Farriders website unavailable,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimmie

Is there anyone - anyone - still on good enough terms with P Vaupel to pick up the phone and ask him "How's is going mate?" and maybe find out what's happening or likely to happen in the near future of FarRiders?
Last I knew I was on good terms with P Vaupel.

However Reader57 (Peter Holloway) did pick up the phone only last week and has left a message for PV to call him. His secretary responded via text saying PV was overseas at the moment and would contact Peter on his return.

Only time will tell if the return call is received.

I dropped by at the Madura Pass Davo Memorial this afternoon as I was passing. It’s still intact but a bit shabby.

I don’t do Facebook so would be reluctant to move over to that platform. I’d just like ”someone” to stop being a sook and get on with resurrecting FarRiders, or equivalent

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I think one thing is very evident FarRiders was supper popular with us all. The founder was popular with most.
The concept sort of set a very good concept into a very successful ride event format that drew out the best in a group that at my time was solid to the core. It gave opportunity for any member to post up an idea and run with it. Creat a destination and grow a desire to slip the chain and go run for a bit. We met lots of mates and had fun.
For some that was adjusted a bit but wow its been the busiest topic in here for a year or more so devoted are the masses even the expelled have to this day very strong love for the site....not so for the other bit.

A secretary? really?

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I dropped by at the Madura Pass Davo Memorial this afternoon as I was passing. It’s still intact but a bit shabby.

I don’t do Facebook so would be reluctant to move over to that platform. I’d just like ”someone” to stop being a sook and get on with resurrecting FarRiders, or equivalent
I have been pondering the inclusion of a visit to Davos eastern memorial as a loop to the muster just cos. Ill ponder that one. 3239km hmmm might be a bit with no ride fitness and very very run down but I could just trundle along off the clock and revisit w well trodden track in the spirit of this particular muster. Lets just see how I feel.

Last edited:

kwaka

Premier Member
I've had that impression for a while now (been watching this thread silently from the beginning).

The view from my seat is that there's a lot of interest in something being done; I'm just watching to see if anyone takes the bull by the horns and says "Screw it, I'm not waiting anymore... I'll do it myself."

It seems like a great opportunity to learn from mistakes of the past and build something better without the baggage - a Farriders 2.0, if you will.

Just my thought.

For this very purpose and should the need arise, am putting it out there that I can setup and administer a forum either via:
1. within GTR-AUS
2. register a new domain name and host it there.

Dicky Knee

LindsayGT, do you have GPS coordinates for Davao’s memorial at Madura? I’ve looked twice, must have male pattern blindness.
here.....
https://goo.gl/maps/61qGWcZ3Js1LW6ky5

S 31°53.959'
E 127°00.362'

In 2016 LindsdayGT posted "I'm pretty sure it's directly adjacent to an orange "Left Lane Ends" sign.".

Brookster also noted
"Madura Pass location is.... -31.899317, 127.006033 or S 31°53.959' E 127°00.362
Coming up from roadhouse turn right into airport road then immediately right into carpark and in right hand corner is a small rock memorial....paint your number on a rock and leave it in the surrounding pile."

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
LindsayGT, do you have GPS coordinates for Davao’s memorial at Madura? I’ve looked twice, must have male pattern blindness.
I stopped on my way through last week.
I took an additional photo from the road about 50 metres from the turn into car park.

Attachments

Ed.

Premier Member
While I very much recognise the angst and displeasure these events are causing people (remember that some of us have been through it all already but with added aggression and malice), I would strongly encourage us all to do our best to not vent with unconstructive snide comments and snarkieness, especially in threads outside this one. It's been not to bad so far, let's keep it good.

This is a domestic issue and one best kept in-house as much as possible. We really do our selves no favours airing our bitchy dirty laundry like some primary school playground huddle.

Rusjel

Premier Member
Something that’s been on my mind that I want to raise, just to clear the air.

There was a time when the naughty 12 were sounding the alarm about the previous owner of Farriders. People didn’t want to see it and reacted accordingly.

Now that the nature of how the former owner operated cannot be ignored and people are expressing their disappointment. Fair enough.

But let’s at least agree to learn from the past. That means not letting ourselves settle for something less than an authentic community of distance riders where opinions can be shared in a measured honest way with no censorship because a viewpoint is ackward or a bit inconvenient.

Secondly, I’d say that being willing to put up with the previous owners crap while he was in the chair then venting on him when he vacates it is beneath us. Sure, express our disappointment, but let’s be grown ups. We partly facilitated the way he operated. We can learn from that and build something better.

Whether it’s working with the new ‘owners’ to do things in a way we are happy with, or doing something new, we have the experience, now let’s be better.

tj189

Premier Member
here.....
https://goo.gl/maps/61qGWcZ3Js1LW6ky5

S 31°53.959'
E 127°00.362'

In 2016 LindsdayGT posted "I'm pretty sure it's directly adjacent to an orange "Left Lane Ends" sign.".

Brookster also noted
"Madura Pass location is.... -31.899317, 127.006033 or S 31°53.959' E 127°00.362
Coming up from roadhouse turn right into airport road then immediately right into carpark and in right hand corner is a small rock memorial....paint your number on a rock and leave it in the surrounding pile."
If you are looking for the Davo Memorial Plaque it is here
-32.625850, 137.944710

Status
Not open for further replies.