IBA Australia - 20th Anniversary 50CC Ride

Fatman

We should all be in Darwin by Sunday at 0400hr (AEST), having arrived spread out over perhaps several hours.

I realise the dinner is planned and drinks beforehand, but that is 12 hours post ride.

I'm committed to being back in Melbourne Tuesday so I'm planning a 100CCC.

Any plans to meet in the dark on Sunday morning to mark the finish of the 50CC?

Hi Ox, no plan but good idea, I guess the obvious spot would be the 24hr Shell Coles Express servo @ 37 Daly St may be the best place if riders want to hang around if able and congratulate fellow riders as they come in. You can usually get a hot/cold drinks and some food if required so that would be great if riders would like to do that.

Hopey

We should all be in Darwin by Sunday at 0400hr (AEST), having arrived spread out over perhaps several hours.

I realise the dinner is planned and drinks beforehand, but that is 12 hours post ride.

I'm committed to being back in Melbourne Tuesday so I'm planning a 100CCC.

Any plans to meet in the dark on Sunday morning to mark the finish of the 50CC?
Hey OX
I was planning to head straight back as well but down to the three ways and down to Canberra
Would be great to do a 100CC as well (probably only chance I'll ever get) depending on how I feel but if I'm finished the 50CC before you head off I might try and hop in to your slip stream for the company but don't want to slow you down or if you are ok with it
See how we go on the day.

Thank you

Hopey

Good day All,

A certain person mentioned the Anniversary Ride to me a little while back. Whilst I used to be on this forum I must have dropped off and needed to re-register...all sorted now so here I am.

I read Derrick's report at the beginning of this thread and re-lived the ride. I had my version of the ride report but I cant seem to locate it currently (far to many computers between then and now).

In any case I plan to be at the start and would very much like to sign your paperwork in conjunction with other witnesses.

I have not ridden for a lot of years, though there is an R1150RT-P still in my shed that I must do something about. :rolleyes:

As Derrick mentioned I rode a 2000 Honda XL1000V Varadero back then. The Dero had a 27litre fuel tank but as it could be a little thirsty at speed due to the panniers and touring screen I added a 5gallon (IIRC) foam filled dragster fuel tank that was bolted to the rear rack and the GIVI frames. This gave me a total fuel capacity of about 40litres. There was a tap and a t-piece allowing the aux tank to flow into the main fuel line (and gravity top-up the main tank). There was also a ScottOiler to keep the chain lubed. I did find that the Dero developed a bit of an aerodynamic weave above about 130kph (no limit in the NT back then) due, I expect, to the panniers sticking out so far therefore our overall speed was limited by me. On the positive side, that helped with my fuel consumption.

Varadero 50CC Darwin sml.jpeg
Outside the hotel in Darwin on the day that I was heading home.

Early on the day that we departed I filled up at the local servo and spoke with the staff member about the planned ride. Seven days later upon my arrival home, I did a final fill up at the same servo and the same staff member was on duty. He remembered me and asked me when I was heading off on the ride and I told him that I was back. He was dumbfounded.

Enough reminiscing from me.

Take care and have fun.

Regards
Bernard
IBA# - 7623
FR# - forgot and can't check now (it was a low number)

Fatman

G'day Bernard, glad you posted here, I now have your IBA # (I couldn't locate it) which I have updated on the first post.

Lynne the Pillion and I would be honoured for you to sign our start witness form on the morning and will be great to catch up with you again.

You would be more than welcome to be in the group photo prior to the start and you could perhaps wave all of us off at 2am.

Thanks Vlad for looking up Bernard's FarRide #.

tj189

Premier Member
Good day All,

A certain person mentioned the Anniversary Ride to me a little while back. Whilst I used to be on this forum I must have dropped off and needed to re-register...all sorted now so here I am.

I read Derrick's report at the beginning of this thread and re-lived the ride. I had my version of the ride report but I cant seem to locate it currently (far to many computers between then and now).

