The Great Escape 23/24 March 2024

Ian M

Next year it will be 80 years since the great escape – which took place on the night of 24/25 March 1944.

The closest weekend is 23/24 March 2024.

I am planning a ride to remember them and the sacrifices made on all sides.

Details will be flushed out over the coming months, subject to interest, but I plan to run it in a similar vein to Dambusters/Vulcan rides.

The start may be at Bushell Green, Bushy, Roger Bushell (big x) has a road named after him (research says so far) or the former Croydon airport where 92 (RB was a squadron leader) flew from when he got shot down and captured (though I’m still checking this); (It depends on start time as Bushell Green is residential).

Then; ride across Germany into Poland to Stalag Luft 3 - may be a group photo if we all get there, but individual photos with the flag will be needed; back via Colditz another landmark; then on to the memorial at Ramstein (where Roger Bushell and Bernard Scheidhauer were executed by the Gestapo); back to Calais – about 1600/1700 miles all weekend to do it and no grotty kebabs in Calais.

It should be possible to do it in 36 hrs so can be split up over the weekend.

Current mapping software, from two sources, puts it between 24 and 29 hours and around 1650 miles.

I know the wooden horse anniversary is October from the same camp but the GE is more famous.

As I develop this ride and there is interest, I’ll provide coordinates flags etc.

I will make the ride open to everyone who has taken part in a SS1000.

I need a sticker and patch supplier.

But first I need to gauge interest?

Ian M

thanks for the responses so far

i'll start planning in more detail and firm up some of the history so we are going to the right places

feel free to add you names and i'll start a more formal list

Next year it will be 80 years since the great escape – which took place on the night of 24/25 March 1944.

Details will be flushed out over the coming months, subject to interest, but I plan to run it in a similar vein to Dambusters/Vulcan rides.

The start may be at Bushell Green, Bushy, Roger Bushell (big x) has a road named after him (research says so far) or the former Croydon airport where 92 (RB was a squadron leader) flew from when he got shot down and captured (though I’m still checking this); (It depends on start time as Bushell Green is residential).

Then; ride across Germany into Poland to Stalag Luft 3 - may be a group photo if we all get there, but individual photos with the flag will be needed; back via Colditz another landmark; then on to the memorial at Ramstein (where Roger Bushell and Bernard Scheidhauer were executed by the Gestapo); back to Calais – about 1600/1700 miles all weekend to do it and no grotty kebabs in Calais.

Current mapping software, from two sources, puts it between 24 and 29 hours and around 1650 miles.

I know the wooden horse anniversary is October from the same camp but the GE is more famous.

As I develop this ride and there is interest, I’ll provide coordinates flags etc.

Interested.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Not sure if anyone has noticed but the Magic 12 Rally is next weekend and Baden Wurtemberg is about 400 miles from Stalag Luft III. Just saying

Ian M

little update

i submitted a draft route and had feedback, so when i get back off my hols I’ll take that on board and tweak.

having issues coming up with flag/stickers that are original and on theme but don’t infringe copyright

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member