Ride Around the Big Paddock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicky Knee

Hi Dicky. A good friend is meeting me in Esperance and riding with me to the same stop in Muchea. You would be more than welcome to join us. Don’t have any preference about who rides in what order.
Good stuff. You guys just ride straight thru Bunbury (give me a 'honk' as you pass the Shell "Servo") - I'll be waiting right on the exit of the station's forecourt. ;)
I'll tag in behind and shake your hand when you refuel in Perth.

tj189

Premier Member
Bam,

I like your planning, especially something a number of riders may not pick up on, that is, the first two days reasonably hard riding distances then tailng off with distances and finishing with the last day being the shortest, around 11k.

The Bruce Hwy (Cairns to Brisbane) is renound in Qld as being one of our most dangerous for accidents, and currently a large number of roadworks. Once you get to Gympie it is dual carriage way, however on the northern side of Brisbane roadworks again may slow things a bit, as does the southern side of Brisbane with more roadworks. Between the northside and southern side of Brisbane it is dual carriage way with traffic issues around normal peak times in the morning and late afternoon. Once across the Qld/NSW border it is mostly dual carriageway to Sydney other than a small section through Coffs Harbour.

Best wishes on your journey.

Bam

Premier Member
Bam,

I like your planning, especially something a number of riders may not pick up on, that is, the first two days reasonably hard riding distances then tailng off with distances and finishing with the last day being the shortest, around 11k.

The Bruce Hwy (Cairns to Brisbane) is renound in Qld as being one of our most dangerous for accidents, and currently a large number of roadworks. Once you get to Gympie it is dual carriage way, however on the northern side of Brisbane roadworks again may slow things a bit, as does the southern side of Brisbane with more roadworks. Between the northside and southern side of Brisbane it is dual carriage way with traffic issues around normal peak times in the morning and late afternoon. Once across the Qld/NSW border it is mostly dual carriageway to Sydney other than a small section through Coffs Harbour.

Best wishes on your journey.
Excellent insight! Thanks TJ. At that stage I am hoping that I am in decent shape and not trying to make up lost time. I can and will shorten sleep breaks if necessary but that there are obvious limits there too.

Dicky Knee

Good stuff. You guys just ride straight thru Bunbury (give me a 'honk' as you pass the Shell "Servo") - I'll be waiting right on the exit of the station's forecourt. ;)
I'll tag in behind and shake your hand when you refuel in Perth.
@Bam
Sorry mate, I'm out. A dear friend requires assistance that afternoon, and I can't let him down :(
Ride safe mate and enjoy

Bam

Premier Member
Friends. I have attached my updated schedule. Changes have been made to reflect input from folks with local knowledge of the route and from folks who have pulled this ride off. I would especially like to thank Fatman for all of his incredible advice and input.

A few things to note:

I will post updates here whenever possible and also on my Facebook page.

I will be getting an Australia SIM card at the airport when I land and will message you from there so you have my local number.

The route plan uses fractions for minutes, not clock time. So, for example, 11:50 means 11:30 am, not 11:50 am. 23:25 means 11:15 pm, not 11:25 pm. I hope that makes sense.

Please note that I do not know what to expect. I am more than capable of running the miles I need to complete this ride. However, I am also more than aware that I am in an unfamiliar place and on an unfamiliar bike. I am not too proud to pull the plug on this attempt if I feel like I am in over my head.

Hope to see some of you on the road!

Attachments

Murphyau

I can't help much with the other States, but I do know my way around NSW, so just for giggles I punched in your NSW co-ords into Google Maps and I think I may have found an error.

For gas Stop 63, you have listed a 24 hr BP servo at -31.34040, 152.79271. I think you will find that this is a Liberty servo that is only open 06:00 to 18:30, and is located off the Pacific Hwy on Mooney St, Telegraph Point.

The BP Servo on the Oxley Hwy is at Thumpster and is located at -31.46276, 152.82243 and is open 24 hr. This is 15 km south of the Liberty servo.

Good luck with your ride.

Bam

Premier Member
I can't help much with the other States, but I do know my way around NSW, so just for giggles I punched in your NSW co-ords into Google Maps and I think I may have found an error.

For gas Stop 63, you have listed a 24 hr BP servo at -31.34040, 152.79271. I think you will find that this is a Liberty servo that is only open 06:00 to 18:30, and is located off the Pacific Hwy on Mooney St, Telegraph Point.

The BP Servo on the Oxley Hwy is at Thumpster and is located at -31.46276, 152.82243 and is open 24 hr. This is 15 km south of the Liberty servo.

Good luck with your ride.
Outstanding feedback! Thanks a million!

MIXR

Hi Bam. Mick from Canberra. Unable to catch you on your start miles but reading through this thread i noted the clockwise versus anticlockwise discussion.

When I went around we went anticlockwise because the weather fronts usually blow through from west to east. The northern ones often have severe weather attached so it's better to ride through the weather front (shorter time in bad weather) rather than with it. You may be striking it lucky with the weather pattern changes at the moment and have softer winds to contend with.

Also note that we switch to daylight savings time in some eastern states this weekend, so factor that into your time sheets if you haven't done that already. The multiple time zones and daylight savings just adds to the complexity.

Good luck and watch the wildlife. Our visitors often underestimate that aspect. Mick.

Bam

Premier Member
Hi Bam. Mick from Canberra. Unable to catch you on your start miles but reading through this thread i noted the clockwise versus anticlockwise discussion.

