Ride Around the Big Paddock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam

Premier Member
Bam, just another "headache" for you to get your head around is daylight savings time. Starts this Sunday 1st. Morning in NSW, VIC. and SA. Not sure about WA and NT but QLD. definitely don't have it. Just make sure of your times re fuel outlet openings. But I'm sure your on top of things. Will see you at Eden on your run into VIC. and will drop you in Port Melbourne where Michael and Lynne will be. Cheers.
Yes. Thanks Hackle. I did some research to try and determine the correct times in each state. All my times reflect the time differences based on the places that change and don't change their times. Hopefully, I didn't mess it up too bad.

Bam

Premier Member
Good luck with your ride Bam, don't hesitate if you require any local advice while on the clock, you or perhaps Mrs "Bam" could post your concerns/query here and I'm sure one of our IBA Aust. riders would chime in with some good advice. I know you are updating Facebook as well but you may find some don't use that and I think you may get a quicker resolution by posting it here, just a thought.

At this stage LTP and I are going to meet you at your Melbourne refuel at the United service station on Monday around midday. We will be on a RT and we wont get in your way at all and we may follow you through Geelong where we will wave our goodbyes.

Again, good luck and enjoy!
Thanks so much for this and everything getting to this point Fatman! I will post updates here as frequently as possible.

Murphyau

Yes. Thanks Hackle. I did some research to try and determine the correct times in each state. All my times reflect the time differences based on the places that change and don't change their times. Hopefully, I didn't mess it up too bad.
For the record, come 02:00am on 1-October, Australia will transition from 3 time zones to 5 time zones.

NSW, VIC & SA all go forward 1 hour, while WA, NT and QLD stay the same.

So 10:00 in NSW = 10:00 in VIC = 09:30 in SA = 07:00 in WA = 08:30 in NT = 09:00 in QLD and back to 10:00 in NSW.

Last edited:

Murphyau

I promise that this will be my last comment. While we are moving to a cash-less society, I would suggest that you carry some cash in small value notes ($5, $10, $20, $50) for this adventure.

While all the petrol stations will accept a credit card, if the telephone network is "down" in some remote location, they can't process your transaction. In these situations, "cash is king".

Bam

Premier Member
For the record, come 02:00am on 2-October, Australia will transition from 3 time zones to 5 time zones.

NSW, VIC & SA all go forward 1 hour, while WA, NT and QLD stay the same.

So 10:00 in NSW = 10:00 in VIC = 09:30 in SA = 07:00 in WA = 08:30 in NT = 09:00 in QLD and back to 10:00 in NSW.
The Australian government website says the change occurs at 2 a.m. on the first Sunday in October. If so, that's 2 a.m. on October 1. No?

I have built in the travel deductions heading west and the additions heading east for each state based on this assumption in my Local Time column.

Bam

Premier Member
I promise that this will be my last comment. While we are moving to a cash-less society, I would suggest that you carry some cash in small value notes ($5, $10, $20, $50) for this adventure.

While all the petrol stations will accept a credit card, if the telephone network is "down" in some remote location, they can't process your transaction. In these situations, "cash is king".
Great tip! And absolutely, I will make sure I'm carrying cash at all times.

Dicky Knee

WA voted against Daylight Savings on multiple occasions. The state is just way too big (longitude and latitude) to 'successfully implement DS and take advantage of it. Plus, the main population (90% of the state) resides in Perth, and they are frightened the cows will go off their milk, or the curtains will fade.

Bam

Premier Member
WA voted against Daylight Savings on multiple occasions. The state is just way too big (longitude and latitude) to 'successfully implement DS and take advantage of it. Plus, the main population (90% of the state) resides in Perth, and they are frightened the cows will go off their milk, or the curtains will fade.
Lolol

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
2.5 hours different now which they live with ok.
Back in my wild dog board days on the far west Qld NSW border our boss was on the NSWSA border. We had aest , acst aedst SA time and Qld time so we fixed that with WDDB time.
We lived so far out, time took days, mail took weeks
Groceries came by the tone and a doctor visited us...by plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.