Farriders website unavailable,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimmie

I'm sorry everyone that it seems we may have lost FarRiders. I still haven't heard from the new owners and like the rest of the Team and members are in the dark.

I can say that EVERYONE is welcome to the RTE's that have been posted here.

Hopefully see some faces not seen in many years & maybe some new ones.

I'll be checking to see if anything FR turns up & let you know but I'm sure some of you are doing the same.

Someone I know who's an internet guru observed that it looks to him like they have allowed the domain registration to expire.
Doesn't augur well for any sort of continuation of the tradition. Once you go changing the basics, like the URL link then it starts to look like a relaunch with different assumptions. A deliberate break from the past?
I have noticed that at least 3 people are bidding on the farriders.com name. This will only get the the rights to the redirection to a website when someone types farriders.com into Google. It doesn't give you all the forum contents or even the forum itself.

If it has been allowed to go to auction the new owners (if at all) don't plan to use that in the future of FarRiders.

Research what you get if you bid on the URL name. It may not be what you think.

Hi Guys just logged back in here after a hiatus due to foressen/unforseen health issues. No longer riding due to epilepsy episodes, no bike :( Am quite shocked and saddened to discover these recent changes. Hope things work out. There is an awful lot of history with FarRiders which really came out from Davos Original GTR Aus forum.
Sgt Schultz (I know nuffink) still "knows nuffink" lol

Rusjel

Premier Member
Great to hear from you Sarge! I’m sorry about the riding but hope your general health is better.

Im still hoping for the best wrt to Farriders, but we’ll see.

What I saw in WA yesterday was a group of people who love distance riding getting together for a meal. Maybe Farriders will survive and we’ll get some record of our ride in a spreadsheet somewhere, but the important stuff happened yesterday.

Biggles

Premier Member
I have a copy of the webpage with all the rides by every member up until 6th June this year. I'm sure others have it too, and Clint probably has the database.
I have a fear that even if one of us were to secure the URL, we would then have to negotiate to get the rights to the associated FarRiders titles, since they were secured legally to protect the owner's investment.

kwaka

Premier Member
My 1c re. FarRiders.

Domain farriders.com resolves to IP addy: 34.98.99.30 (which is Google LLC). Weird but nothing unusual as it's easy to point a domain/website/webpage to another. See below.

Domain farriders.com.au was registered by me on Pat's (TOURA's) behalf. He in turn asked me to hand it over to Clint which was done before Pat left us. Clint pointed farriders.com to farriders.com.au however, the farriders.com.au domain no longer responds to any ping.

The amount of notice given regarding selling up/bailing out of FarRiders was minimal to say the least.

The Internet Archive (WayBack Machine) has some of the FarRider website stuff.

GTR-AUS is still up and running. Be patient, the site does take a sec or two to load.

Cheers,
Bazz

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
If I may throw out a thought:

This seems like the perfect opportunity for someone to start a brand-new venture from the ashes of the Farriders site and sidestep these problems altogether. There's something similar happening right now with the dissolution of the GWRRA; two entities have stepped up to fill the gap and are growing rapidly.

Forum software is ubiquitous, domains and server space are easily procured, and proper marketing would make it clear that the new site is the spiritual successor to Farriders.

It's always "impossible" until someone who doesn't know any better comes along and just does it.

Why build a new building on a broken foundation?

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I've had that impression for a while now (been watching this thread silently from the beginning).

The view from my seat is that there's a lot of interest in something being done; I'm just watching to see if anyone takes the bull by the horns and says "Screw it, I'm not waiting anymore... I'll do it myself."

It seems like a great opportunity to learn from mistakes of the past and build something better without the baggage - a Farriders 2.0, if you will.

Just my thought.

Dare I say but a new group has already been formed with 96 members joined in just 10 days. FB based currently but website & app to follow.
We are loosely based off FarRiders but don't necessarily want to duplicate that format entirely, we're open to new ideas & on the lookout for Admins/State delegates
All former FarRiders are welcome but if you want to do your own thing then that's fine too. PM me if you'd like more info

Last edited:

kwaka

Premier Member
@Daisy and @OX-34
Even though I've got a personal fb account, must be years but can't remember the last time I actually logged into it.
So ditto, add me to the non fb user list.

@Ed.
100% agree this forum could/would suit.
Be good to have a one stop shop that encompasses the many facets of long and not-so-long distance riding.
The IBA Australia admins may have a different view though.

Coming back to FarRiders and being offline for such an extended period.
The way this has been handled speaks volumes. It's certainly a huge disservice, disappointment and failure of honouring the good faith and good will of the FR founder, the members and their community.

GTR-AUS and FarRiders didn't suddenly vanish when Davo suddenly left for that endless road. Ergo, when the GTR-AUS domain and forum were transferred over to me, there was little, if any, loss of transmission.

I'm also remember the FarRiders - 10th anniversary at Moree where the CEO stated, FarRiders would never be used for profit. Sale or no sale, whatever has happened (or why), this is not the way one transitions an online presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.