IBA Australia - 20th Anniversary 50CC Ride

Fatman

Michael are you planning on getting a Spotwalla "location page" set up for this ride?
It would be good to know where all of the riders are during the event.
Thanks Ox, I hadn't thought of a Spotwalla "location page", good idea though. I was thinking just adding a post here where riders could add their Spots links to ..

I have no experience in the Spotwalla location page and now that I look at it I don't seem to have the access to create one.
Is that something you can create Ox or does it need TJ who has magical power to create?

HACKLE

My first thought for the day was..... As part of my 50CC preparation I completed a SS1600 yesterday. Leaving Bairnadale at midnight I rode to Tintinara in South Australia and back. Unfortunately on arriving back in Bairnsdale I didn't have sufficient kilometres to qualify, so it was onto Johnsonville for the extra k's and all was good. It had been a particularly difficult ride with extremely bad fog from Stratford all the way to Drouin. From there on it was plain sailing. Oh, and it was bloody cold as well, thank god for heated clothing.
The second thought is that riders might want to change their schedules if using Glendambo to Coober Pedy as fuel stops. Guy Allen an old mate from Peter Stevens Motorcycle days is riding from Darwin to home in Melbourne on a newly purchased second-hand BMW. He has stated and I find it interesting that it's 275 k's to Glendambo not 254 as Google states. That's fuel to fuel. Anyway it's only 20 k's. This'll have you all checking now. Cheers.

Wombattle

I'm really looking forward to this sufferfest, it's been a while. I'll be staying at the Guiding Star prior to the start too and plan to have a long rest in Marla. It's a 50CC for me and I'll be spending a couple of days in Darwin at the Mantra on the Esplanade. So I'm a definite for the Sunday evening debrief. I don't have time to ride back so I'm sticking the bike in the mail for its return trip and flying home via Brissie on the redeye kangaroo early Tuesday morning. My approach for this ride is very relaxed, I reckon I'll be using most of the 50 hours and if TigerBill tells me I can manage fuel on the GS without a jerry that's what I'll be doing. I thought about a warmup ride but was worried it might discourage me :). See you all soon!

Roadbandit

Hi All
As I was heading to the Border rally, I decided I'd do a dummy run from Westgate United South to Pt Augusta. I found a few things I thought worthy of mentioning.

1. After leaving Westgate United South, head over the westgate as per usual for a few km. Once upon a time, before all the roadworks and tunnelling started, you'd exit LEFT onto the M80 to connect with the Western Highway.
Dont do that!! Stay RIGHT! You'll come to a barrier that splits the traffic, doesn't matter which side of that barrier you're on. Once you are past the barrier, be in the RIGHT 2 lanes. They will get you to the Western Highway. DAMHIK
If you stuff it up, just keep going toward Geelong and take the Kororoit Creek exit and come back. It is as confusing AF!

2. I exited on the Old Princess Highway into Murray Bridge only to find the bridge (B55, Bridge Street) closed. There appeared to be some serious roadworks going on. A 15 minute detour via Mannum and a ferry ride had me back on track. I'd suggest exiting on the B35 instead.

3. Mt Pleasant to Gawler is pretty well 80km/h the whole way and well policed. Makes it fairly slow through there.

4 Toward Lochiel, there's some roadworks with a dirt detour. Only about a km or 2. Fine nwhen dry but I'm not sure if it's a clay surface so could be sketchy if wet.

5. Once again, near Lochiel, road widening and about 10-15km of roadworks with some 40km/h sections. I didn't think it was too bad but it costs time.