Take care and have fun.

Regards
Bernard
IBA# - 7623
FR# - forgot and can't check now (it was a low number)
Great to see you back on the forum Bernard and glad to hear you reminiscing about this ride. We would certainly appreciate your time at the start if you are able to make it.
Also look forward to seeing your original report on the ride if you can find it :)

tj189

Premier Member
Hey OX
I was planning to head straight back as well but down to the three ways and down to Canberra
Would be great to do a 100CC as well (probably only chance I'll ever get) depending on how I feel but if I'm finished the 50CC before you head off I might try and hop in to your slip stream for the company but don't want to slow you down or if you are ok with it
See how we go on the day.

Thank you

Hopey
G'day Hopey,

May I suggest a bit of research regarding the 50CC Including the " ***Special rules that apply to back-to-back rides. See here. " if you intend on attempting a 100CCC.

Best wishes with your ride.

Kimmie

Well, it's certainly a STAR studded line up for this ride!!!

I like Bernard (will be nice to meet you) will be ready with pen to witness your forms on this historic occasion as per prior postings.
Additionally look forward to riding out with you (at the back of the bus obviously) to wherever I decide to stop before turning and heading home.

Now did you want me to book a table or 2 at the Guiding Star Hotel for dinner on Thursday night before start???
Add you name to the list below

Coming for dinner
Kimmie

Fatman

Well, it's certainly a STAR studded line up for this ride!!!
Now did you want me to book a table or 2 at the Guiding Star Hotel for dinner on Thursday night before start???
Add you name to the list below

Coming for dinner
Kimmie
LTP and I have altered our accomm for the Thursday night to be at the Guiding Star, but I think by dinner time we will be fast asleep. We were planning to have "our dinner" at lunch time at the pub if all goes to plan. Thanks Kimmie for the offer though, others may take you up on it.

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Like Bernard & Kimmie I'm planning on being at the start to see everyone off, and like Kimmie I look forward to riding out with you (at the back of the bus obviously) for a short time before I head back to Canberra for work on Friday.

Kimmie, re dinner at the Guiding Star Hotel Thursday night before start, I may be a starter for this, subject to what time I get away from work on Thursday afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Fatman

Like Bernard & Kimmie I'm planning on being at the start to see everyone off, and like Kimmie I look forward to riding out with you (at the back of the bus obviously) for a short time before I head back to Canberra for work on Friday.

Kimmie, re dinner at the Guiding Star Hotel Thursday night before start, I may be a starter for this, subject to what time I get away from work on Thursday afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

The more the better at the start line is good, thanks Martin see you there.

Don't forget, everyone is welcome to come down to Port Melbourne to say hi and see us all start this IBA Aust 20th anniversary 50CC............ You would be welcome even if you are in a car with a heater!

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Just ordered new Dunlop Trailmax Mission tyres from Pablos. EDIT Order failed due to no stock at two different suppliers. Oh well.
This attempt at a 50cc has been under a cloud for the last 2 months but preparations will continue.
Status.
Ride fitness moderate with none of the planned rides undertaken.
Bike prep completed: new head stem bearings, new plugs, new headlight globes ( some fine tuning to be done but acceptable ). Break/Clutch fluids changed out. Diff oil changed out. Coolant changed out. Quadlock mount and charging set up, No coms so Ill just have to watch the map arrow.
Darwin accommodation booked.
Melbourne end booked, thanks Karl.
Route planning map legs complete. Meet with Karl next weekend to consolidate and check out rest options and compare notes.

To do:

Print witness docs and ride log. Once I install a new printer.
Set up a Linkt toll account. Post pay....EDIT done.
Purchase a GPS??? No real time to learn the thing so phone it may have to be. Its only the Melbourne end that is my major monkey.
Headset comms Hmmm.
Fit and balance those new tyres.
And an oil /filter change.

Last edited: