Tips on going for the Saddle sore 1000 and bun burner 1500 at the same time?

On my first SS ride which was a 1600km, I ate at the McDonalds at half way and the return ride was a nightmare. I stopped at many gas stations to relieve myself but nothing worked. I had to ride with a belly ache until that ache disappeared. My second and third SS were a 2000km that I simply ate my rice Krispies from Costco. It was 18.5 hours for my first, 21.5 for my second and 22 hours for my third ride. The worst part of the ride is going, coming back is just too good.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
While I don't disregard heartburn or gastrointestinal issues, sometimes it's not where you choose to eat, but how much and to some degree, content. A big fat burger and high carb meal usually isn't a good idea on a ride. Digestive issues and the potential for it to put pressure on the system aside, a big meal often tends to make people sleepy.

If I'm wanting to make time, cert ride or rally, I won't take a long sit down meal, but grab something that I can eat on the road or keep it smaller. Like grabbing a couple McD's cheeseburgers, but only eating one on the spot and tucking the other in the tank bag for later on. Even if it's just an hour, you've given your body some time to deal with the first smaller intake before putting more in the pipe. And heck, they taste the same fresh or 12 hours later. I know some riders that like to warm them up in various ways, from aluminum foil on the engine to tucking it inside the jacket for a while, but I don't bother.

Sometimes just grabbing something quick and fast to consume at a gas stop is enough to get you to the next gas stop where you can repeat if need be.

Sure is true and everyone has a way of doing it. On my side, that ride was my first IBA ride and I was at my halfway way earlier than I estimated. I am a leader on my motorcycle association and used to long rides, but not as much as IBA. I have just discovered IBA and am about to put the bike away for the season. Mid October to start Nov, too many days near freezing point temperatures, This year, I'm storing my Wing away, and I have my NC750X to take over the rest of the season.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
While I don't disregard heartburn or gastrointestinal issues, sometimes it's not where you choose to eat, but how much and to some degree, content. A big fat burger and high carb meal usually isn't a good idea on a ride. Digestive issues and the potential for it to put pressure on the system aside, a big meal often tends to make people sleepy.
...like my almost rally-ending choice to eat at a Waffle house on Day 4 of LDX.. if I hadn't run into Brian and Melissa at a rest area an hour or so later and gotten a pep talk, I would've DNF'd I felt so bad...

Every body is different, and figuring out what your body needs for nutrition (and hydration..) to stay alert and healthy is a big part of where "experience" comes in. Me? Protein and fat heavy snacks, occassional mouthfuls of salty carbs (chili cheese Fritos are my current obsession..)... and then as I get sleepy, I mix in Sweet tarts or Necco wafers or M&Ms, no more than a mouthful at a time.. access to "cheap" carbs like sugar perk my brain up.. but only in small amounts.

craydds

Premier Member
SPOTWALLA question... I have a upcoming ride from New Mexico to Florida. Day 1 will be a SS1000, on Day 2 will complete a BB1500. Do I make two rides in Spotwalla Trip Planner, e.g., Ride 1 SS1000 and Ride 2 BB1500?

Last edited:

Russ Black

Premier Member
I initially create a trip that encompasses my entire ride. After the ride I then create a trip with the shorter rides start/end date/time and then select the same device. I have never tried to do two at once but it should work. I have a ride coming up on Saturday and I'm going to try doing two at a time.

craydds

Premier Member
I initially create a trip that encompasses my entire ride. After the ride I then create a trip with the shorter rides start/end date/time and then select the same device. I have never tried to do two at once but it should work. I have a ride coming up on Saturday and I'm going to try doing two at a time.
I will create two short test rides in Trip Planner and give it a try. Give us a report on how your rides go. Thanks, Russ.

JP Handley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
SPOTWALLA question... I have a upcoming ride from New Mexico to Florida. Day 1 will be a SS1000, on Day 2 will complete a BB1500. Do I make two rides in Spotwalla Trip Planner, e.g., Ride 1 SS1000 and Ride 2 BB1500?
My last SS/BB was submitted with the whole trip in one Spotwalla link, everything was approved. You just document your 1000 mile finish, hit OK message with ending receipt, and all should be good to go.

