportunity to complete 3 standard level rides and 2 Advanced level rides within 12 months. A Silver MileEater. El President will issue Silver MileEater Certificates FOC to riders who successfully complete all 5 rides.

Provisional Dates for your diaries below. I will start individual Threads for each ride later.

17th Feb 6 Nations Ride
https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.ph...ugural-ride-saturday-17th-february-2024.6443/

23 March Great Escape (IanM)
https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/the-great-escape-23-24-march-2024.6364/

3rd May Montecassino
https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/monte-cassino-friday-3rd-may-2024-ss2000km.6552/

15th June Oradour-sur-Glane

28th July Tirpitz Memorial Ride
As the finish to this ride is about 200 miles from Nordkapp the European E2E is a possibility after it.

There should be an opportunity to discuss the ride at the end over a suitable beverage.

1692112512740.png
Tirpitz ride will be 3000+ miles.
Revised route for Monte Cassino 2000km
1702659621807.png

Edit 14:25 'over' changed to more than to avoid any confusion.

Last edited:

Ian M

16th June Oradour-sur-Glane possible (wife's B'day 20th)

28th July Tirpitz Memorial Ride - i wanted to do this the last time around but obviously we were thwarted by events, partly as i did a job at the daughter of one of the mosquito pilots who told me what her dad did

all subject to work and family

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
I have reviewed the route for The Tirpitz Memorial Ride and it is likely to be about 3100 miles. This will reduce the mileage in Norway and allow for a higher average speed.

rolf-arne

Premier Member
It seems like I just have to,, alright it will be a stretch - Starting from home - down to Britain - turning around in Lossiemouth - the Tirpitz Ride and back home again, let me think a bit about this... That means about 10019 miles -- it`s possible for an old man..

Have a comment about the route in Norway - from Oslo to Trondheim - we still suffer from the heavy storms this autumn - and they say that there will be roadworks for at least a year on this road. So this is my suggestion . TirpitzIBA copy.jpg

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Link it with a European E2E afterwards.
Tarifa is closer to Calais than Nordkapp is.
The beer and hotels are also cheaper.

Last edited:

Safari Ferg

Safari Ferg, President IBA Ireland
Premier Member