I feel the Need, the Need for - ACT Insanity v2.0!

Biggles

Premier Member
Thanks Ron. To save others doing a search, here are other links you might like to look at:

Original 2017 9 page thread:
http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/act-insanity-ride-planned-june.1345/

Aborted 2020 proposal:
http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/act-insanity-june-2020.3742/

The rules:
https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/actinsanity/

Olly's June 2017 RR
https://olafsbike.blogspot.com/2017/06/

Someone mentioned a while back that bus drivers take a dim view of lane filtering. I note in the link that "not allowed past heavy vehicles and buses". That can be quite limiting if there is a suitable gap. Is that aspect policed?

I note in Olly's report that the Police took quite an interest in the event. I wonder if they might start to implement some sort of "fatigue inspection". The issue might be more prominent since 2017- I know the QLD Police have it as one of their "Fatal Five".

Last edited:

Ed.

Premier Member
Yeah, lots of food away from roadside...hopefully. Although in just the last week I have started to notice more on the road into my place. The downside of the good season is they are all huge and breeding like the proverbial rabbits.

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Everyone, Well this ride is well and truly on, for 26 March, starting 3am at the Hume Servo in Canberra.
1. We currently have nine riders - Ian, Martin, Phil, Derrick, Thommo, Glen, Ed, Jeff and Olaf. More are welcome. PLEASE send me your details to [email protected]. Riders on antique, strange bikes or Harleys are always welcome and some will attend.
2. RIDERS PLEASE send me via email 1) Your bike brand, model and colour, 2) your Rego 3) a photo of YOU in your ride clothes and beside your bike, so that the administrators can correctly identify you on each lap, to get your signature. This is mandatory to receive your IBA Certificate.
3. We have two administrators who are key - Bill and Sheryle. Please ask friends if they can help even for a few hours!? Last time, my son-in-law bought 5 massive pizzas at a key moment and saved many of us (unfortunately John and Sian are stuck in HK this time - she was the "None-Fat Controller" and did a great job.)
4. For those who are not aware, we will continue to use the original route (having discussed many other options such as Williamsdale) because it is approved by the IBA. The ride has been completed on two previous occasions.
5. We will ride clockwise please. Yes you could choose to go the other way, and three did last time. One got lost and two others were materially slower than the original direction.
6. Yes, we will pass 151 fixed speed cameras. Therefore it is a GOOD IDEA to ride the route in the daylight just once to familiarise yourself with the route. Who can remember all the missing signs at the first round-about due to a truck smash, that nearly had some of us in the grass!?
7. The police will know we are riding. They WILL set up a mobile speed van probably on Majura Parkway. Last time it was behind a sign near Fyshwick.
8. Bring a range of clothing. It will be getting cooler then, and may rain.
9. Using a SPOT unit or similar is a very good idea - the IBA is very strict on the rules and proof for this ride. Plus your form and receipts of course.
10. The route is as shown https://goo.gl/maps/3LVSjqnKPQSkVATR9

tj189

Premier Member
Looking forward to receiving the request for prior approval. Other than the rule requirements for a SS1600k, here are the added requirements for this ride:

Rules

Prior approval for an attempt of this ride should be directed to [email protected] , your information needs to include:

• A map (preferably an electronic copy of googlemaps) showing your route and lap witnesses location.

At the completion of each lap your odometer reading, time of stop and lap number is to be recorded
  • · by an independent witness not on the ride with you. (this document will be required for verification)
  • · Before you can apply for this ride, you must have completed at least one of these rides:
  • o SaddleSore 1600K
  • o Bunburner 2500K
  • · You are required to complete the ride of 20 laps in less than 24Hours.
  • You need a witness statement for the beginning and end of the ride. Some rides, notably “Gold” or “Insanity” level rides, require the statement be signed by two witnesses. As this is an Insanity level ride two witnesses will be required unless you are a Premier member submitting your ride in line with the current trial for ride submissions.
The route used should be the same or similar to that shown on the map below. Should riders wish to use an alternate route, please discuss this in your ride approval request.

Your official time is determined by the starting and ending receipts. PLEASE check these documents and make sure the clock and date is correct!

Spotwalla.com is strongly recommended but not required.

Remember it is YOUR responsibility to prove you visited all required stops. Spotwalla goes a long way towards this proof.

Missed this attempt by a weekend, best wishes for all riders.

Biggles

Premier Member
If anyone else is interested in the fixed camera locations, here's the co-ords:
-35.19213, 149.08327 Barton Hwy
-35.2281, 149.12348 Barton Hwy
-35.40282, 149.147581 Monaro Hwy
-35.22567, 149.16112 Federal Hwy
-35.34167, 149.162871 Monaro Hwy
-35.34778, 149.069481 Tuggeranong Parkway
-35.3193, 149.06346 Tuggeranong Parkway

Ed.

Premier Member
For those that don't already (and run their phone wired in) I would highly recommend running the mobile app Waze. Makes identification of fixed cameras very easy and likely also have mobile cameras reported into in, among other road hazards.

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looking forward to receiving the request for prior approval. Other than the rule requirements for a SS1600k, here are the added requirements for this ride:

Rules

Prior approval for an attempt of this ride should be directed to [email protected] , your information needs to include:

• A map (preferably an electronic copy of googlemaps) showing your route and lap witnesses location.

At the completion of each lap your odometer reading, time of stop and lap number is to be recorded
  • · by an independent witness not on the ride with you. (this document will be required for verification)
  • · Before you can apply for this ride, you must have completed at least one of these rides:
  • o SaddleSore 1600K
  • o Bunburner 2500K
  • · You are required to complete the ride of 20 laps in less than 24Hours.
  • You need a witness statement for the beginning and end of the ride. Some rides, notably “Gold” or “Insanity” level rides, require the statement be signed by two witnesses. As this is an Insanity level ride two witnesses will be required unless you are a Premier member submitting your ride in line with the current trial for ride submissions.
The route used should be the same or similar to that shown on the map below. Should riders wish to use an alternate route, please discuss this in your ride approval request.

Your official time is determined by the starting and ending receipts. PLEASE check these documents and make sure the clock and date is correct!

Spotwalla.com is strongly recommended but not required.

Remember it is YOUR responsibility to prove you visited all required stops. Spotwalla goes a long way towards this proof.

Missed this attempt by a weekend, best wishes for all riders.
TJ, many thanks for the detailed reminders. EVERY RIDER needs to read this, so that the correct information is collected by each of you. Sheryle and I will provide the Log Sheets and a folder for each rider (as before). If you choose, you can either carry it with you, OR ask our admins to bring it to you on each lap. Remember the receipts! It is a good idea to carry these in a waterproof folder.

We have currently received 11 notices to ride from "all the usual suspects" - Welcome!
We have three admins, and will be looking for more, even for an hour if you can?

Ed.

Premier Member
Thanks Olaf, I'll see if I can rustle up a couple of suckers I mean willing participants o help out for a few hours here or there. Are there age requirements on the admin crew? (I'm thinking minimum rather than upper caps here).