As I remember, when starting a ride on SpotWalla, you have to start it on your phone and when finished, you close it on your phone. So, that way, you can separate your rides. Sure is lots of time on your bike if you do both back to back.

Thanks for the tip! I have SW Tracker that connects to Spotwalla. Out of necessity I must ride to Florida in two days. Might as well get a SS1000 and a BB1500 out of the ride.
On my phone, I also have SW Tracker, but SW is for IOS and something else for apple phones, but both end up on SpotWalla. I am note sure on how to use them since my first test ride on Spotwalla to try the tracker ended up connected to my ride for IBA and could not separate them. I only have done one ride on SpotWalla and freezing weather just started.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
As I remember, when starting a ride on SpotWalla, you have to start it on your phone and when finished, you close it on your phone. So, that way, you can separate your rides.
Not true. There is nothing to "start" or "close" on Spotwalla. Spotwalla is simply a storage place for all of the data you send to it via Bubbler, SWTracker, SPOT, InReach, etc etc. Spotwalla is not an app nor a device to send data.

Your rides are "separated" on Spotwalla by creating different "Trips" on the Spotwalla site. A Trip is simply a way to choose a block of that data to display. Each trip has a start date and time and an end date and time. You can have multiple trips that span the same time, overlap with different start/end times, or have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Here is an example. This first one shows all of my tracks for 2021.

This one shows a small part of that data over a 5 day period.

I run Bubbler on two devices 24/7. Occasionally I run tracking on my SPOT device as well. All three of those devices are used for both of these trips.

Attachments

Not true. There is nothing to "start" or "close" on Spotwalla. Spotwalla is simply a storage place for all of the data you send to it via Bubbler, SWTracker, SPOT, InReach, etc etc. Spotwalla is not an app nor a device to send data.

Your rides are "separated" on Spotwalla by creating different "Trips" on the Spotwalla site. A Trip is simply a way to choose a block of that data to display. Each trip has a start date and time and an end date and time. You can have multiple trips that span the same time, overlap with different start/end times, or have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Here is an example. This first one shows all of my tracks for 2021.

This one shows a small part of that data over a 5 day period.

I run Bubbler on two devices 24/7. Occasionally I run tracking on my SPOT device as well. All three of those devices are used for both of these trips.
How true, I only used it once or twice and could not give a real informations. Thanks for all that.

craydds

Premier Member
Saturday Spotwalla test. I created two Spotwalla trips in Trip Planner - Test 1 and Test 2. Test 1 was restricted to 1 hour, e.g., 12 noon to 1 pm. Test 2 had no time restrictions. I clicked on Enable Tracking in SW Tracker and headed out - slow ride with my woman from Las Cruces up to Hatch. Got gas and refreshments in Hatch and headed back home. Got home and checked my Spotwalla. Result - YES, Spotwalla will "record" two Trips in Trip Planner at the same time. My Trip 1 (time restricted) showed the ride up to Hatch. Trip 2 showed the ride to Hatch and back to Cruces. Conclusion - for my upcoming SS1000 and BB1500 combo rides (SS1000 nested in a BB1500?) I will create only one trip in Trip Planner for the entire ride. Does this sound correct?

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Saturday Spotwalla test. I created two Spotwalla trips in Trip Planner - Test 1 and Test 2. Test 1 was restricted to 1 hour, e.g., 12 noon to 1 pm. Test 2 had no time restrictions. I clicked on Enable Tracking in SW Tracker and headed out - slow ride with my woman from Las Cruces up to Hatch. Got gas and refreshments in Hatch and headed back home. Got home and checked my Spotwalla. Result - YES, Spotwalla will "record" two Trips in Trip Planner at the same time. My Trip 1 (time restricted) showed the ride up to Hatch. Trip 2 showed the ride to Hatch and back to Cruces. Conclusion - for my upcoming SS1000 and BB1500 combo rides (SS1000 nested in a BB1500?) I will create only one trip in Trip Planner for the entire ride. Does this sound correct?
You can also go in after the fact (data recorded) and create a trip or trips with what ever parameters you choose, i.e. put in the start and stop times of the SS1000 and another on for the BB1500 and have a trip for each ride. I mention after the fact because you will then know the exact start and ending times and can narrow it to just what matters as opposed to a trip for family/friends to keep track of you.