I feel the Need, the Need for - ACT Insanity v2.0!

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We have 14 self-nominated riders now. I will ask TJ for the approval for number 14. PLEASE NOTE, that this is not an IBA organised or sanctioned group ride. This is very important. Each rider starts as you see fit, around 3am from Hume, but you are personally responsible for your bike, its registration and safety and your decision to start riding or continue at any time. You must bring your own witness form, and get it signed with your odometer reading, and use a SPOT if you can. You must also personally decide when to stop, drink or eat. A good hydration system on your bike is a must. We have a great group of volunteers, who will hold your clipboard with a signing sheet and witness each of your laps, but after that, everything is your responsiblity. Please come prepared for ANY weather. It should be mild, but it could be very hot during the day, freezing at night or pouring with rain. After all, this is an endurance ride!

Olaf Moon

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have sent this note to the volunteer helpers. Anyone who wishes to join them can do so. Any suggestions on this note for Note II are welcome.

Hi Team
Many thanks for offering to assist us with this ride around the ACT on Saturday March 26.

Your assistance is invaluable!

We currently have 14 nominated and approved riders being Tom Ingrey, Glen Yeomans, Bill Purcell, Martin Little, Ian McPhee, Chris Brooks, Jeffrey Gebler, Ed Gerner, Phil Morrison, Derick Sutton, Karl Pirchmoser, Simon Bell, Shane Jasprizza and Olaf Moon. A bigger bunch of characters it would be hard to find, but one thing they have in common, ALL have completed at least one ride of over 1000 Miles (1610km) at some point. Five of them have completed the 11 day Iron Butt Rally in the USA itself. They are coming from five states and territories on a wide mix of bikes from KTM, Honda, BMW, Yamaha, Triumph, Aprilia and Harley Davidson, in every colour of the rainbow. We may even have one on a Vespa. Some will not show up, but that is on them of course.

I would like to make it very clear that this is not an "IBA Group Ride". Each rider needs to do their own thing in their own time and manner, and the only consistent points are they will be riding on the same day and the same IBA-approved route. Hopefully they will all go clockwise, but last time three decided to reverse some laps (to their detriment). It is very important that they each start with a signed "Witness Form" and note the odometer on their bike, plus get a receipt that tells their start time and date. Feel free to remind them! Some will have one of those bright orange SPOT trackers too.

IMPORTANT: The route starts and finishes at the Caltex Service Station on the corner of Sheppard St and Monaro Highway, Hume ACT. I ask that you front there too please at your agreed time. Beware the pot-hole on the entrance ramp to the station! We will make a place with a Gazebo and table in the far NW corner, away from the pumps.

Riders must sign their form on the way out on lap one, THEN EVERY LAP AFTERWARDS. Each will have a separate spring folder with that form, and their name and details or a photo on the front. They or you must write their current mileage down, they must sign and you must initial please, to say you have seen them. Then they will all ride out. The first and second lap are the most chaotic, as they will all come back to the Station in a ten minute window, and be keen to get on after signing again. It takes an hour to one hour 10 minutes to do a legal lap. They are encouraged not to speed, as they have to do 161 passes under the fixed speed cameras on this route! We will then use "The Sian & Sheryle Method" of aligning the folders on the table, in the order they exited and should return. This will make lap 2 and beyond a lot easier to administer. Note this is NOT a race. No one cares who is in front, but only that they safely finish 20 laps inside the maximum 24 hours.

Riders will get tired. Some will stop, some may even have a sleep halfway. Some may have a flat tyre or mechanical problems - that is the ironbutt. ALL will need food, and most will bring some, but we might buy some very large pizzas near the end of the afternoon to keep everyone going. If someone needs help, encourage them to take a break off their bike - most will do this if only to have a pee. But remember it is their choice. Everyone will need petrol at some time, some will need three fills, some up to seven. The gas station is open 24 hours, but may lock the door from 1am to 3. They could also stop at the BP about half way around the circuit.

SO; please tell me what times you might like to assist? I would suggest you attend in blocks of hours, say 2, 4 or 6 hours. You may come back multiple times, or bring others (noting I would prefer to have their names and phone numbers in advance please).

Olaf

Ed.

Premier Member
You know, 3 weeks out and I'm quietly excited about this. I have 7000oddkm and a parental 80th birthday to deal with before the start line so I'm not fully focusing on it just yet. Also, it is currently bucketing down here. But I reckon it will be a cracker.
Thanks for everything you've done so far, Olaf! (And I'm sure, everything there is to come)

Olaf Moon

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So which way does the track go and whats the lap record?

*asking for a friend..
Thommo, there IS a lap record but the actual time is classified! Let's say it is well under an hour. You would need to be an ACT resident or someone VERY familiar with all the cameras, including the red-light ones to consider this. Just a reminder that the IBA is about safe long-distance riding! There is no prize for coming "first".

Olaf Moon

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So which way does the track go and whats the lap record?

*asking for a friend..
You can ride either way. Experience says that it is easier to navigate and quicker to go clock-wise. Three tried it last time the other way, which of course is within the rules, but became "disorientated".

tj189

Premier Member
Thommo, there IS a lap record but the actual time is classified! Let's say it is well under an hour. You would need to be an ACT resident or someone VERY familiar with all the cameras, including the red-light ones to consider this. Just a reminder that the IBA is about safe long-distance riding! There is no prize for coming "first".
IBA Rides are not races

There is no lap record for this IBA Ride

Just rode a clockwise lap of the ACT Insanity route today.

The speed cameras are all still there although it should be noted that one of the Barton Hwy cameras (-35.2281, 149.12348) only points in one direction at a time. It's in the middle of the dual carriageway. There are two flashes, one for each direction, but only one camera. They turn the camera around to face the other way from time to time. So it may or may not be active for our purposes.

They also had a new one on the Majura Pkwy (-35.260259909955884, 149.18697367752932). It was a test camera. There was a sign saying "Test camera ahead. No fines". It is a temporary looking setup but presumably they are monitoring it so if someone was to do something particularly "hilarious" in front if it, it'll most likely get noticed by people with little sense of humour about that sort of thing. Today, it was only observing the southbound lanes.

The lap took me 1hr 6m with moderate traffic starting at 3:25pm and riding reasonably conservatively.

An added bonus for me is that I seem to have fixed the Throttle Position Sensor issue on the Rocket and it ran like a swiss watch. Long may it continue.