IBA Australia - 20th Anniversary 50CC Ride

Fatman

Some ride updates below:

A few riders asked me recently if Derrick and I have decided on a definate start time from Port Melb so they can start their planning.
Well we have now - 2am, Friday 25th August 2023. I have updated the first post to reflect this start time.

LTP and I are doing a 50CC and Lynne has booked our Darwin cabin accommodation at the Discovery Caravan Park, 11 Farrell Cres. Winnellie, 10km from the Shell service station at 37 Daly St. We are staying there Saturday 26th Aug (arriving approx 2am early Sunday ) and Sunday 27th Aug. We did look at staying in central Darwin but some of the prices were high and bike security was unknown. We have stayed numerous times at this Discovery Caravan Park both at the end of IBA rides and also during our Lap of the Paddock, and they will leave your room key if arranged in a night safe for you to access on your "out of office hours" arrival.

https://www.discoveryholidayparks.c..._term=visit-website&utm_content=DHP-NT-Darwin

Another close option is BIG 4 Caravan Park click here: https://www.lifestyleparks.com.au/hidden-valley/

If enough 50CC riders stay around in Darwin, we should be able to meet up at a pub close by for dinner on the Sunday night.

Another thing to be aware of , while checking fuel stops along the Stuart Hwy, Google maps suggests Wycliffe Well service station is "temporarily closed". LTP has tried ringing them a few times and their phone rings out. So you may want to keep an eye on that if you were going to utilise them.

Hope that helps.

Fatman

Last edited:

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
At Naracoorte I mentioned the option of Stuarts Well to avoid stopping at Erldunda. I also rolled straight through Alice Springs and filled at Tennant creek. Each of these legs are barely under 600km. They are very efficient if your bike has the fuel range.Take care as always by checking opening hours in relation to your ride plan.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
More maps......

TJ or Karl, in the past Crappy rode a 100CCC from Melbourne (Phillip Island if I recall) to Darwin via Alice Springs but returned via QLD to Coffs Harbour. The ride was certified.

Since then I completed a couple of "Crooked 50CC/100CCC" rides from Newcastle via Port Augusta. They were certified. However that "Crooked" option has now been deleted from the eligible list of 50CC/100CCC routes.

I'm considering the route on the map below for the 20th Anniversary 50CC, returning from Darwin via QLD to Newcastle. If completed within the usual parameters of such a ride do either of you think such a return route would be accepted for 100CCC submission?

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am planning on using the same stops as my last north south 100ccc.

Day 1; Keith, Port Augusta (via Gawler), Coober Pedy and then overnight at Marla.
Day 2 ; Alice Springs, Three Ways and Daly Waters.
I will use the same stops on the way back.

I too would avoid Eridunda, the few times I stopped it was understaffed with backpackers and extremely slow service along with the caravans.
Stuart's Well and Kulgera both had the same issues in the past.

tj189

Premier Member
More maps......

TJ or Karl, in the past Crappy rode a 100CCC from Melbourne (Phillip Island if I recall) to Darwin via Alice Springs but returned via QLD to Coffs Harbour. The ride was certified.

Since then I completed a couple of "Crooked 50CC/100CCC" rides from Newcastle via Port Augusta. They were certified. However that "Crooked" option has now been deleted from the eligible list of 50CC/100CCC routes.

I'm considering the route on the map below for the 20th Anniversary 50CC, returning from Darwin via QLD to Newcastle. If completed within the usual parameters of such a ride do either of you think such a return route would be accepted for 100CCC submission?
- from the ride rules.
'As of November 2016, Australia now has Coast to Coast rides established on our West Coast, East Coast, across the southern part of Australia and the Northern part of Australia and up through the centre from Melbourne/Darwin. It is not envisaged that any further Coast to Coast rides using different routes or start/finish locations will be verified, however should a rider wish to put forward a proposal then please email [email protected] .'

With the establishment of the 5 Coast to Coast rides the intent was and still is, to set up a certificate for those riders who complete the 5 Coast to Coast rides (similar to the Four Seasons Ride). From memory we have one rider who has completed this challenge. There may be an avenue to extend this certificate to a rider completing the 5 CCC Rides.

Our 5 Coast to Coast rides are set rides with specific geographical start and end points to fit in with the requirement of going from one ocean to a different ocean. Extending the 50 CC to a 100CCC, e.g., Australia 100ccc Insanity (South Coast to North Coast to South Coast in less than 100 hours!) requires the rider to return to the original coast.
Should you wish to make a submission for your route, please follow the guidelines above.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Good information there Fatman.

I had more or less read and reread Jeffs ride reports and Wombattles Little Mango reports and settled on those stops listed in Jeffs post above as most reliable so now Im looking at confirming opening hours via Google. Edit Rest Sleep time at Ghan NT 2050km packed away.

However as TonyK and I discovered in the past, a quiet day will see some places shut up well before time. Even a 24/7 show once.

It would be great to see you out there TD

Last edited:

Fatman

Good information there Fatman.

I had more or less read and reread Jeffs ride reports and Wombattles Little Mango reports and settled on those stops listed in Jeffs post above as most reliable so now Im looking at confirming opening hours via Google. Edit Rest Sleep time at Ghan NT 2050km packed away.

However as TonyK and I discovered in the past, a quiet day will see some places shut up well before time. Even a 24/7 show once.

It would be great to see you out there TD

Every rider is different from the next one as to where they require some sleep. LTP and I are staying again at Marla, they are open 24hr so getting the key usually is not an issue, although last time getting our $10 key deposit in the early hours proved to be slower than I liked. Equally important for us, Marla is also approx halfway for us in hours on the bike so it tends to suit our bodies better, I know a few others on this ride have booked in there also.

All food for thought..