Last edited:
In other news, while I'm probably unlikely to be sitting on the back of the bike, I will be there to see you all off and sign a few witness forms at the start. I am also starting to help out with verifying rides and issuing certificates... And so I have a few requests to help us verify your rides faster and issue your certificates pronto!
  • If you can, please use Spotwalla to track your ride. This saves me/us a huge amount of time as it's very reliable for verification purposes. If Spotwalla isn't an option for you, using an app on your phone like Rever is better than nothing and can also help us verify faster. If you can’t that’s fine- it might just take us a little longer to get your certificate to you.
  • For advanced users (or those willing to learn more advanced skills), uploading your start and finish receipts into your Spotwalla track would be very much appreciated and again will help with faster verification. Kiwi Martin has agreed to help with this and we might see if we can arrange some early info to assist.
  • Please pay your application fees when/before you submit your application. For 50CC rides this will be US$65 for a paper certificate posted to you or US$60 for a PDF emailed to you. For those doing the 100CCC it's US$85 for a paper certificate and US$80 for PDF only. If you can attach a screenshot or PDF of the payment confirmation that would also be appreciated.
  • A reminder for those attempting the 100CCC that you can't 'trade' hours between your outbound and inbound legs. Even if you leave Darwin less than 50 hours after your start receipt in Melbourne (e.g. with 48 hours on the clock), you still only have 50 hours to get back to Melbourne (not 52!)
  • Ensure your application is sent to [email protected] and if you're using the standard email form from the website, don't worry about completing the 'did you ride this with anyone', or the 'three to five cities for your certificate' as we'll know who did it and the certificates will all have the same cool places on them! If you do have special requests for your certificate please let us know.
Any questions about any of the above (or anything else, really) feel free to hit me up!
Bec

Last edited:

tj189

Premier Member
Hi Crew,
Chris W has kindly set up a location page for the ride - it is operational now and will be live until the end of August (covering both 50CC and 100CCC rides).
For those riding, the link to join the page is https://new.spotwalla.com/lp/8a35-27ddd64-c7f4/join - AUIBA is the join password
For those riding the couch, the page to see what's going on is https://new.spotwalla.com/lp/8a35-27ddd64-c7f4/view
A nice gesture by Chris to set this page up.
For those riders reasonably new to this sport of ours, there are a few points that you may wish to consider:
  • There is no requirement for riders attempting this ride to share their link on the Location Page, it is a matter of personal choice.
  • The IBA forum is a public forum, as is the the Location Page that has been set up for this ride and links provided may be accessed by anyone to follow your ride and/or analyse it, as has happend on previous occasions.
  • Reflect on why you wish to publicly share your ride. It is possible to share a password protected link to others if you wish to keep them informed or in case of an accident.
  • Lastly, ask yourself, what negative information may be gained from the data available and how could it be used to discredit you or the IBA.

Fatman

In other news, while I'm probably unlikely to be sitting on the back of the bike, I will be there to see you all off and sign a few witness forms at the start. I am also starting to help out with verifying rides and issuing certificates... And so I have a few requests to help us verify your rides faster and issue your certificates pronto!
  • If you can, please use Spotwalla to track your ride. This saves me/us a huge amount of time as it's very reliable for verification purposes. If Spotwalla isn't an option for you, using an app on your phone like Rever is a good alternative and again helps us verify faster. If you can’t that’s fine- it might just take us a little longer to get your certificate to you.
  • For advanced users (or those willing to learn more advanced skills), uploading your start and finish receipts into your Spotwalla track would be very much appreciated and again will help with faster verification. Kiwi Martin has agreed to help with this and we might see if we can arrange some early info to assist.
  • Please pay your application fees when/before you submit your application. For 50CC rides this will be US$65 for a paper certificate posted to you or US$60 for a PDF emailed to you. For those doing the 100CCC it's US$85 for a paper certificate and US$80 for PDF only. If you can attach a screenshot or PDF of the payment confirmation that would also be appreciated.
  • A reminder for those attempting the 100CCC that you can't 'trade' hours between your outbound and inbound legs. Even if you leave Darwin less than 50 hours after your start receipt in Melbourne (e.g. with 48 hours on the clock), you still only have 50 hours to get back to Melbourne (not 52!)
  • Ensure your application is sent to [email protected] and if you're using the standard email form from the website, don't worry about completing the 'did you ride this with anyone', or the 'three to five cities for your certificate' as we'll know who did it and the certificates will all have the same cool places on them! If you do have special requests for your certificate please let us know.
Any questions about any of the above (or anything else, really) feel free to hit me up!
Bec
Pillion Piglet, thank you for stepping up and helping with the verification process and issuing of the certificates, explaining some good points is also very much appreciated.

See you soon in Port Melbourne.