My First IB ride! - FOXY In State (NSW) SS1600K #2

Yamrox

Premier Member
Howdy all, my name’s Rox.
I’m somewhat “fresh” as I’ve had my motorcycle licence a month shy of 2 years as I post this (aside from yearning to ride since high school, I’ve had no previous motorbike experience before my pre learners course. From the moment I was able to ride on the course bike, my love and appreciation for all things motorcycles started to blossom).

My noble and nimble steed is a Rapid Red Yamaha YZF-R3.
Set up with raised rearsets and higher seat (it’s modded to be a more aggressive/ sportier seating position than stock).

6 months ago my curiosity reeled me in and poked at my stubbornness... Intrigue then fuelled my courage to ask a good friend of mine if it were possible for me to complete an SS1600k.
(Timing of course, as this was the day after he had completed his second IB ride, along with 2 other of our friends).

Cam’s his name and from the moment I had asked, he’s been nothing less short of supportive.
You may have seen some of his posts already; he goes by cjmckay. :D
See his recount of our ride below (he’s touched on some points I had forgotten about the day!):
https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/foxy-in-state-nsw-ss1600-2.6491/#post-83982

A special mention to my Foxy riding friends who keep encouraging me to never give up! Especially @cjmckay and @bipyjamas on here for being the iron butts I look up to. Whether it be for a ride, car park practice or general bike talk, you continue to mentor and aspire me to ride as amazingly as you do.

——————
Without further ado…

During the early hours of October 1st, a group of friends embarked on another (for most of the group it was either their 2nd or third) SS1600K.

Line of steeds:
Honda CB400Super4
Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
Honda CB650F
Honda Rebel CMX500
BMW S1000RR
Yamaha YZF-R3

It was my first time, not only for an SS1600K but first time to be awake during the DLS hour time warp.

And boy was it an interesting start!

After an on and off battle with sleep since 5:30pm, my alarm sung at 00:15. I weened myself to begin the day with stretches and 2 sprays of magnesium on my back (an out of bed ritual I’ve done for years prior which I honestly think made all the difference to my ride comfort level).

Very light breakie, fed the fur baby, disconnected my charging electronics and off I went. I felt positive until I dimwittedly decided to follow a suggested “quicker” Google route to Punchbowl rather than the way I was familiar with.

I missed the Motorway exit then mumbled “Hey Siri, message Cam”.

Although I arrived slightly later (and a little ruffled) than planned, the group were all supportive. In fact, they had utilised my lateness to set up David’s (other first time IronButt-er) comms into his helmet. So win-win!

We created a new Cardo group, then the clock struck from 01:59 to 03:00. We fuelled up and Captain Cam led us onto the Highway.

After about 20 minutes, I felt good and finally got my brain to stop dwelling on my late arrival.
It helps to have friends with you- they keep you positive!

Alas, no way would this be this easy- breezy the whole way…

We’ve ridden many rides together prior to this and are more than accustomed to how we deal with on-road situations.
So in comes the “situation”.
A station wagon being dangerously driven; targeted us, weaving left and right, keeping up with each one of us, then rushing to the leader and repeatedly brake checking. This went on for 30-40 minutes until the driver left the highway close to Goulburn.

Continue below***

Attachments

Yamrox

Premier Member
I have to say, we handled that situation as a team damn well. Using our comms, we called out the position of the (most likely drugged up or drunk) driver. We alerted each other as the driver accelerated, as they hovered to the next group member and as a high number of road kill was smelt, sighted and dodged.

Once the driver exited and with a sigh of relief, we all agreed that that was one hell of a way to begin an Iron Butt ride!

As the temperature began to drop, we reached Goulburn and nippingly refuelled and layered up. Good thing we did as the weather felt like it was throwing a D20 sided dice intermittently until we had reached Wagga Wagga. It was bizarre. The temperature didn’t rise or lower gradually, it was an instantly felt freeze, warmth or cold card played by the weather.

The sensation felt was what I would describe as if we were travelling through portals… We’d feel the temperature change on the other side, whilst instantly coming out into the new location.

After 6 handfuls of the weather’s D&D session, we reached Wagga Wagga at around 8am.

It was a pit stop for a bathroom, bite, fuel and interesting encounter with a slightly sexist Granny. Granny said, as I greeted her next to my bike; “Hi Sweetie, I just need to ask one of the boys with you for help to find the fuel door button”. Clearly amused, I nodded and let “the boys” show her the fuel door was push activated. A moment of appreciated entertainment before I had put my helmet back on.

I’ve never been passed Wagga Wagga before and I’ve also never had to face multiple large oncoming trucks hauling their loads at 100+km/ph on the opposite lane, right next to me.

Layered off, tucking from our fuel stop at Narrandera felt so good. But because my bike is quite light (only 167kg wet weight on a full tank), even when I was tucked, I felt like a paper plane against the wind. Especially fighting against cross winds which caused me to either push left or right to steer the bike straight. My bike would be leaned over as it travelled straight.

