Fools gold ride

Lynn O'Kane

Anyone starting from Pont Abraham swansea
have done a E2E will this qualify for the fool's gold ride
if you dont do it in 24hrs can you still enter the ride for a BB1500

Last edited:
Gordon,

I've just had a look at this in Tyre using your gpx file. It gives time as 24:17, I'm guessing but could this be it's trying to calculate traffic flow? I'm generally not that bothered by precise times but this looked odd.

Chat at Verdun.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Gordon,

I've just had a look at this in Tyre using your gpx file. It gives time as 24:17, I'm guessing but could this be it's trying to calculate traffic flow? I'm generally not that bothered by precise times but this looked odd.

Chat at Verdun.
Mike,

mapsource has the shortest route at 1506 miles. It has the quickest at 1513 and 22 hours 54 minutes. I usually find that the mapsource time is longer than it takes me to ride a route.

Last year I think Philip did it in about 22:30 hours. It did take Bob and I 23:50. But that was riding as a pair, with significant road closures and RTAs to deal with. Which could happen again......

Food for thought.
Minimum of 8 stops for fuel at 5 minutes each, 40 minutes. No time taken for initial fill as completed before midnight for receipt after midnight.(Master refueler level, riding solo)
At a moving average of 65 mph the route will take 23 hours and 20 minutes, plus fuel stops. Probably the slowest moving average speed you could complete the ride in.
At a moving average of 66 mph the route will take 22 hours and 55 minutes, plus fuel stops.
At a moving average of 67 mph the route will take 22 hours and 35 minutes, plus fuel stops.
At a moving average of 68 mph the route will take 22 hours and 15 minutes, plus fuel stops.
At a moving average of 69 mph the route will take 21 hours and 56 minutes, plus fuel stops.
At a moving average of 70 mph the route will take 21 hours and 36 minutes, plus fuel stops.

So keeping that moving average up near the 70mph limit it crucial. As is making those fuel stops as quick as possible.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As a guide I typically stop for total ninety minutes over a BBG1500. I complete them in around 22 hrs depending on weather traffic etc.
At that pace on the iron butt rally I get 6hrs sleep a night........ result.

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Sorry to hear about the op, on a positive note at least its being done quickly....

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
I know most people on the list are experienced members: if there are any new members to the forum considering this ride don't forget it is a Gold level ride so anyone attempting it should have completed at least an SS1000. Last year 18 people signed up but only 3 completed it. I know that the weather wasn't good, fuel stations ran out of fuel, there were equipment failures, and parts of roads on the route were closed due to road works or accidents. However, this does indicate the level of challenge involved in this ride.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Bazza it will be the standard BunBurner 1500 Gold rules with with the additional fools gold special rules. 2 start and 2 end witnessess. Start receipt, noted receipts as specified in Fools gold ride and end receipt from same place as start receipt.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Anyone starting from Pont Abraham swansea
have done a E2E will this qualify for the fool's gold ride
if you dont do it in 24hrs can you still enter the ride for a BB1500
Lynn you need to do at least a ss1000 before a Bunburner. If you do anything but a BBG1500 it would be verified in the normal way.

Dave Thomson

BBR Veteran
IBA Member
Bazza it will be the standard BunBurner 1500 Gold rules with with the additional fools gold special rules. 2 start and 2 end witnessess. Start receipt, noted receipts as specified in Fools gold ride and end receipt from same place as start receipt.
Just checking about the start and end receipts. I know that you need them (obviously), but I didn't think they had to be from the same place. At the end of the day, as long as you ride 1500 miles in the time, I didn't think it mattered where you start and finish.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just checking about the start and end receipts. I know that you need them (obviously), but I didn't think they had to be from the same place. At the end of the day, as long as you ride 1500 miles in the time, I didn't think it mattered where you start and finish.
EDIT

Hi John see Phil's Answer mine was not good enough or in-line with the rules..

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you follow the Fools Gold Route and start anywhere on the loop you will complete 1500 miles as long as you finish in the same place as you start. That is the pre verified route. If you start or finish off the route it will be verified separately in the normal way. If you do that be careful to document any corners with a receipt and ride more than 1500 miles. To be accepted as a Fools Gold ride it must be started and finished on the 1st April otherwise it will be just a BunBurner Gold.

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
Father and wife issues permitting, I am going to try and do this one.
Now if I can just get to sleep at 3 pm on the 31st.........