IBA Australia Memorial (Netallie Hill – Wilcannia)- Reflection Service23 September 2023 @ 11 am AEST

MIXR

A big thanks to those who put the memorial together and those who made it for the unveiling.. Terrific job.

It was a short but great day out in the sticks for the group and an enjoyable catch-up at dinner and afterwards as well.

I'll try and remember to post a couple a pics when I get the chance. They will include my goat. {Pics added}

Yep, with the thousands of goats lining the roads up that way like it was Mardi Gras, it was odds on that I would hit one at some stage. Not far south of Mt Hope on the way home one big bugger decided it liked the other side of the road better than the side it was on.

It darted out from some heavy bush at the road edge on my left and collided with the left side of the front wheel. It was then that it discovered that a BMW boxer engine and crash bars aren't terribly soft at 100 kph. I probably killed it instantly but it went under the cylinder down the left side bending my gear lever badly and also bending the side-stand slightly (Side-stand seems ok after closer inspection). If the bike wasn't a boxer, I'd probably have been speared through the leg by its horns and dragged off the bike.

Anyway, I kept the rubber side down and went back to get the carcass off the road. Damned nuisance.

Thanks again Team. Job well done. Mick.

A gathering of bikes and old friends.
A gathering of bikes.jpg

The memorial Site. A place of solitude and contemplation.
Befitting Memorial Old Friends.jpg

Suitably remote and befitting of the moment.
Contemplation.jpg

The one that gathered the many. Such a loss, but good ideas have a way of surviving.
Davo.jpg

Always the class clown but I and many others enjoyed the rides with him. Thanks mate.
Ever the Clown.jpg

So many goats up that way. Must have missed a couple of thousand. Got one!
F$$$$$ing Goats.jpg

Not a little one, but no match for a Boxer cylinder and crash bar!
Good size.jpg

Struck it lucky with my goat strike. Went underneath and probably hooked a horn on the gear lever as went out the back.
How did it do that.jpg

Last edited:

Fatman

Glad you kept it up Mixr and limited damage. We had a chat to Ash at Mathoura on the way home today and i mentioned to him that the goats on the Barrier hwy seem to have better road sense than the ones on the Kidman Way, ironic to now read your post.

Thanks for the pics and story, it was good wasn't it.

MIXR

Glad you kept it up Mixr and limited damage. We had a chat to Ash at Mathoura on the way home today and i mentioned to him that the goats on the Barrier hwy seem to have better road sense than the ones on the Kidman Way, ironic to now read your post.

Thanks for the pics and story, it was good wasn't it.
It's my IBA Jinx again. Kangaroos for Mansfield, floods for Nambucca and goats for Wilcannia. Maybe I need to stay home in a warm and comfy bed and slowly die of boredom! New shift lever is ordered. New front tyre being sorted today. Bike is washed. Getting ready for Albert.

And I almost made it a double hit yesterday. Had a very large Wedgetail Eagle up ahead feeding on what was probably another deceased goat. He heard me coming and took off down the road but in the same direction as me. So big and full of tucker it was a very slow takeoff low to the ground.

I slowed a little and went underneath him. I swear that if I had stood on the pegs I could have kissed him on the arse as I went underneath! Not sure why I would want to do that, but the after-thought was that I might have had a very unhappy Wedgetail come through my screen and onto my lap if I hadn't shed 10 or 20 kph.

You only remember the memorable rides and this was one of them for me. Nice turnout for the Memorial Service and yes, it was good!

Mick

Last edited:

Fatman

Under a clear blue sunny sky we gathered for this year's memorial to remember the 7 IBA Australia riders who have "Ridden On".

20230923_112117 Aaa.jpg

Apologies were received from Vlad and Gateman who were unable to make the service. Gatey was instrumental in the design, fabrication and erecting (with Skidoo's help) of the pressed metal panels and also the individual plaques for our fallen riders who are no longer with us. The panels are made from Corten metal which will rust up with time and look at one with the surroundings.

TJ lead the service with a thank you to Kwaka (Bazz) who made this area for the memorial possible. TJ then proceeded with the "Welcome" followed by "The Reminder".

The names of the IBA Aust. riders who have ridden on were then read out one at a time, followed by a long stemmed rose placed close to each of the riders plaques.

Derrick read out:

David Jones (Davo) and Mixr placed a rose by his plaque.
20230923_112034.jpg

John Ainsworth (JRA) and ACT Capo placed a rose by his plaque.
20230923_112040.jpg

John Nagle (Saaz) and Lynne the Pillion placed a rose by his plaque.
20230923_112030.jpg

John Gilbert read out:

Rob Knight (Rob Roy) and Spokesman placed a rose by his plaque.
20230923_112055.jpg

Pat McLean (Toura) and Lynne the Pillion placed a rose by his plaque.
20230923_112105.jpg

Gags read out:

Ed Brown (Ed 535) and Ox placed a rose by his plaque.
20230923_112045.jpg

Ken Topperwien (Toppy), and I (Fatman) placed a rose by his plaque on behalf of Ken's brother, Lindsay.
20230923_112051.jpg

Ash followed this by reading out the IBA memorial poem.

A minute silence was then observed.

TJ concluded the service thanking everyone who came along and invited us all for a morning tea served back at the Nettalie Hills rest area but before that he asked if anyone would like to tell us a memory they have of any of the Ridden On riders, some nice stories resulted from that, thanks guys

Be sure to put next years memorial in your diary, it is a great place to pay your respects, the date is usually around this time of the year.

Thanks again to everyone that came along to this years IBA Australia memorial service.

Last edited:

Johng

Premier Member
Up early, new strategy for riding this ride i moved to start early end early. Got up around 2.15 could not sleep any longer. Headed out of garage at around 2.45am refuel head off towards Toowoomba nice and cool as i head towards the mountains get thru Toowoomba freezing my you know what off. Sunrise and it starts to warm up keeping heading west thru numerous towns towards Charleville. Along the way I see some opportunity to complete “wheels on walls”rally and got a few along the way. I arrive around lunch, time to refuel eat drink get on the way. And there he was a single Kangaroo waiting for me ( Clint Lovell warned me about his hit of a Kangaroo during the day outside Charleville) this fella was looking at me saying hahaha your Clints mate, but not this year he hopped off but now he had my attention. Headed off into the many Kms thru Cunnamulla, Bourke and as dusk is setting on the road to Cobar. The country side is full of Goats the most i have ever seen. Made it into Cobar as the dark came upon me. Had a break ready for the 280km plus to Wilcannia in the dark. The ride was great got colder as i went and about this time you start having those thoughts of, what the hell iam i doing this for, lights are good picked up the goats, and Kangaroos with no problem. Arrived to Wilcannia key in the room as promised unpack shower into bed - another ride done.

Attachments