We made it through the heat and cross wind waves. I had a stretch session as we refuelled at Hay and let my feet breathe a little.
Almost half way and my feet started to feel like bacon strips. R3 foot peg placement was possibly the cause. At standard placement, my right foot was near my catalytic converter whilst my left foot was near my tank’s breather tube. Combined with hot weather, each of my little piggies went to the sauna.

Palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy. There’s vomit on his sweater already… Just kidding! No vomit, and my arms felt fine (except for the numbing pins and needles that started to develop in my throttle hand). Listening to Lose Yourself by Eminem did help me soldier onto our turning point at Balranald.

We made it to halfway with appetites stretching out of our tummies. It was time for a well deserved lunch break and rehydration.
Original lunch location was closed and luckily the petrol station had a built in restaurant.
Dining location chosen.
The staff were pleased to see us and were shocked that we came from Sydney that same day and set to make it back within 24hrs.
They gladly took our orders and made sure we were comforted with A/C.

Bring on the steak sandwiches and Snack Pack!
As we waited for food, I stretched and we did a round of much needed thorough visor cleaning. We checked up on each other at the table. Some of us were really feeling it by this point because of the lack of sleep (I honestly don’t know how my friends did it with the lack of sleep they had - we truly are iron butts)...

At this point I didn’t want to dwell on how far we’ve come, but kept my head and thoughts forward for the next step. I didn’t want to entertain a state of mind complacent enough to trigger a drop in energy levels. I didn’t want to get “too comfy”.

I had almost finished my Powerade - food started to flow out from the kitchen and the obvious satisfaction was expressed by the bursts of silence between some banter.

Definitely satiated, it was time to direct our steeds to some fuel, back towards Hay.

Maybe it was the fact I was carrying more weight or maybe the wind was playing for our side since we turned around… The way back was less of a workout and more of a streamline of full bellies.

I actually don’t remember much of what occurred between Hay and Gillenbah but I was startled when we saw an oncoming rider wearing what looked like a singlet and shorts. (The temperature certainly dropped at that point). I felt the chill just by the short glimpse…
Feeling eager with capable tanks, we decided to pass the stop at Wagga Wagga and press on to Gundegai.

Arriving at South Gundegai, it was most certainly time for dinner. We ordered some Hungry Jacks and checked on each other.

During this whole trip I was trying my best not to overeat to prevent feeling fatigued and bloated. It was at this point at South Gundegai that the group got concerned…
I was excessively cold (I thought it was the weather but I could see my friends feeling just fine and the other in a tank top to cool off).
Cam really pushed me to eat something and mentioned that this could be a sign of fatigue caused by malnourishment.
I was stubborn and said I’ll be alright with some fries and my protein bar…
I shivered again and the rest of the group urged me to grab something, even just some banana bread.

Another one of the riders (Nick) gifted a can of Cola. I then made my shivering way into the service station to grab some choc chip banana bread.

I’m so grateful for their persistence. A few minutes after eating, the temperature didn’t feel as cold as it did and I felt a little recharge of energy.

Listen to your friends, they know what’s up. True friends will speak up against your stubbornness.
Another long distance ride lesson learned.

Fuel, receipts and odometer pictures; onward with our steeds.

A few minutes on the highway and it was truck-tastic!
We over took countless of trucks, so many that it felt like a video game… We all moved swiftly, coordinating each pass and over take. The only lights aside from our own were the sweeping red spots painting the lines of the road.
I was a paper plane again, but at least the wind was far more cooperative. The wave of wind this time around was felt only when it was deflected from the trucks as we over took them…

From Gunning, we were at awe witnessing a radiant and mesmerising full moon… Large silhouettes of turbines were cast against the silver clouds. The darkest, most contrasted outlines I’ve ever seen facing the softly shone glimmer of the night sky…

Before we knew it, we arrived at Goulburn.
Although I stretched them plenty whilst on the road, the feeling in my knees started to really emphasise the angle of my rearsets.

How amazing it felt to stand and stretch again.

With a whiff of some coffee, I managed to savour it. The only thing that stopped me from gulping it down was the warmth it gave my hands.

IMG_1644.jpeg ]
Couldn’t help ourselves at Goulburn. We are the Foxy Iron Butts! Note to self: remember to take more photos (of course, only when time permits).

A picture full of memories now saved. Now time to take on the final leg (or cheek) ;).

On the Highway again; we were riding in sync, in pairs across two lanes. If you were travelling towards us, you’d mistaken us for a big rig until we’d swiftly dart through...

Blessed with hardly any traffic (until we got closer to our highway exit into Punchbowl) we all started to cheer and pre congratulated one another, expressing how proud we are of each other.

Taking our exit off of the Highway, we were suddenly riding like energiser bunnies.
“Just get to the damn end point!” we ordered ourselves… And got to the end point we did.

