Brit Butt Tour 2024

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
39 Joe Jackson – Steppin’ Out
It took me 8 minutes to complete the 7 minute walk (ATGATT) along the River Dove footpath which had flooded testing my old boots which kept the ankle deep water out. All that rippling and gurgling of water woke up my bladder which wasn’t a problem until I got to the public loo in the corner of the car park that had a turnstile entrance requiring a 20p entrance fee, I had no coins, what to do? I noticed there was CCTV camera, couldn’t believe the National Trust would have a CCTV camera in a public loo but there it was. If you see images of a distressed looking “Desperado” that looks like me squeezing through the turnstile without having made payment, in the words of Shaggy, It Wasn’t me!

03 Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Geno
Oh Geno! Due to city centre road works and diversions TomTom failed me and that was a first. Having filtered for about 2 miles in a bumper to bumper city traffic diversion with motorists alert to a motorcyclist making progress 'closing the gap' it seems the diversion hadn’t taken into account motorcyclists using the Bus Lane. However, the instructions in the Rally Book were spot on “ride to here via the east side roadGoing around for the second time I worked it out – Ignore the TwatNav, in off Suffolk Street Queensway (northbound), left Holliday Street, right Bridge Street, park on the right, photo and exit the same way except turn right against the normal traffic flow at Suffolk Street Queensway (legal as part of diversion) and sharp left through the Queensway Tunnel exiting Birmingham northbound on the A38, A38(M) Aston Expressway towards the M6.

Last edited:

John P

First one for me, picture won't load on this chat as the file is too big. Sent picture in via email.
Any guidance appreciated.
Number 41 John

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
As above, reduce the file size. I do it on a PC by placing the photographs in a 'New Folder', setting the view to 'Extra Large Icons' and copy, paste, crop, edit and save the 'Screen Print' in MS Picture Manager. Or, less faff, you could open each individual photograph in a picture editor such as MS Picture Manager and edit, resize (30%), save and post.

Note only photographs emailed to [email protected] will count against your tally.

First one for me, picture won't load on this chat as the file is too big. Sent picture in via email.
Any guidance appreciated.
Number 41 John
I have the same problem (I’m guessing iPhone?) I found a work around. It’s a bit of a faff but you save the photo to files on your phone then convert the saved photo in the file to a jpeg which will upload here.

I’ll gladly detail exactly how to do it if it helps.

It’s one time when a Facebook group would be much easier to use than a forum like this but I appreciate not everyone uses it.

Last edited:
A trip to Somerset for me today to number 63. Started off in pouring rain but it dried up later. Enjoyed the ride as always but sadly picked up a nail in my rear tyre. Luckily got home but new tyre needed.

IMG_8314 2 Large.jpeg

Not sure if this is unique to the latest iPhone but I no longer seem to be able to switch off autofocus. I can either have the background in focus and a blurred number card/flag or vice versa. The only work around I can find is to set it on 0.5 zoom then it doesn’t autofocus. Anyone else find the same thing and got a better solution?

IMG_8312 Large.jpeg IMG_8313 Large.jpeg

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
I'm no photographic guru but I had the same issue with my cheap as chips Motorola G9, some times the flag was so out of focus it was barely identifiable. Practice made near perfect, best I could get was to focus the shot in the cross hairs and then add the flag into view just before taking the snap, it rarely comes out 100% perfect but better than your 2nd and 3rd snaps. Using a smaller flag may help too, my hand held flag is 1/3 of A4.

I'm no photographic guru but I had the same issue with my cheap as chips Motorola G9, some times the flag was so out of focus it was barely identifiable. Practice made near perfect, best I could get was to focus the shot in the cross hairs and then add the flag into view just before taking the snap, it rarely comes out 100% perfect but better than your 2nd and 3rd snaps. Using a smaller flag may help too, my hand held flag is 1/3 of A4.
Thank you very much John. I really don’t think I had this on previous iPhones so am sure it’s a recent change. My flag is 1/2 of A4 but I could try a smaller one. I think I’ll probably just use the 0.5x zoom which doesn’t seem to autofocus.

bmbob

IBA Member
Hi Nikkij
What JohnR said is spot on,(it's all to do with the depth of field), I got round it by using a selfie stick held in front of me at arms length with a very small number card on it. my 'normal 'card is A4 but for the shot you took of the clock I would use a small number card ,about the size of a playing card. Hope this helps.
Ride safe
Regards Bob.

Hi Nikkij
What JohnR said is spot on,(it's all to do with the depth of field), I got round it by using a selfie stick held in front of me at arms length with a very small number card on it. my 'normal 'card is A4 but for the shot you took of the clock I would use a small number card ,about the size of a playing card. Hope this helps.
Ride safe
Regards Bob.
Thanks Bob

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
I'd rather have been on the Six Nations inaugural ride but an old leg injury was playing up and ruled me out of what was likely to be a 4,000 mile extended weekend so I opted to join the Lakeland Motor Museum RTE, which was just as well since the motorcycle failed and would have seen me DNF the Six Nations. Early doors lost all pressure to the rear brake which required a little fettling on the hoof and somewhere 'up north' the head stock bearing adjuster nut came loose causing a proper knock and some minor handling issues especially when the front brake was applied. I didn't have a 30 mm socket or 'C' spanner to correct the adjustment and didn't fancy hanging around for roadside rescue so carried on regardless. I guess that's what comes of riding an 18 year old motorcycle over intergalactic miles. Ride stats - 800 miles, 18 hours (half in light rain)

Bagged another 5 and the old 'onda lives to fight another day. Finding the now blue red lobster after dark proved to be a bit of a challenge too.
JohnR's BBT24 #04 17th Feb.jpg