When I went around we went anticlockwise because the weather fronts usually blow through from west to east. The northern ones often have severe weather attached so it's better to ride through the weather front (shorter time in bad weather) rather than with it. You may be striking it lucky with the weather pattern changes at the moment and have softer winds to contend with.

Also note that we switch to daylight savings time in some eastern states this weekend, so factor that into your time sheets if you haven't done that already. The multiple time zones and daylight savings just adds to the complexity.

Good luck and watch the wildlife. Our visitors often underestimate that aspect. Mick.
Hi MIXR,

Thank you so much for the feedback. I gave the clockwise-anti clockwise decision a great deal of thought. Getting through Sydney, Melbourne, and Adelaide on a long weekend ultimately trumped the potential benefits you noted. It may turn out to be a mistake but I honestly don’t have the bandwidth to redo my route at this point.
I was aware of the time changes and tried to account for them in my planning. I have to confess I may have messed that up a bit and I suspect I may need to adapt occasionally. I’ve tried to ensure that a one hour delay won’t affect me in any significant way.
The wildlife are indeed my big unknown. I will be careful and, as I said, if I’m in over my head I will abandon the grand plan. Either way, this will be a trip of a lifetime for me.
Cheers, Bam.

Foxton1

Premier Member
Hi Bam, as mentioned in my email, Mrs Foxton reminded me I'll be staying overnight near Wagga Wagga on Saturday for a visit with her side of the family. Do let me know if your dates change, as I'll be in Sydney on both Friday and Sunday nights - just not the Saturday unfortunately. :(
Wishing you the very best for your ride :)

Murphyau

I spent a little more time this afternoon playing around with your Ride Plan and Google Maps :--

GS 9 - The address is correct (71 Princes Hwy, Tailem Bend SA ) but you have the co-ords of -35.68930, 139.33710. It should be -35.253581, 139.452443, and I think that this adds 45 km & around 35 minutes to your Day 1

GS 16
The address is correct but the co-ords should be -31.898778, 127.022687. This changes the distance / time from 223 km / 2.5 hr to 193 / 2.0 hrs

Some of the details for GS 56 & GS 57 are reversed.
GS 56
The location details are correct (address + lat / long) but the distance / time should be 151 k / 1.9 hr

GS 57
The location details are correct (address + lat / long) but the distance / time should be 303 km / 3.5 hr

If you intend to use Google Maps on your trip, be aware that it shows that the main 2 lane river crossing at Fitzroy Crossing in Western Australia is closed, and GM tries to route you 7 hours to the south. According to the Western Australia Main Roads website, there is a temporary 1 lane detour river crossing approx 4 km north of town. https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/travel-information/driving-in-wa/kimberley-flood-response/

Enjoy the ride, it should be a fantastic adventure.

Bam

Premier Member
I spent a little more time this afternoon playing around with your Ride Plan and Google Maps :--

GS 9 - The address is correct (71 Princes Hwy, Tailem Bend SA ) but you have the co-ords of -35.68930, 139.33710. It should be -35.253581, 139.452443, and I think that this adds 45 km & around 35 minutes to your Day 1

GS 16
The address is correct but the co-ords should be -31.898778, 127.022687. This changes the distance / time from 223 km / 2.5 hr to 193 / 2.0 hrs

Some of the details for GS 56 & GS 57 are reversed.
GS 56
The location details are correct (address + lat / long) but the distance / time should be 151 k / 1.9 hr

GS 57
The location details are correct (address + lat / long) but the distance / time should be 303 km / 3.5 hr

If you intend to use Google Maps on your trip, be aware that it shows that the main 2 lane river crossing at Fitzroy Crossing in Western Australia is closed, and GM tries to route you 7 hours to the south. According to the Western Australia Main Roads website, there is a temporary 1 lane detour river crossing approx 4 km north of town. https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/travel-information/driving-in-wa/kimberley-flood-response/

Enjoy the ride, it should be a fantastic adventure.
Simply amazing! Thank you so much for the amazing feedback and knowledge sharing. I absolutely love these communities! I’ll make the corrections tonight and repost.

Bam

Premier Member
Hi Bam, as mentioned in my email, Mrs Foxton reminded me I'll be staying overnight near Wagga Wagga on Saturday for a visit with her side of the family. Do let me know if your dates change, as I'll be in Sydney on both Friday and Sunday nights - just not the Saturday unfortunately. :(
Wishing you the very best for your ride :)
Thank you Foxton1

Fatman

Good luck with your ride Bam, don't hesitate if you require any local advice while on the clock, you or perhaps Mrs "Bam" could post your concerns/query here and I'm sure one of our IBA Aust. riders would chime in with some good advice. I know you are updating Facebook as well but you may find some don't use that and I think you may get a quicker resolution by posting it here, just a thought.

At this stage LTP and I are going to meet you at your Melbourne refuel at the United service station on Monday around midday. We will be on a RT and we wont get in your way at all and we may follow you through Geelong where we will wave our goodbyes.

Again, good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:

HACKLE

Bam, just another "headache" for you to get your head around is daylight savings time. Starts this Sunday 1st. Morning in NSW, VIC. and SA. Not sure about WA and NT but QLD. definitely don't have it. Just make sure of your times re fuel outlet openings. But I'm sure your on top of things. Will see you at Eden on your run into VIC. and will drop you in Port Melbourne where Michael and Lynne will be. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.