My steed wasn’t thirsty for fuel, so my DBR was a snack purchase for my significant other. Blessed for having such a beautiful soul believing in me too…

As I was exiting the service station, I was shocked to see another member from our riding group. No way was he just there, so out of his way at midnight to get some fuel… And then another familiar face appeared.

It wasn’t a coincidence. We were welcomed back by our extended riding group.

“Punchbowl-Goulburn-South Gundagai-Wagga Wagga-Gillenbah-Hay-Balranald then turn around and do it all the way back home…“
1697721475644.png

I did it. My first SS1600K.

I wouldn’t have it any other way than how the day and accomplishment unfolded with my friends.

This is a forever memory.

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well done and Welcome! I hope you enjoy many more rides, long and short. Proving to yourself that you can do these things is very empowering, but it also shifts your concept of distance. It only gets easier as you learn to be more comfortable by altering the bike in little ways and altering your methods to avoid the negative things you experience on rides so they no longer occur or bother you.

Kudos to the group for maintaining calm heads and getting through the experience with the road rager/drunk driver in a safe manner.

MIXR

Well done Yamrox. It's a great feeling to get that first one done. I hope you go on and get a few more under your tyres. You will quickly find that you will be lusting for a longer-legged bike, more fuel, better lights, IBA Hotel style bivvy bags and on and on it goes.

The older hands here (not me, I dropped out of the bigger rides long ago) have a lot of experience to share with you about the bigger rides. Accept their experiences and modify what they say to suit yourself. Above all else, let your head do the talking if the ride gets away from you. Pushing through the hump only works sometimes.

Cheers mate, and congratulations on the achievement. Mick.

Fatman

Well done Yamrox conquering your first IBA ride, this caper is a learning curve. Sounds like more IBA to come from you?

I wonder if your shivering was the onset of Hypothermia, I had this on a Cooktown to Warrnambool 50CC ride years ago and LTP and I had to pull out of the ride in Roma. It came on really quick and within a few kms I couldn't function, shivering, feeling hungry, a bit dizzy (fuzzy feeling) and tired. Once we returned home we purchased our Warm and Safe heated motorbike clothing, fantastic to have! Google Hypothermia and have read of its symptoms.

Yamrox

Premier Member
Well done Yamrox. It's a great feeling to get that first one done. I hope you go on and get a few more under your tyres. You will quickly find that you will be lusting for a longer-legged bike, more fuel, better lights, IBA Hotel style bivvy bags and on and on it goes.

The older hands here (not me, I dropped out of the bigger rides long ago) have a lot of experience to share with you about the bigger rides. Accept their experiences and modify what they say to suit yourself. Above all else, let your head do the talking if the ride gets away from you. Pushing through the hump only works sometimes.

Cheers mate, and congratulations on the achievement. Mick.
Thanks Mick! Appreciate the feedback and trust me, I’m already “window shopping” for a more upright/ or even a more cruiser styled bike to add to the stable. It’ll still be awhile before I’ll be able to fully afford another but it’s a goo of mine to own more bikes. :D

I have other storage solutions including saddle bags but on this bike, being so light I don’t think I’d benefit aerodynamically. I’ve tested them during heavy winds (basically a pair of sails) and it was pretty much like the truck wind thrusts we were hit with.
I’ve been appreciating my growing collection of tail bags hehe…

Yamrox

Premier Member
Well done and Welcome! I hope you enjoy many more rides, long and short. Proving to yourself that you can do these things is very empowering, but it also shifts your concept of distance. It only gets easier as you learn to be more comfortable by altering the bike in little ways and altering your methods to avoid the negative things you experience on rides so they no longer occur or bother you.

Kudos to the group for maintaining calm heads and getting through the experience with the road rager/drunk driver in a safe manner.
Appreciate it Eric, thank you for the genuine words.
I’ve learned a lot about myself post ride and being more aware has helped ignite even more spark to forever learn.

Yamrox

Premier Member
Well done Yamrox conquering your first IBA ride, this caper is a learning curve. Sounds like more IBA to come from you?

I wonder if your shivering was the onset of Hypothermia, I had this on a Cooktown to Warrnambool 50CC ride years ago and LTP and I had to pull out of the ride in Roma. It came on really quick and within a few kms I couldn't function, shivering, feeling hungry, a bit dizzy (fuzzy feeling) and tired. Once we returned home we purchased our Warm and Safe heated motorbike clothing, fantastic to have! Google Hypothermia and have read of its symptoms.

Thanks Fatman, loving how the community is so welcoming and insightful! Definitely more rides in the future coming up. ;)

Never going to stop learning!

Just had a squiz, luckily I don’t think it was hypothermia (the cold was definitely the strongest symptom but we were also faced with a 30+ degree Celsius temps between early to mid afternoon.

The moment I had something more substantial than fries, it was like a small charge of energy had zipped into my system with some heat.