Routing advice for the northeast (48/10)

John Z

Premier Member
I've just finished reading (for the 3rd time) Paul Knight's thread on his 48/10.
It can be viewed here ---->https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/48-10-route-review.381/
SeaBee Capt offered a GPX file that was created with some local northeast knowledge?

Anyhow, I'm getting pretty serious into the planning stage for my 48/10. Paul Knight's route will definitely be the route I'll use, mainly because it ends in my hometown of Pensacola, (Thanks, Paul!!)

I guess my question for those that ride up there is, what time of day should I ride through Baltimore? New York City? Boston? Any other major traffic disasters I should be concerned with?
@SeabeeCapt , @Paul Knight

Thanks,
John Z
Molino, FL

Fun Bobby

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Perfect timing on your question John. I'm planning a ride to Maine to complete the National Park Tour Gold cert and have zero experience riding in the Northeast. Looking forward to the answers.

Rob, 2013 K16GT
Navarre, FL
IBA 15661

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well My answer is don't unless you have a need to. I generally take I84 to I81 in Scranton and then go south it keeps you well away from NY, Phila, Baltimore and DC. and you can scoot around Boston on 295 and 495 which is not to bad.

John Z

Premier Member
Well My answer is don't unless you have a need to. I generally take I84 to I81 in Scranton and then go south it keeps you well away from NY, Phila, Baltimore and DC. and you can scoot around Boston on 295 and 495 which is not to bad.
Well, I still have to hit each state. Your suggestion cuts out Delaware, no?

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Your right I jumped right ahead to Rob and the national parks tour. Where it wouldn't matter.

Some of my answer depends on direction if going south and you leave Southern Maine/New Hampshire kinda at the end of the morning Rush you get somewhere down in Nj and depending on how your pushing most of the evening rush in DC is over before you get there. Or you can hit start at with en at the end of the evening rush an jus ride through the night and be out the other end before things start in the morning. (Works for us night owls).

And if non of that works don't be afraid to stop and smell some Rose's somewhere and let things die down. It won't be any faster but it'll be a lot less frustrating.

John Z

Premier Member
I'll be traveling north, from Georgia to Maine.

A related question, what have others done in respect to all the toll roads? I have a sunpass, but I doubt that works that far north. I'd prefer to not buy another transponder. Are they "toll by plate"? Can I pay as I go?

Thanks,

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You might try a NY ezpass it works in all the same places and they don't actually have to buy a transponder the do take a $25 deposit which you could get back if you close the account. They also have a %50 Motorcyle discount plan for the NY Thruway.

Fun Bobby

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
John,

Send me your 48/10 route when you complete the ride. It's one of the rides I want to complete, and since we're nearly neighbors, I'd like to see how you planned it.

Russ,

Thanks for the top tip on routing through Scranton. Google and Apple route through New York City. I'm sure Garmin would do the same.

Rob

John Z

Premier Member
John,

Send me your 48/10 route when you complete the ride. It's one of the rides I want to complete, and since we're nearly neighbors, I'd like to see how you planned it.

Rob
Rob,
I'll be glad to. Unless the stars align for me, it'll be next year before I do it though. I'm planning now "just in case" I can sneak it in in early September.

I've just finished reading (for the 3rd time) Paul Knight's thread on his 48/10.
It can be viewed here ---->https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/48-10-route-review.381/
SeaBee Capt offered a GPX file that was created with some local northeast knowledge?

Anyhow, I'm getting pretty serious into the planning stage for my 48/10. Paul Knight's route will definitely be the route I'll use, mainly because it ends in my hometown of Pensacola, (Thanks, Paul!!)

I guess my question for those that ride up there is, what time of day should I ride through Baltimore? New York City? Boston? Any other major traffic disasters I should be concerned with?
@SeabeeCapt , @Paul Knight

Thanks,
John Z
Molino, FL
John - I will be watching this thread closely as I am also planning a trip next year using Paul's base route and adding Hyder for a 48+ (i.e. 49) in 10 going 2-up with my wife.

Scott

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hope you don't mind a bit of parallel discussion on the 48/10 topic...specifically, this very region. What a perfect time for me to stumble upon this thread.

I've hacked up the west coast MTF 2012 route a bit. Original is here: http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2012/48plus/Laughlin.html

In running this clockwise, starting in Arizona, it was obvious to me that big miles are certainly possible on days 1-3. Days 4 and 5 gets thru with the upper midwest, as well as the jaunt across NY, ending the planned day 5 on the coast in NH, near Maine.

All of that is pretty straight forward. It's day 6...~600 miles, a bit over ten hours of riding, from Maine to northern WV.

For the purposes of my initial futzing-around planning, I'm using Google Maps - one day per map. Day 6 looks like: https://goo.gl/maps/uNNz8nMjJYk

I have these locations, simply from a quick evaluation of info that's current on Maps. Certainly, as I have read from others, if there's a better location to grab that 'receipt for score', then I would take it.

My brain keeps thinking maybe a Saturday morning with a 0300 EDT start might be the best way to time the jaunt a few hours later as the CT/NY/NJ border region might still be less active.

For the rest of ya, how are YOU planning on solving this riddle?

Kith

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
my EZ Pass worked in all of the states as advertised. mount it to your windshield for best results. good for 16 states and the Illinois road system tolls. the write up link chronicles all issues concerning state issues.

I live in California - so how would I go about obtaining an out of state EZ Pass? Maybe I should see if the California toll transponders are compatible?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Resurrecting this thread, as I could see this becoming a repository of 48(49)-in-10 planning ideas...

To this reader, it would seem that - if you do NOT live in any of the EZ-Pass states, that perhaps procuring the North Carolina version would be the ideal device and account to set up:

"NC Quick Pass E-ZPass and Exterior transponders work in 18 states, [...]. It can be used on toll facilities that accept NC Quick Pass, E-ZPass, SunPass, or Peach Pass as a method of payment."

The other question I have...you have the standard transponder, but then there's also that external mount (https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/about/motorcycle_mounting.pdf) version.

On a bike like a Goldwing, has anyone tried to mount this style in conjunction with the vent that's on the windshield?

Texas Tom

Premier Member
Ken...I have used the transponder using Velcro tabs just above my vent. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I think it was all about where the receiver was in relation to the scanner. NY sucked for placement and most of the time I had to wait/honk until the attendant raised the bar. WV was the best with -0- issues. On my NPT GOLD, I didn't use the transponder and just stopped. Wasn't an issue anywhere really and not too time consuming. It's more mental..."I hafta get somewhere" mind thingy.....

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for that first-hand info, @Texas Tom .

Since home is on the west side of the Mississippi River, there's only a couple of rides right now that I would think the transponder sorta permanently mounted to the windscreen would help.

I'm contemplating a trek back east as soon as April, 2018, and have an opportunity or two to either consider (a) paying tolls along the way (WV, VA & NC only) (b) route to avoid tolls - current plans (c) spring for a transponder shortly before the trip & get things ready to go by the time we go.

I might also try asking the question on some of the Wing-specific forums as well.