The Great Escape 23/24 March 2024

Ian M

Please find attached the ride.

Slight error as the map shows the ferry not the channel tunnel.

The full route is:
23rd March 2024
04.00 start (usual rules obtaining a receipt/mileage image) at a 24hr petrol station near the former Croydon airport;
04.15/04.30 Image of the memorial near the former Croydon airport where Roger Bushell flew from; Channel tunnel for 06.20 shuttle or earlier;
Into France (08.00), onto Stalag 3 museum and memorial by a few waypoints, back via Colditz, the memorial at Ramstein airbase and, the Square des Victimes de la Gestapo in Reims, back to Calais.

There is a fall back in case you are unable to make the museum before 17.00hrs.

All image points are open 24hrs, as are all but one intermediate receipt point, which closes at 22.00.

Not so full route:
I have made the route so that you could start in Calais undertake the ride and get back to Calais and achieve 1500 miles but you would need to be at the museum before 17.00hrs for a receipt, otherwise you are a few miles short on the fall-back waypoint I could find for the full route. This can also be used as a back up if there are issues with the CT etc. The route has been verified.

Once you have had an opportunity to review let me know if you still wish to participate, I will draft a list and then issue a route plan and other bits and pieces via the message system.

route.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Reading the comments the below expressed an interst or gave a positve.
PM me if you need your status changing or wish to be added to the list
PM your email so i can send the routes. if you wish to participate.

1 – Ian Murat

2 - Bob Stammers

3 - John Roberts

4 – Gordon Sears

5 - Philip Weston

6 - Len Jubb

7 - Ian Manson

8 -Jon Parsell

9 - Kim Leeson

10 - Graeme and Sally

11 – Martex

12 – Sean

Last edited:

Ian M

It is a month/four weeks before this ride.

I need to know who is in so I can make enough flags.

I also need to know which route. The Full Route starts in South London. The Not So Full Route starts in Northern France. Both are at least 1500 miles (verified).

Due to shuttle frequency, the Full Route will start at around 01.00 – 23/03. Flags will be available to collect in person from 16.00 - 1800 22/02 at the hotel close by the start or at the start point between 00.30 and 00.45 23/02.

Not So Full Route – your flag, with the route, will be emailed. Start when you wish on Saturday 23/03 but not before 00.01.

Ian.. I’m sorry but I’m out.. just back from nearly two weeks on a Morocco trip which has hit my ‘away’ points quite hard.... not to mention my bank account... good luck...