Brit Butt Tour 2023

rob

just finish Wales and Scotland , with conformation from Wully thats the 90 photos done.

Attachments

just finish Wales and Scotland , with conformation from Wully thats the 90 photos done.
Well done ROB a fine achievement,, I'm a bit behind this year due to missing the whole of June with skin cancer on my left ear .Cut out now and hopefully all clear.
Regards Bob

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
1013 miles, 3 days and two nights wild camping sortie to The Southeast and (subject to Wully's verification) England's complete.
11 11th day.jpg 12 12th day.jpg 13 13th day.jpg

If the weather stays the same Wales & Scotland are up next but I might give the wild camping a miss as it wasn't a good experience.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
To pay or not to pay at the Whitney Toll Bridge?

Whitney Toll Bridge.png

On route from A-50 Croft Castle sign to D-52 Hay Castle, entering Hay from the North on the B4350 you pass over Whitney Toll Bridge where there is traffic lights, an automatic barrier and pay booth that accepts cards or coins. The signage states "all motor vehicles £1". Fair enough it supports the upkeep of the bridge, unlike some other (stealth tax) tolls we could mention. I happily parted with a £1 coin, a little inconvenient to glove off, dig out a coin and glove on but hey ho the barrier opened and I was soon on my way.

Later I felt cheated as it transpires that motorcycles using the toll bridge can pass for free! Motorcycles just ride around the barrier like the free to pass cyclists do. Also not clear at the toll gate is that you can cross the bridge as many times as you like for one toll fee in one day, the toll ticket has a bar code and the pay booth a bar code reader.

What was mum's advice? "Look after the pennies..."

Last edited:

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Another 9 bagged on a 900 mile 2 day sortie making progress in the new 20 mph zones across Wales. Lost count of the number of 20 limit signs I saw that had been defaced, I'm guessing its hasn't been a popular scheme with the locals. Had to do 44 Cardigan Castle twice because I forgot the bike first time around, just as well I realised it only a couple of miles down the road. A proper nightmare of an extended ride home with miles and miles of closed motorways and arterial roads. The icing on the cake came around midnight by way of a speed camera van set up and doing good business where traffic had been diverted off a dual carriageway into a residential 30 which got me at about 35 and braking, touch wood.

15 15th & 16th day Wales tour.jpg

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
For anyone crossing the Pont Cleddau at 40 mph and then some "Dim Tollau O'ch Blaen" translates to 'No Tolls Ahead'

Apparently in 2017 the Welsh Government announced it would be scrapping the tolls on the Cleddau Bridge as part of the two-year budget deal the Welsh Government negotiated with Plaid Cymru to increase economic competiveness and better connect people, communities and businesses with jobs, markets and facilities.

Take note Kahn, stop the Khanage and keep Rotherhithe, Blackwall and Silvertown Thames crossings toll free and make the Dartford Thames Crossing Toll free like we were promised back in 1999

Last edited: